Problem with Linux Live Distros.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Don't install it on the same partition. Make separate partitions for each distro.
BTW, RH 9 and FC 5 are both from red hat so, their working will be very alike only difference will be that FC 5 will have newer softwares and kernel 2.6 though u can install kernel 2.4 as well, that's what RH 9 runs on. IMO, it's not worth it to install RH 9, when installing FC.

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
@tech ur future , u earlier told me to check my syallabus . I have gone through it but couldnt get anything.
I m posting it here. then u decide the distro for me.

Unit-I

Introduction: Basic concepts of the operating system, commands , shells , processes , users and groups , file system and directories. system installation , configuration and upgrade.
Installation stages , network intallation , disk partitioning , post install system customisation and upgrade ; dpkg and APT package installation , remove , upgrade and query , semi automatic system installation.

Kernel: kernel Tasks; managing kernel modules at runtime, kernel configuration and compilation; boot loaders and LILO.

Unit-II
Linux Networking
Basic concepts of networking:Network Packets ,TCP/IP protocol suit, address resolution protocol(ARP);IP addresses and network mask;subnets and routing;IPV4 and network classes ;ports. Configuring linux machine on the network;arp;ipconfig and netstat commands . Network services and tools : rsh,ftp,rcp,ssh,rsync,inetd. conf; opening and closing ports.

Network File System(NFS):
File system sharing over the network;RPC service; NFS server and client sides;NFS installation and configuration ; static mount and automount configurations; troubleshooting NFS ; security and performance optimization.

Network Information service(NIS)
centralized authentication systems; sharing user and host information over the network;NIS server and client sides;NIS installation and configuration; compatibilty mode; netgroups;security issues.

UNIT-III
Integrating linux and windows
Elements of windows networking:NetBios,SMB/CIFS protocols, domain controller; samba server on linux for centralized windows logon, file sharing and printing; samba client; samba installation and configuration; unix and windows passwords. Dual Boot: running windows and linux on the same PC;GRUB and NT Boot Loaders ; accessing windows file system from linux and vice-versa.

Light weight directory access protocol(LDAP)
overview of the unix authentication and naming services; introduction toLDAP; domain component(DC), organisational unit(OU), common names, schemas, ldif format , services, ports and commands ; server and client sides; open LDAP installation and configuration;
LDAP applications. Shell scripting , syntax of bash; looping;case statement; function;command substituion; awk, grep, sed. Startup and Run levels . Scheduled jobs . Boot up and login process sequence ; run levels ; stsrtup scripts ; scheduling jobs with at and cron.

UNIT-IV
Linux Security
System vulnerabilities;port scanning; encryption, encrypted services and connections ;PGP/GPG. Intrusion protection :TCP wrappers ,Ip firewals(IPtables), NAT, DMZ, intrusions detection systems :tripwire , secure system management practices.

Email Server
Steps of email transaction; email enevelope and headers ;SMTP servers ;IMAP and pop3 servers ;
email relay;post fix configuration; and spam and viruses.

Linux computationla clusters
Overview of linux clusters and clusterng tools ; high performance computational clusters ;message passing interface(MPI) for parallele programming ;MPI compilation and installation ; schedulong and queue systems ,sun grid engine (SGE); cluster management tools .

Domain name server
Host name resolution, domain name hierarchy;DNS zones ; configuration of master , slave and caching DNS servers with BIND9.

Books recommended to us:
1.Red Hat Linux 9-Bell & Duff-Pearson
2. Complete reference,Red hat Linux-Richard L.Peterson-TMH
3.Linux Network Administration Guide by Terry Dawson, Gregor N.purdy, Tony Bautts -Oreilly
4.Red Hat Linux 9 Bible-Christopher negus by Wiley Publishing
5.Linux Configuration & Installation by Patrick Volker Ding,Kevin Richard, Eric Fostor-Johnson BPB Publication
6.Linux Programming Bible by John Goerzen-Wiley DreamTechIndia(P) Ltd.

Request: If u can gimme the links to some ebooks on linux, I will be thankful to u.

Also , I have to purchase some books for linux , so which book(s) will u recommend me to purchase.

Pathik

Google Bot
afaik u need to format the 25gb partition.. Create 3partitions of 6,6,8 gb ext3 part + a 2gb swapspace.. Then install rh9 on the 6gb one then ubuntu 6.06 on the other 6gb nd atlast fc5 on the 8gb one... Cos acc to me fc5 has a better bootloader than d oder 2.. Nd shd be the active one..

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
Alright first I need to uninstall RH9.
I have just seen in My comuter>manage>storage>disk management.
It is showing 3 unknown healthy partitions of size 102MB , 22.19GB and 1020MB. It is also showing all other partitions namely C: (primary partition), E:,F:,G:,H:
I m thinking to delete these three patitions and then run fixmbr command in recovery console using Bootable XP CD.
Will I able to uninstall RH9 and also its Boot loader this way ???
Please reply soon.

Last edited:

Pathik

Google Bot
but 1c u format ur linux part.. U dont need to run fixmbr if u r goin to install it again.. The bootloader ll b overwritten in d mbr by the bootloader of the last linux u install

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
ok , as u say pathiks .
I m on my way....
hoping for the best ....
System theek raha to phir milenege....

mehulved

~Phenom~ said:
@tech ur future , u earlier told me to check my syallabus . I have gone through it but couldnt get anything.
I m posting it here. then u decide the distro for me.
Request: If u can gimme the links to some ebooks on linux, I will be thankful to u.

Also , I have to purchase some books for linux , so which book(s) will u recommend me to purchase.
Oh man you are asking this to a commerce student. I really don't have any idea on which book to buy. I just pick up any book from my library pertaining to the desired topic, read few man pages, google it up or ask here. Maybe someone who's studying in the same field can help you.
But, as I see in your syllabus there's really nothing that is specific to RH 9. Though it can happen that you'll will be using older version of an application in your college but FC has newer version which may slightly differ and will tend to have more functions.
But, I can say for sure you won't really miss software from RH 9 in FC 5. ANd I'd recommend ubuntu since you'll have dpkg too in your syllabus. IMO, debian based distros are system admin's most favoured distros. Well, this statement may vary from people to people.

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
@tech ur future , u r a commerce student???
u surprised me coz a person with so much knowledge in linux and computers is supposed to be in computer field. LOL.
So u r doing B.Com.???

@pathiks,qwertymaniac , I did as I said earlier. I deleted those three partitions and repartitioned them into two partitions of 8 GB each and rest 8GB as unpartitioned space for RH9.
Then I successfully installed RH9 on this unsintalled space.
I m feeling good now.
Thanx for help to all the people above.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
@~Phenom~
well tech is not alone, me too a commerce student!
and who says that computer is for only science ppl???

mehulved

~Phenom~ said:
@tech ur future , u r a commerce student???
u surprised me coz a person with so much knowledge in linux and computers is supposed to be in computer field. LOL.
So u r doing B.Com.???
Well I don't really have much knowledge of computers but I just like electronics so I just make it a point to learn anything in computers I can lay my hands on. And nothing better than practical knowledge.
I am hoping to do MCA now so I can get into computer field.
I finished my BCom in Banking and Insurace last academic year.
Coming to the point. Now that you installed RH 9, ubuntu and fedora should be a snap as they are much more simpler and have better hardware detection, also some newer utilities.
I feel you should give around 4-5 GB only to RH 9 partition and only use it if really necessary. And make rest of the space as an extra partition, maybe a fat partition if you don't have one already. Or maybe one partition where you can share common files between distros.
BTW, you made a swap partition? Also, use that same swap partition amongst all the distros. No need for separate swap partitions for all distros.

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
tech_your_future said:
I feel you should give around 4-5 GB only to RH 9 partition and only use it if really necessary. And make rest of the space as an extra partition, maybe a fat partition if you don't have one already. Or maybe one partition where you can share common files between distros.
BTW, you made a swap partition? Also, use that same swap partition amongst all the distros. No need for separate swap partitions for all distros.
I gave 7GB to RH9. and made 2 FAT partitions of around 8GB each , all through the same 25GB partition. And how can I create a partition to share common files between distros????
And while RH9 installation , I did automatic partitioning , so all three partitions including swap were made automatically. Now , how can I use that same swap partition for all distros???

Also, I m planning to install FC5 and ubuntu in rest 2 partitions of 8GB each, will 8GB be sufficient for FC5??? Also , should I install Ubuntu or FC5 first???
And , also u mean to say that I will not face any difficulty while installing both ubuntu and FC5???

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
8 GB would be 'just' sufficient, install only the reqd. packs then, I'd still recommend atleast 10 for any distro whatsoever.

mehulved

Can you list your current partition structure so I can get a more clear idea
Code:
su
fdisk -l
should give you this.
Keep one of the distros as your primary distro allocate it around 10-11GB and divide the rest amongst the other two. I'd suggest FC 5 as your primary distro as you'll would be working on RH in your college. So, it would be wise to install FC 5 last.
To share the swap partition, you will have to do manual partitioning for that and select the same swap partition for all the distros.
Just be ready to experiment you feel apprehensive at first but as you will go on it will feel like a piece of cake.
Be careful not to touch the windows partition if you aren't too confident about partitioning.
And use the GRUB of FC.

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
@tech ur future , here it is:

To run a command as administrator (user "root"), use "sudo <command>".
See "man sudo_root" for details.

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/hda: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hda1 * 1 3040 24418768+ c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/hda2 3041 30401 219777232+ f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/hda5 3041 4060 8193118+ b W95 FAT32
/dev/hda6 4061 5080 8193118+ b W95 FAT32
/dev/hda7 6081 12159 48829536 b W95 FAT32
/dev/hda8 12160 18238 48829536 b W95 FAT32
/dev/hda9 18239 24317 48829536 b W95 FAT32
/dev/hda10 24318 30401 48869698+ b W95 FAT32
/dev/hda11 5081 5093 104391 83 Linux
/dev/hda12 5094 5950 6883821 83 Linux
/dev/hda13 5951 6080 1044193+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Partition table entries are not in disk order
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

Now , I have been told that FC5 needs arounnd 10GB min. for all the packages
to be installed. So I m planning to delete my remaining 2 partitions of 8GB each and install FC5 on the resultant 16GB partition . and use ubuntu only as Live CD whenever required.

One more option I m thinking is to allot 6 GB to ubuntu and remaining 10GB to FC5.
what say???

mehulved

IMO you should repartition all 25GB. Select manual partitioning.
Now, allocate just 5-6 GB to RH 9 it won't really need much as it won't be a primary distro.
Then allocate 12GB to FC5.
And of the left over space make a swap partition 2 times your RAM.
Now you willl have about 6-7.5 GB left, give it to ubuntu. Again this being your secondary distro you won't need much, but if you feel you want to make it a primary distro you will seriously need more space.
I recommend installing ubuntu cos you'll have package management in debian like dpkg and apt, you will never understand how powerful they are, if you just do that from a live cd. Using a live cd in this case will totally defeat your purpose.
See now you will have to decide what you prioritise, it's just suggestions from my side.

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
Thank u tech ur future and pathiks ,
I think I will let RH9 continue to rest in current 8GB and next I will install ubuntu(with all the packages available in the CD) in 6GB , then I will install FC5(with all the packages available in the CDs) in 10GB. Is that ok???
I will be doing this way coz I m a lazy man and dont want to install RH9(with all the packages) fourth time again.
Also , May I know what do u mean by primary and secondary distro ????

mehulved

by primary distro I mean the one you will be using more extensively and secondary one means just that you will be using it for anything that's specific to that one. Like you cannot really learn apt on FC or RH though apt4rpm exists, but one will surely go to ubuntu to learn about apt.

Pathik

Google Bot
hey tyf normally how much time does it take to install ubuntu 6.06...?? Wen i had installed it abt a month back it had installed in abt 1.5hr.. But now its taking more than 3hrs to install d packages.. It also blanked out in btw.. I m bored of seeing the installation.. Did i make ny mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom