Problem with Linux Live Distros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
Hey guys, I have got Red hat 9 Cds. My friends have challenged me that I cannot install it myself. I have accepted their challenge .Please guide in some simple steps to install it .
Remember I m a noob in Linux, but not in windows.

I currently have XP SP2 . I want a dual boot with Linux.
Please help me out guys .....
Izzat ka sawal hai yaaron...

Last edited:

eddie

El mooooo
Izzat ka sawal hai? Then first of all throw those Redhat 9 CDs from you window. No way in this world will you be able to install that on a reasonable modern system without facing some difficulty. You would be missing drivers (specially if you are installing on a SATA hard drive) and lose face in front of your friends. Get hold of a modern distro like Ubuntu 6.06 or OpenSuSE 10.1 and install that.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
if u have ever installed windows then u could do it on ur own but u need to be familar with few terms.
so check this guide

the most tricky phase of install is partion, so do it carefully else u might lose ur data, i thing that i did as a n00b, in the partioning stage delete the partion in which u have to install rh9, use the free space to create a partion & choos automactically create partion. a root & swap partion will be created with nessary atrributes.

Last edited:
OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
guys , just read the guide at red hat website link given by gary4gar. Its too lengthy. I tried to understand it and began installing my linux.
But after a few "next" steps , it asked for automatic or manual partitioning, I selected Automatic. Then It gave three options saying 1.Remove all linux partitions, 2.remove all partitions .3. use free space available .

I didnt tried the middle one and the other two didnt worked, it said could not find free space.
Do i have to delete a partition prior to installing Linux , so that i can use that partition for linux???
Also if some one could gimme the summary of that humongous guide on red hat's site , I will be very thankful to him.
Or if anyone of u have ever installed Red hat 9 linux , please help me....

praka123

left this forum longback
if u can select manual partng and select free space and make a logical partn and label it as /
BTW RH9 is a old distro AND after redhat 9 RH started Fedora Community Linux FYI.latest is Fedora Core 5

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
~Phenom~ - You were lucky not to end up erasing your entire HDD that way... choose manual parting and delete the one thats emptied, or if its already been made free space just make a 1~ GB Swap file and rest /. Then you are done, but yeah RH9 is crap, I too would suggest what eddie told above :\

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
~Phenom~ said:
I know RH9 is too old but its in our syallabus thats why.
Oh man our schools and colleges can't come out of pre-historic times.
Anyways, go ahead with the isntall. If you have some recent hardware, it's may give you a bit of headache. You should be fine after using it for sometime.

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
My PC config:
P4 2.4 GHz
Intel 845GVSR MOBO
512MB RAM
250GB HDD

XP SP2

What say guys , can RedHat9 be installed on this system???

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
Who said its SATA???
Its IDE.
BTW, good news , I successfully installed Red Hat 9 on my PC , all alone .
Ok , to tell the truth I dialled a friend's number and took his advice .
Hurray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
good to see u install it ur self ur with ur friend. there is a common saying that "where there is a will there is a way" always believe in it. anyways good luck for future remember Hardwork conquers all

Last edited:
OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
thanx gary4gar.
Well now , I wanna mount partitions in Linux and commands which worked in Ubuntu given in this thread earlier , are not working. Any idea???

mehulved

Now, check your syllabus, does it just ask for basic *nix commands or goes into the depth of Red Hat Linux?
If it's just basic linux usage, do one thing now. Upgrade to Fedora Core 5 or install Ubuntu 6.06.1 becuase the core of the system will be the same, as all the underlying GNU utilities are the same in all distros, just that they will be newer and better in recent distros.
It's highly recommended you stay with times rather than move at the pace of your college/university.
Or if you can still spare some space, install some recent distro on another partition, as it will be eaiser to maintain the latest distros.
And, do remember to install yum in RHL 9, if you haven't already done so, it will be very helpful to install/remove/upgrade softwares. Though the downside is that it will look towards internet only to install new softwares.
7 out of 12 Virtual Terminals ie. alt+ ctrl + F1 to F7 should already be available on your system by default. Normally, Xorg runs on Virtual Terminal 7. This should explain you more *www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/Keyboard-and-Console-HOWTO.html#ss7.1

Last edited:
OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
hey guys , sorry for bugging u again. I made a mistake while installing RH9 by alloting a whoping 25GB partition to it. I m facing free space crisis now.
Now I wanna allocate just 5GB for it, so I wanna know can it be installed in 5GB space or it will need more???
Next , I need to know whats the procedure of uninstalling it????
I m planning to install Fedora core 5 and ubuntu alongwith RH9 , all these in the same 25GB space as I dont have any more free partition/space to use.
I want all these 3 distros without affecting my XP installation.
please help....

mehulved

Why do you want to keep RH 9?
Just format the 25GB partition and install FC5 and/or Ubuntu 6.06.1 on the partitions. Nothing else you will have to do.
Don't really try to resize the RH 9 partition, it can cause your system to become unstable if not unusable. If you want to use all three then just install them again.
IMO, you should use GRUB from FC or Ubuntu as your bootloader then, instead of the one supplied by RH 9.

praka123

left this forum longback
you can resize lin partn to 5GB,but it requires advanced understanding,anyway dont blame me :) u can use gparted livecd 4 that!right click on ur partn no for resize options

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
@tech ur future, RH9 is in our course and all our books are specifically on RH9 , also in our college computers only RH9 is installed,also our teacher told to use only RH9.
Thats why I wanna use both RH9 and FC5 to do both as in our course and to get the latest in the business.
please tell me the procedure to install both RH9 and FC5 in the same 25 GB partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom