** Post all your BSNL Broadband Related Queries Here **

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
your upstream snr value is very low.such issues are routinely faced by bsnl customers because of the poor maintenance of lines not to mention these telephone wires are likely to damage internally when twisted & compressed which is normally the situation.still even with this low value you should not face any major disconnection issues except a bit reduced upload speed(~450kbps instead of usual 512kbps).

If i ask the BSNL guys come to check my wires will they charge money? Since they have thousands of customers having problems, will they care to come search my house, and spend the entire day checking the wiring ??

deepanshuchg

Ambassador of Buzz
If i ask the BSNL guys come to check my wires will they charge money? Since they have thousands of customers having problems, will they care to come search my house, and spend the entire day checking the wiring ??

They won't come to your house to check wire. Call some electrician to check it. Btw whats the problem?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you know how to talk to local lineman or know someone who can do it for you(just be prepared to spend/offer 200-300 rupees for lineman's trouble if you know what i mean) then you can get your line checked in one day.you may first even try visiting local exchange & talk nicely to some higher official there.also it is 2013 & BSNL has very few home customers using landline phones regularly & even fewer complaining compared to the past so don't worry about thousands.

In Aizawl, Mizoram, BSNL has telephone and broadband monopoly. There is no other (Big) broadband company (like Airtel,Reliance,Sify etc) so BSNL is enjoying its rule. The local laws on infrastructure is so strict that even private operators are having trouble. One local company (Netsurf) wants to start RF and Cable based broadband service but after reading their problems in their fb page i see that the govt simply doesn't want new players in the market. Sify Broadband was here few years ago during Dial Up days but they left. No big company wants to come here.

@deepan - By electrician do you mean telephone line expert from BSNL or the average joe electrician who fixes Electric wires and fuse boxes..

They won't come to your house to check wire. Call some electrician to check it. Btw whats the problem?

The problem is repeated disconnects due to bad SnR value (1.4 Down and 7 Up). And when telephone call comes internet connection gets disconnected. Plus there is a non stop hissing sound in telephone line.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
To all @TDF Friends and particularly whitestar, I am facing a very annoying issue on my BSNL BB line connection.

Since,I've replaced my old ADSL2+ modem/router of D-Link DL-2520U by the new TP-Link TD-8817,the problem seems to have sprung up.

Initially,the TP-Link modem/router is very good at its service.But now whenever I open my machine as well as the net connection,either the next day morning or after returning from office(evenings) I see that the power and LAN lights are only on for this TD-8817.
Even after waiting for more than 10 mins. the ADSL and INTERNET lights remains switch off.

I resort to "BACK TO SQUARE ONE AGAIN", by resetting the TP-Link TD-8817 to factory default settings,then provide all necessary information about time and location, PPPoE settings,my ISP username,password. EVERY TIME THE VPI values are set to 8 instead of the default 0,VCI values are set to 35 as usual.
Even after resetting I switch off my modem for 2~3 minutes and then switch on again.

Ultimately Internet line gets activated and running normally.

WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING?
IS THERE ANY RESPITE FROM THIS ANNOYANCE?

Is the TP-Link TD-8817 ADSL2+ modem/router has ANY TYPE OF ISSUES?????

Solutions awaited from Friends.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
first of all make sure that when you are using a browser disable any script & ad blocking addon like noscript/adblock when opening 192.168.1.1.after that do remember that by default there are 8 PVC connections & PVC0 is set by default so suppose if you were using PVC2 configured for BSNL then every time you open 192.168.1.1 you have to switch to PVC2 from PVC0 in interface setup--internet setting to correctly make changes.

kg11sgbg

^Already did that(interface setup--settings to PVC2) and saved.

But why it happens frequently,that the ADSL and Internet led marker lights are switched off till a prolonged period of time,whenever I bootup(cold boot) or start up my Desktop system?

And in that case I resort to factory default settings....

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
check your snr & attn values.open modem settings---device info page & reload it every few seconds to see if these values changes frequently.

kg11sgbg

@whitestar & @topgear,Friends, the SNR and LINE ATTENUATION Values are :

SNR MARGIN = 18.8 db(downstream) More or less remaining same in values.

SNR MARGIN = 5.* db(upstream) {here * ---> 8,7,6,5... decreasing in trend and again increasing to 8,9} Unstable in values.

LINE ATTENUATION = 27.8 db (downstream) More or less remaining same in values.

LINE ATTENUATION = 39.6 db (upstream) More or less remaining same in values.

Info page is AUTOMATICALLY reloading itself every 6~7 secs. or so...

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
as expected your upstream SNR is very low.it should be at least in double digits even when including fluctuation in value.try disconnecting & reconnecting all wires going in & out of splitter & modem to see if it makes a difference.also check that telephone line in your house is not tangled/pressed at some place(try to keep it straight & without loops).

vivek.virgo

Journeyman
A friend of mine has a BSNL b'band connection where only the modem needs to be ON for accessing the internet. There's no need for a password. How can I tweak his settings so it asks for a password like my setup does. He is on a limited usage plan and also wants to prevent misuse by others who need to access his sys but not the internet.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
modem can be setup in 2 modes:
a)pppoe mode in which username/password is saved in modem itself & you just need to turn on the modem to get connected.
b)bridge mode in which you connect by entering username/password from your PC.

in modem internet connection settings there will be a connection with vpi/vci values as 0 & 35 respectively.edit this connection properties & change connection type from pppoe to bridged with rest of the settings as default.after this modem should show 3 lights: power,ADSL & LAN.now in windows go to new connection manager & choose connect to internet using dsl/pppoe modem & enter username/password to create a new connection to connect to net.

vivek.virgo

Journeyman
modem can be setup in 2 modes:
a)pppoe mode in which username/password is saved in modem itself & you just need to turn on the modem to get connected.
b)bridge mode in which you connect by entering username/password from your PC.

in modem internet connection settings there will be a connection with vpi/vci values as 0 & 35 respectively.edit this connection properties & change connection type from pppoe to bridged with rest of the settings as default.after this modem should show 3 lights: power,ADSL & LAN.now in windows go to new connection manager & choose connect to internet using dsl/pppoe modem & enter username/password to create a new connection to connect to net.

OK Thanks. I tried it on my system. Opened modem config with ip address 192.168.1.1 and entered username and password as 'admin' and was able to get to the settings page you mentioned. But on friend's system it is not being accepted ... username and password seem to be different. Any idea what it could be?

Aerrow

Journeyman
OK Thanks. I tried it on my system. Opened modem config with ip address 192.168.1.1 and entered username and password as 'admin' and was able to get to the settings page you mentioned. But on friend's system it is not being accepted ... username and password seem to be different. Any idea what it could be?

The password might have been changed after installation. Use the reset option. A small pin hole in most modems, to reset the device to factory settings meaning admin username and password. :)

digik

Journeyman
@whitestar & @topgear,Friends, the SNR and LINE ATTENUATION Values are :

SNR MARGIN = 18.8 db(downstream) More or less remaining same in values.

SNR MARGIN = 5.* db(upstream) {here * ---> 8,7,6,5... decreasing in trend and again increasing to 8,9} Unstable in values.

LINE ATTENUATION = 27.8 db (downstream) More or less remaining same in values.

LINE ATTENUATION = 39.6 db (upstream) More or less remaining same in values.

Info page is AUTOMATICALLY reloading itself every 6~7 secs. or so...

As per my experience most of the problem faced from BSNL Broadband lies with the company. All our complaints donot received due attention due to laxity of officers and staff. There might be some other reasons also.

The solution as per my experience is docket complaints. Meet the exchange personnel upto DE. Bomb them with written complaints. Then write to higher ups. It will be more effective if you rope in bsnl customers with similar complaints in your locality. Also, ask for rebate in telephone bills when the complaint remains open for more than 3-4 days.

We have started this in small way. We are confident of its success. Will inform when results show up.:)

Top Bottom