Problem with Linux Live Distros.

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
Hi guys,
I m a noob in Linux. Just tried few linux live distros like Ubuntu 6.06 , also its previous version , Kububtu , DSL , but one problem was common . I couldnt access any of my HDD partitions in them. May I know , Am I missing something , or its general. But I also tried Linspire live and can access all partitions without any problems. But in all other distros , when I try to access HDD partitons , it says cannot mount.
Any suggestions???

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Phenom you have been here for over a year and have 500+ posts still you post in wrong section. You never even searched for a fix, which has been posted 'n' times in the forum.
What filesystem do you have in windows - ntfs or fat?
To mount a partition, you can give the following command
Code:
mkdir /media/c_drive
sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/hdxx /media/c_drive
[code]
Replace ntfs with vfat if you have FAT32 partitons.
Replace xx in hdxx by the partition number. You can get that from [code] sudo fdisk -l
In case you have a SATA drive, it will be /dev/sdxx instead of /dev/hdxx

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
Well , I m sorry for posting in the wrong section. I really should have searched before posting. I will take care in future. And Thanx for the solution.
I have IDE 250Gb HDD with FAT32 partitions.
U said give these commands but may i know where to give these commands ??? Do linux live distros also have command prompt. I m now gonna try it in KUbuntu. will the above solution work???

mehulved

In Kubuntu you will have Konsole. And Linux not only has terminals, command prompt as you say. But it also has virtual terminals. Press alt + ctrl + F1 to F7 and see. It can even be extended till F12. So, linux can have 12 virtual terminals and 20 virtual desktops.

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
@tech ur future, I typed The above commands in "Run Command" window , but still couldnt couldnt access the partitions. Can u guess what whats wrong????
Remember I m a complete novice in linux , there may be something obvious for you that I may miss.

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
alright the first command should have been "sudo mkdir /media/c_drive" ,the missing sudo was the problem.
Now the desired partition is mounted , but still cant play music files.
it says access denied , what to do???
All other files r working fine like text files , pdf , html files. But music files like audio/video files mp3, DAT, WMA, are not working.

mehulved

Music files won't work in most live cd's cos they can't include mp3 support. You can try something like knoppix or linspire or amarok live for that.

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
Well I think U r right , coz I have earlier used Linspire Live and all files including music files worked in them. Linspire is just another windows. I just love it. But does Linspire comes only as Live CD and cannot be installed???? I m thinking about getting rid of windows and shifting to linux but I want the shift to be smooth.

mehulved

Well if you do install linux then you can install win32codecs which will let you play all multimedia files.
Linux can handle most of the things that you can do in windows, unless you have some software that work only on linux.
The thing is you cannot install softwares on live cd. And those distros released under GPL cannot have proprietory software. MP3 is proprietory so, no mp3 support out of the box on these distros.
But, enabling it is no big deal.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
~Phenom~ said:
I m thinking about getting rid of windows and shifting to linux but I want the shift to be smooth.
if u want a smooth shift install ubuntu 6.06 windows xp as dual boot. if linux does not work for u then u can do the same work on xp.anyways

Welcome Aboard!:p

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Phenom, You can try Gentoo Linux (that came with Digit mag). It comes with XMMS,
MPlayer, & Beep Media Player out of the box!! Try it, You will like it!!
It's a Live CD & install CD rolled into one.

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
@Jguru, I have tried Gentoo and faced the problem below
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34450 or
"well , i think there is some problem in the image , i could not use it successfully. Firstly i thought there might be somthing wrong in the CD , so i burnt another another CD but in vain."

Now , Linux has been included in our course (B.Tech. IT Final Year) , so I have to install some linux in my system also , to practice at home. Well , at our college they have Red Hat(may be version 9) installed on all systems. But , I want to know that should I also install RedHat at home or Can I install Ubuntu or any other distro at home and do the same work that can be done in RedHat. They r basically gonna teach us some commands , shell prompt,etc.
Which distro will u advice me to install on my system???
Remember I m a complete noob in Linux. Please help.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
@Phenom - Since you are gonna use it to practice your college course, get Fedora Core 4/5 for the purpose. Its the new distro from Red Hat and is also based on that. If you want to try Ubuntu, its based on Debain system, and will slightly be different than the Red Hat ones. Fedora is easy as well. No harm in trying it out.
For ubuntu you can check this thing I wrote today.

Ps. Can you do me a small favor? Send me some brief details of your IT course if you can via PM, cause I've taken the same thing and wanna know more about it.

@JGuru - Man, why did you suggest Gentoo to a new beginner ? :(

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Qwerty, I suggested it since it comes with MPlayer, XMMS , so the a Linux newbie
can play MP3 & VCD/DVD & other video formats. Everyone asks in the forum, how
can play MP3 or DVD in my Linux distro!!

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Yeah right, I hope one day all distros support it out of the box or atleast have an inbuilt configure tool like EasyUbuntu which does it for them on first boot.

mehulved

QwertyManiac said:
Yeah right, I hope one day all distros support it out of the box or atleast have an inbuilt configure tool like EasyUbuntu which does it for them on first boot.
Not possible until mp3's are GPL'ed or some other compatible license. Or ogg becomes as popularly accepted as mp3's and avi's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom