** Post all your BSNL Broadband Related Queries Here **

arnab2kool

On the net
How to install the datafox plugin?

I have firefox 1.5 and I have downloaded the datafox plugin. How to install it? I cant find a way. Can anybody help me?

Thank you.

go4saket

Re: How to install the datafox plugin?

Hey, can anyone tell me what is the upload speed of BSNL Home 3300 (2 Mbps) plan...

Last edited:
Re: **Post all your BSNL Dataone Related Queries Here**

^^ 256Kbps is the upload bandwidth which translates to roughly 20~30KBytes/sec in realtime

go4saket

r u sure of this... do u have 3300 plan or u came 2 know from somewhere...

go4saket said:
r u sure of this... do u have 3300 plan or u came 2 know from somewhere...

Dude, regardless of whether it's a home 250, 500 or 3300, all these plans run on the same bandwidth. Upto 256Kbps for upload and Upto 2Mbps for download.

If you are looking for more upload, then I would suggest you try going with a local ISP where you can get upto 512Kbps upload.

go4saket

Sorry my friend, but you are wrong here. Plan 250 & 500 have a bandwidth of 256 Kbps to 2 Mbps whereas Plan 3300 is a dedicated 2 Mbps line. Upload is 8KBPS for 250 & 500 plan. I want to know th upload speed for 3300 plan...

Are you confused, you first say that the upload is 256Kbps and then you say it's 8KBPS? Where did you get that info from? Even if you convert it, it doesn't add up..

With regards to the upload, I was wrong in the difference of plans. However, although the Home3300 shows a dedicated 2Mbps line you should understand that you are never going to get an upload of 2Mbps for the simple fact that the technology is ADSL and upload and download won't be same. I expect to see an upload of anywhere between 512Kbps to 1Mbps. Not more than that!!

gigyaster

Journeyman

I am currently a netone user, now I am willing to go for a broadband. I am from Shillong so I have to take BSNL's one, since no other ISP are here.
I find it very much difficult to understand the procedure and detailed information about the HOMEPLAN250. So, I am asking you people to help me out.

All I need is the cheapest broadband (from BSNL). Please mention all the hidden cost, and whose modem will be best. ALL INFO ABOUT HOME 250 PLAN Plzz in details. No copy paste from BSNL's website please.
Thank You.

praka123

left this forum longback

^go with Home500 plan.dont look behind. ;) once ur addicted to BB,H250 is simply not enough :D honest saying

Help~Is~Here said:
With regards to the upload, I was wrong in the difference of plans.

I have to correct myself again. Seems like BSNL have increased the upload bandwidth!! I checked my router now and it's giving me 864Kbps upload on a Home 500 package and not the expected 256Kbps.

Can everyone else check their router and see if they have similar/more upstream rates?

praka123

left this forum longback

^what's ur adsl- settings set:is it T1.413 or G.lite or..i mean i am using a huewai router mt 880 2yrs old.hope to know which settings others are using?

praka123 said:
^what's ur adsl- settings set:is it T1.413 or G.lite or..i mean i am using a huewai router mt 880 2yrs old.hope to know which settings others are using?

I have tried changing those settings before but that didn't really make any difference. However, are you getting similar speeds on your modem? I have the same Huewai 880.

go4saket

Help~Is~Here said:
Are you confused, you first say that the upload is 256Kbps and then you say it's 8KBPS? Where did you get that info from? Even if you convert it, it doesn't add up..

With regards to the upload, I was wrong in the difference of plans. However, although the Home3300 shows a dedicated 2Mbps line you should understand that you are never going to get an upload of 2Mbps for the simple fact that the technology is ADSL and upload and download won't be same. I expect to see an upload of anywhere between 512Kbps to 1Mbps. Not more than that!!

When I said 256 Kbps, I meant download speed. Upload speed is just 8 KBps or say 64 Kbps. I do understand that upload speed can never be equal to download speed and so upload speed cant be 2 Mbps in plan 3300. Thats what I am asking here, what is the upload speed in plan 3300. BTW, to check your upload speed, go to *www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

go4saket said:
When I said 256 Kbps, I meant download speed. Upload speed is just 8 KBps or say 64 Kbps. I do understand that upload speed can never be equal to download speed and so upload speed cant be 2 Mbps in plan 3300. Thats what I am asking here, what is the upload speed in plan 3300. BTW, to check your upload speed, go to *www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Dude, upload for home250 and 500 was not 64Kbps, it was 256Kbs and now it has increased. As of now, as mentioned earlier I am getting an upload of 864Kbps on home 500. You can see anywhere between 512Kbps~1Mbps upload on the Home3300.

praka123

left this forum longback

Help~Is~Here said:
I have tried changing those settings before but that didn't really make any difference. However, are you getting similar speeds on your modem? I have the same Huewai 880.
I feel i get more speed when switched to below configuration;though response time seems high.but here,in this forum,many users of 880/882 router/modem suggest G.dmt :-|
*vinuthomas.com/Forums/viewtopic/p=77306.html
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITU_G.992.1
*iup.in/img/praka123/Screenshot-2.jpg
anyways u have to change from default ADSL2+ to any of the other settings as with dataone.
My torrent speeds suck.I got max torrent d/ling these days at 208KB/s while before monsoon it was 217-225KB/s.My u/l speeds are hanging around 70KB/s(580kbps).though i dont check if it goes above that speed-as i set a cron job to be run btwn 2-8AM to switch on and off the torrent clients and the connection in my Debian Linux.
My DSL speed is 217kB/s(1.8mbps) now.and before June got 230 KB/s stable. :(

Last edited:

praka123 said:
I feel i get more speed when switched to below configuration;though response time seems high.but here,in this forum,many users of 880/882 router/modem suggest G.lite :-|
My DSL speed is 217kB/s(1.8mbps) now.and before June got 230 KB/s stable. :(

Thanks praka, however, I am well aware of these settings and I can assure you that the best stability to speed works on the normal G.dmt that is supported by BSNL. Changing the setting to one which conflicts with the server settings at your ISP may result in instability/packet loss/higher responce times/varying speeds.

So, it is always advised to keep them at your default ISP setting which is G.dmt. Besides, regardless of what setting you change it to, if you come to the main page of your modem, you can see that it has picked up the line default which is G.dmt.

praka123

left this forum longback

I have researched a little just now :p sorry i earlier told G.lite what i meant was G.Dmt!

Found that the settings under adsl-settings shud be ideally modulation= G.Dmt,FDM=mode,Bitswap=doesnt matter :) Hope it helps someone.:)
Check SNR in summary page for teh highest value=better settings.
And a good speed test is airtel walle:
*203.145.184.14/meter.php

praka123 said:
I have researched a little just now :p sorry i earlier told G.lite what i meant was G.Dmt!

Found that the settings under adsl-settings shud be ideally modulation= G.Dmt,FDM=mode,Bitswap=doesnt matter :) Hope it helps someone.:)
Check SNR in summary page for teh highest value=better settings.

Honestly praka, the SNR has nothing to do with the setting on your modem. Before I start, you should know that I am a support engineer working for a UK ISP, so you can take my word for it. Refer to my previous posts on the same thread.

Now, regarding the SNR margin, firstly it stands for 'Signal to Noise Ratio'. This is a parameter which helps in identifying how strong your signal is. As SNR is defined, it's the ratio of signal that is reaching your modem with regards to the Noise on the line and this is totally controlled by the ISP itself.

If you have high levels of static Noise on the line, you would need a higher SNR margin set on your line but at the same time, higher the SNR, the lesser the bandwidth will end up being. There is an ideal range in which the SNR works, somewhere between 12~45dB. If the SNR seems to go to abnormally high values, then you would end up getting less that 2Mbps at the same time it can't be too low as the synch will end up getting dropped every minute due to the noise on the line.

So, there is a very small bracket in which the ISP handles this. For example: In the UK, if a customer is complaining about very frequent disconnections, then after the basic checks show no problem, we go ahead and raise the SNR margin making sure that it doesn't affect the customer's synchronisation speeds.

So, honesly, SNR might keep varying +/-5 every time your modem makes a connection depending on the noise on the line. And certainly that has nothing to do with the settings on your modem.

Hope you get my point.;)

praka123

left this forum longback

/*offtopic/*
oh!ur a support engineer :D btwn i am a lo$er ECE(8 more papers 2 clr) ;) :(
97-2001 batch!
on topic:
but ppl keeps experimenting!I knew that SNR stands for signal-to-noise ratio and if the value seems greater then i think shud settle for that option?as stand from the customer premise equipment.and what i think above values gave a wee-bit better performace may be :-| and am not arguing with you :)

What do the figures mean?

Let's look at some typical figures, and here I will use the ones shown by my own equipment a D-link DSL-504 Router using 512K 50:1 ADSL.

These are as follows:

* Attenuation Downstream: 28dB. This means I am receiving just under 1/500th of the signal sent from the exchange.

* Attenuation Upstream: 31dB. This means the Exchange is receiving just less than 1/1000th of the signal sent from my modem.

* SNR: 19dB. SNR stands for Signal to Noise Ratio and is basically the difference between the level of the signal being received compared with the natural noise level on the line.

Here, the higher the figure the better. In my case 19dB means that the signal I am receiving is almost 100 times stronger than the noise level.

Noise on your line is caused by many things. Some examples are other wires in the cable running alongside your wires, interference from power cables, radio signals, higher than normal resistance joints in the telephone wires and damp in the wires or cables.
see below link:
*usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/12

Top Bottom