** Post all your BSNL Broadband Related Queries Here **

Re: **Post all your BSNL Dataone Related Queries Here**

praka123 said:
/*offtopic/*
oh!ur a support engineer :D btwn i am a lo$er ECE(8 more papers 2 clr) ;) :(
97-2001 batch!
on topic:
but ppl keeps experimenting!I knew that SNR stands for signal-to-noise ratio and if the value seems greater then i think shud settle for that option?as stand from the customer premise equipment.and what i think above values gave a wee-bit better performace may be :-| and am not arguing with you :)

see below link:
*usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/12

I never said you were wrong.. the link you gave does add up to what I said which is that the settings have really nothing to do with SNR. It keeps varying. It could be decieving as you might see a better SNR when you change a setting but that is only because SNR keeps varying. And every time you change a modulation setting on your modem, it has to resynchronise with te exchange leading to a different SNR value. Hence you see a different SNR when you change the modulation setting and very decievingly enough we unfortunately come to the conclusion that the setting is which changed the SNR.

One more thing that I should say is that, the ADSL we all use is capable of doing above 12Mbps. It has only been limited to 2Mbps and the SNR plays a very big role in it. If you need higher speeds the SNR has to reduced quite considerably comparing a 1or 2Mbps line. For example: on an 8Mbps line, the SNR should ideally be aroun 9~12dB. Like I mentioned before, higher SNR doesn't always mean good. If the SNR is increased too much by the ISP, you might see a slower connection but ofcourse a more stable one!!:D

go4saket

Help~Is~Here said:
Dude, upload for home250 and 500 was not 64Kbps, it was 256Kbs and now it has increased. As of now, as mentioned earlier I am getting an upload of 864Kbps on home 500. You can see anywhere between 512Kbps~1Mbps upload on the Home3300.

256 has never been the upload speed in plan 250, forget about getting 864Kbps. Anyways, theres no point in fighting about it.

varsharani

Right off the assembly line

Hello..

I m a Dataone user under "Plan Home-250, 256Kbps"... 1GB is the limit...
I exceed my surfing last month (july) upto 1.325GB.. But the 3 moths before this, i haven crossed even 800.. I just wanted to know,if i ll be needing to
pay the extra charge,or will they take the last 2 months into consideration? any carry forwards of the last 2 months???? i was told so, by friend that they have mentioned like that,in the registration form.

go4saket

Sorry friend, but you will have to pay extra for the extra usage. There is no carry forward system of bandwidth.

go4saket said:
256 has never been the upload speed in plan 250, forget about getting 864Kbps. Anyways, theres no point in fighting about it.

Dude, it's not about fighting, it's plain simple fact that the base upload speeds was 256kbps for Home250 whether you like it or not and now they have increased the upload bandwidth to 864Kbps! This is plain simple fact! You might be asking how do I know? Because I was using Home250 till 2 months back and now on Home500.

For the sake of not arguing anymore, please provide sources or any piece of relevant info showing that it was not 256Kbps for upload and not 864 now.

*www.speedtest.net/result/163731768.png

lol.. look at my download speeds.. something conked up on this test!!

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback

@helpishere: use airtel test -it is correct without disturbances.
*203.145.184.14/meter.php
other way includes d/ling from some fast servers like d/ling from microsoft.com -for me it fetched 230KB/sec.(d/l speed!)

praka123 said:
other way includes d/ling from some fast servers like d/ling from microsoft.com -for me it fetched 230KB/sec.(d/l speed!)

Both BSNL and Airtel test show around 1.5~1.8Mbps but tried on speedtest.net and kbps.co.uk, the international transfer rates seem to be suffering anywhere between 0.4~1Mbps.

Praka, could you please do an 'autorun speedtes' on www.kbps.co.uk and see what speeds you are getting?

praka123

left this forum longback

getting low speeds @ above site.while when i was in Bangalore i got good results with that java based site :?
results:
ile size transferred : 3.02 MB (3167484 bytes)
Total time taken : 19.82 seconds (19821 milliseconds)
Throughput : 159.0 KB/sec [Kilobyte-per-second]
= 0.16 MB/sec [Megabyte-per-second]
= 1272.0 Kbps [Kilobit-per-second]
= 1.27 Mbps [Megabit-per-second]
-----------
File size transferred : 1.04 MB (1090681 bytes)
Total time taken : 20.26 seconds (20263 milliseconds)
Throughput : 53.0 KB/sec [Kilobyte-per-second]
= 0.05 MB/sec [Megabyte-per-second]
= 424.0 Kbps [Kilobit-per-second]
= 0.42 Mbps [Megabit-per-second]

while *www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ of us gave me d/l speed of 1828Kbps and u/l speed of 424 kbps :)
but in reality,my download speed in debian apt can be around 217KB/Sec while downloading and with torrents upload is approx 70KB/Sec.so this test if in kerala means unreliable?

Last edited:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member

praka123 said:

*img403.imageshack.us/img403/6830/airtelhl5.jpg
:D

Last Result:
Download Speed: 1800 kbps (225 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 168 kbps (21 KB/sec transfer rate)
from Speakeasy :(

Vivek788

In the zone

hey my speed is very slow....most of dierct lnks run at 30-60kbps range.
The main problems are torrents which run from anyting between 0-20 kbps for majoity of the download time(seeds more than 2000),after 7 am torrent speeds shoot up to 60-100 kbps sometimes for some files while sometimes by 6 oclock the connection is lost.

Also i lose capability to use http(browse) after a few minutes.So i need to restart modem to get it back(though downloads and gtalk continues to have connection for few more minutes).Yahoo loses connection before any other site...what is going on with my connection?Is it a network problem,wiring disorder or modem complaint????

I use plan 500 frm the time bsnl started giving broadband service(same modem).....please help!!

ravi_9793

TechTin.com

Vivek788 said:
hey my speed is very slow....most of dierct lnks run at 30-60kbps range.
The main problems are torrents which run from anyting between 0-20 kbps for majoity of the download time(seeds more than 2000),after 7 am torrent speeds shoot up to 60-100 kbps sometimes for some files while sometimes by 6 oclock the connection is lost.
torrent download speed depend on many things like..how many seeds,peers you are getting.For good torrent download speed..you may give try to this....
*www.techiehome.org/viewtopic.php?t=518

And few seeting:
*img111.imageshack.us/img111/8821/44764397kg9.jpg

and set download limit to unlimited.

*img299.imageshack.us/img299/3114/b1uv0.jpg

Also i lose capability to use http(browse) after a few minutes.So i need to restart modem to get it back(though downloads and gtalk continues to have connection for few more minutes).Yahoo loses connection before any other site...what is going on with my connection?Is it a network problem,wiring disorder or modem complaint????
are you using USB cable to connect your modem woth your computer???

go4saket

Help~Is~Here said:
Dude, it's not about fighting, it's plain simple fact that the base upload speeds was 256kbps for Home250 whether you like it or not and now they have increased the upload bandwidth to 864Kbps! This is plain simple fact! You might be asking how do I know? Because I was using Home250 till 2 months back and now on Home500.

For the sake of not arguing anymore, please provide sources or any piece of relevant info showing that it was not 256Kbps for upload and not 864 now.

*www.speedtest.net/result/163731768.png

lol.. look at my download speeds.. something conked up on this test!!

See what I got...

*www.speedtest.net/result/164008897.png
New York Server

*www.speedtest.net/result/164010773.png
Bangkok Server

*www.speedtest.net/result/164011586.png
Japan Server

Well, it seems like BSNL Bangalore hasn't capped their bandwidth. Lucky you guys...

Last edited:

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart

If u have a low bandwidth then these are the two main causes of it-
1)The underground cable has a little fault
2)Or there are two many users online(check at night 1:00am to see if bandwidth has increased)

ravi_9793

TechTin.com

Harvik780 said:
If u have a low bandwidth then these are the two main causes of it-
1)The underground cable has a little fault
underground cable has nothing to do with speed.If there is any problem in underground wire..than either your internet will not work or you will face problem of frequent disconnection.

praka123

left this forum longback
Firefox works on dataone admin page

<UPDATE>
Firefox/Iceweasel now works fine with dataone administration account.

*10.240.64.195/ is the address.Nice,Now i can spare Opera-static!.Complete switch to Epiphany and Firefox.(btwn a Linux user-so no ie-never for me!)

go4saket said:
See what I got...

*www.speedtest.net/result/164008897.png
New York Server

*www.speedtest.net/result/164010773.png
Bangkok Server

*www.speedtest.net/result/164011586.png
Japan Server

Well, it seems like BSNL Bangalore hasn't capped their bandwidth. Lucky you guys...

First of all BSNL doesn't cap anyone's bandwidth. It depends on a million other factors, just go back on the same thread and refer the post I have put up explaining the reason for different bandwidths.

Secondly, I did the test from kerala and not bangalore:grin:

ravi_9793 said:
underground cable has nothing to do with speed.If there is any problem in underground wire..than either your internet will not work or you will face problem of frequent disconnection.

I have to disagree with you here. Although you are right about the frequent disconnection part, you are wrong about the part that the underground cable isn't going to cause a problem.

Any problem with anything in between your modem and the server you are accessing will lead to speed problems whether it is your underground cable or server problems. Don't forget the part about SNR margins.;)

Last edited:

NIGHTMARE

ANGEL OF DEATH

hey guys can u tell me there is any difference between Type-I modem and Type-II modem in speed

NIGHTMARE said:
hey guys can u tell me there is any difference between Type-I modem and Type-II modem in speed

Speeds never really depend on the modem unless you are using incompatible technologies. So, there is no difference in speed between the modem that BSNL offers. It's just there for the additional option on the modem/router like more ethernet ports or Wi-Fi

Top Bottom