Problem with Linux Live Distros.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
What's your system config? It takes me around an hour or so to install Ubuntu, though I don't really know about dapper cos I just did dist-upgrade for dapper. That took me a whole day :p . It seems the new live cd techinque of dapper maybe a bit buggy cos there are a lot of complaints though I can't say for sure.
If you're tired of waiting for installations, install gentoo by chroot'ing from a live cd :D. Just carry on with your work while gentoo installs in the background.

Pathik

Google Bot
i m freaked out.... i removed vista + mandriva jus to make a new part for ubuntu n in d end it didnt install..... after the package selection it jus shows a blank screen...:( ... n how did u say i install gentoo ...explain in detail cos i dunno much abt linux... 8)

mehulved

Just pop in a live cd into the CD/DVD drive, preferably knoppix.
Then format the partitions required and mount them.
Then download the stage 3 tarball and untar it.
Then download latest portage then untar and unzip it too.
Then go with what is mentioned herehttp://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=5

You should go through this first *www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/
And if you are gonna install it, you can talk to me via yahoo messenger. I can help you out then or you can even talk to Satissh S or eddie they'd very likely help you and they know much more of gentoo then me.

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
after listening to u guys(linux gurus) having trouble installing ubuntu 6.06 ( me too have same CD), i m thinking to install only FC5 in 16GB partition and use ubuntu only as Live CD.

One more thing, Many people here in my town/state have come to know about free ubuntu CDs and they are ordering them in huge numbers and then misusing them pathetically.
I mean I have seen people having Ubuntu Cds in hundreds of number and they dont know what linux is, they r just ordering it because its free. They play with it as toys and even worse , they sell it to kabadiwala. I have also send many mails to ubuntu regarding this misuse but never got a reply. It really hurts seeing so much misuse of their precious resources. Can I/you/we do something about it????

Last edited:

mehulved

Nah go ahead and try to install it first. If it doesn't work then we'll see. I will check up the bug reports ASAP to see if there's any problem.

Pathik

Google Bot
@tyf wat distros r u using. M usin mandriva 2k6 nd rhel4 nw.. Hows pclinuxos junior nd freespire.. Btw phenom forget abt that.. U cant do nething abt it..n i didnt even get dos cds.. Did u get?? N do try ubuntu..

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
@pathiks , yeah I got those CDs twice , the last time it was Dapper drake. But can we really cant do anything about the wastage of ubuntu resources???

And please tell, will 6GB be sufficient for ubuntu 6.06 including all its packages in the CD???

Pathik

Google Bot
i think so.. Cos its jus 1cd.. Mandriva 2k6 is 3cds nd takes jus 5.2gb to install wit all packages.. Nd try installing in text mode

mehulved

@pathiks I am using ubuntu 6.06.1 and SLED 10 for now. Waiting to get a bit free so I can install gentoo.

mehulved

pathiks said:
u ll learn more that way nd tyf dont u like fc5 n mandriva types..??
Nope I am not at all fond of rpm distros. Just learn to use debian system management tools, IMO they leave rpm based distros far behind. Also, debian based distros have more number of optimised packages, around 18,000+.
Package management of debain systems, or portage comes from FreeBSD's ports, which is a very powerful and very well recognised package management systems. So, package management in debian based distros is just great.
That's the same reason why I recommended phenom to install ubuntu than use it from live cd, one can never understand the power of apt from a live cd.
I am not causing a distro war or something but this is a known advantage of debian based systems.
Debian is also more popular with most FOSS enthusiasts because Debain license agrees a lot with GPL. To understand that read this *www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/. It's a book written by Eric Raymond.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
tech_your_future said:
Not possible until mp3's are GPL'ed or some other compatible license. Or ogg becomes as popularly accepted as mp3's and avi's.
well, to put it technically, All the currently available MP3 players and media players in Linux are already GPLed. Its the fear of patent claims on their corresponding encoding algorithms which force distro makers to not include the codecs in CDs which are shipped from USA, or mirrors which are hosted in USA.
I mean I have seen people having Ubuntu Cds in hundreds of number and they dont know what linux is, they r just ordering it because its free. They play with it as toys and even worse , they sell it to kabadiwala. I have also send many mails to ubuntu regarding this misuse but never got a reply. It really hurts seeing so much misuse of their precious resources. Can I/you/we do something about it????

i remember, my brother's college mates used to order Ubuntu CDs in sets of 30/40.. but these days they dont order it anymore.. One dude said, he doesnt have space in his home to keep more CDs.. and heck, he doesnt have clue what to do with already ordered CDs :twisted:

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
tech_your_future said:
Nope I am not at all fond of rpm distros. Just learn to use debian system management tools, IMO they leave rpm based distros far behind. Also, debian based distros have more number of optimised packages, around 18,000+.
Package management of debain systems, or portage comes from FreeBSD's ports, which is a very powerful and very well recognised package management systems. So, package management in debian based distros is just great.
That's the same reason why I recommended phenom to install ubuntu than use it from live cd, one can never understand the power of apt from a live cd.
I am not causing a distro war or something but this is a known advantage of debian based systems.
Debian is also more popular with most FOSS enthusiasts because Debain license agrees a lot with GPL. To understand that read this *www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/. It's a book written by Eric Raymond.
I second TYF's thought.debian based r superior.i believe/expect SuSE 2 choose dpkg over rpm.

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
hey guys , just received a reply mail from ubuntu , they said they will take care in future before sending any CDs to my region.
atlast , my effort gave some result.

mehulved

That's good of you to report this.
I seriously hope this dampens the efforts of such stupid people.

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
hey guys , more trouble.
I just installed FC5 by deleting my two 8GB partitions.
Now , FC5 installed successfully but there is no option to boot into RH9.
I didnot upgrade and did a fresh install.
Now when I boot , it says FC5 or other .
In FC5 it starts FC5 and in other it starts it starts XP.

what to do????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom