Problem with new GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
I have been using my new 6850 for about a week. It was running fine in all games. I finished max payne 3,nfs the run and crysis 2. they were all smooth.

Idle temperatures of GPU:- 40-44 degrees
Load temperatures(games):- 62-65 degrees. once it touched 68 degrees but temps came down soon to 62.

I just decided to test it using furmark today. The burn in test ran for about 5 minutes. temperatures were constant (max=72 degrees). I then quit furmark and restarted the pc. From then as soon as I start any graphics intensive software/game, the display goes black.the monitor displays "entering power saving mode". I think the pc is shutting down.
This happens with the WEI test as well. But normal usage+youtube videos+1080p videos run fine.

Any help?
Will a windows reinstall+driver reinstall fix this? :( :(

Please help. I am worried sick with this happening with a brand new GPU :(

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Who told you to run Furmark anyways?

It pushes the card much much beyond the right limit.

For the time being, completely Uninstall Catalyst. Then use Driver Sweeper to clean out everything related to AMD/ATi. Then download and install Catalyst 12.6.

OP
J

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
How about I reinstall windows? And I just thought I'd use it since heard a lot of people use it to test gpu stability :(

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
How about I reinstall windows? And I just thought I'd use it since heard a lot of people use it to test gpu stability :(
I stick with Unigine Heaven as far as testing stability is concerned. Furmark is a known troublemaker.

First see what I told you helps or not. Windows reinstalls can be painful.

OP
J

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
I hope the card is okay.. :( and yes trying that. BTW do I have to boot using safe mode when removing ati/amd related stuff using driver sweeper?

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
People who dont know the proper use of Furmark = GPU might be destroyed

And I just thought I'd use it since heard a lot of people use it to test gpu stability
Running games at high settings is enough for stability on stock clocks. Especially if they are the type you play.'

no need to for Format do this
ico said:
For the time being, completely Uninstall Catalyst. Then use Driver Sweeper to clean out everything related to AMD/ATi. Then download and install Catalyst 12.6.

OP
J

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
Tried everything. Did not work. even reinstalled windows and installed catalyst 12.6. still not done. Even the WEI test makes the display turn off.

Any other options?

And a few questions:-

1.) I just bought this one month back. Any chance I can get a replacement from MSI or the shop where I bought it from? :(

2.) How to do RMA? And what happens if they can't fix the card in RMA?

3.) How long does RMA usually take?

4.) I haven't overclocked the card or anything. Is he warranty void just because I used furmark?

Please help me through this.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ go to Neoteric, Kolkata. I think they handle MSI's RMA. They'll replace the card. Just say it isn't working properly - the display goes off whenever you run a game. No need to go in extra details and NO, warranty is NOT void.

PM Cilus for exact address. He has RMAed MSI stuff, I think.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
one piece of advice to all - no matter what the review sites are saying for a normal user running furmark is almost ruining a gpu - I've never tested any of my gpus using furmark and even if a game makes your gpu run at 80c it won't damage the gpu but touching 72c using furmark is enough to brick it - so never use furmark instead using becnhmark softwares like 3DMark or in game benchmarks are much safer.

OP
J

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
I should have asked here before using it. :( But the damage is done.. :( Lets see if I can get a replacement or not...

saswat23

Human Spambot
Contact Smartlink Networks. They handle RMA for MSI and other brands like Intel, Zotac, Strontium, Beetel, Digilite.
Check here: Smartlink Network Systems Ltd
Choose east and select your Kolkata area and contact 'em.

And they promise to RMA most products in 7 days or at max 15 days.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Don't worry Jripper, RMA service of MSI is very good in Kolkata. You'll get your card replaced. Will send you Ganesh' number today who is the gead distributor of MSI in Kolkata.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom