Overheating problems

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are right about this .. it's a sticky thread but still don't know why people are not using it. May be there problems are complicated enough which needs separate thread.

debarshi

Otaku
Wow this thread was bumped almost after a year...
Making a DIY laptop cooler. Any tips will be highly appreciated. Making the base of plexiglass.

sscomp32

Right off the assembly line
HI, My first post here.
I have a 4 year old HP Pavillion DV6 3017TU laptop. It heats up really quickly and more so in a hot environment. It starts to hang and sometimes even turns off and a message shows "Laptop has been turned off to protect from overheating".
Majority of my tasks include Video conversion/Editing and Programming and i use it for average 16 hours daily.
I have tried 3 coolers below Rs 1000 range in the past 1 year but nothing works well. Every cooler stops working after 3/4 months.
I need a good cooler preferably under Rs 2000 which will not let my laptop overheat and will resolve the above problems.
Thanks in Advance

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
HI, My first post here.
I have a 4 year old HP Pavillion DV6 3017TU laptop. It heats up really quickly and more so in a hot environment. It starts to hang and sometimes even turns off and a message shows "Laptop has been turned off to protect from overheating".
Majority of my tasks include Video conversion/Editing and Programming and i use it for average 16 hours daily.
I have tried 3 coolers below Rs 1000 range in the past 1 year but nothing works well. Every cooler stops working after 3/4 months.
I need a good cooler preferably under Rs 2000 which will not let my laptop overheat and will resolve the above problems.
Thanks in Advance

the thermal paste on the cpu might have been drained out. what you have to do is, get a good thermal paste like arctic silver 5 or deepcool z5 and apply and observe any changes in the temperature. posting a screenshot of real temp will be helpful.

sscomp32

Right off the assembly line
the thermal paste on the cpu might have been drained out. what you have to do is, get a good thermal paste like arctic silver 5 or deepcool z5 and apply and observe any changes in the temperature. posting a screenshot of real temp will be helpful.
Thanks.
This is screenshot of 10 minutes after starting the laptop.
*i.imgur.com/4eWG1SZ.png

HI, My first post here.
Thanks in Advance

Its a basic thermal paste problem. Open your laptop, clean it up, remove the older thermal paste from CPU and apply a fresh layer of quality thermal paste like Antec Formula 7. You may want to look at some videos on YouTube on how to open your particular model of laptop.

Hrishi

*www.arctic.ac/worldwide_en/products/cooling/thermal-compound/mx-2.html
Getting this one for 750 bucks from a forum member at another forum.

Will this be good enough to replace my Stock TIM , I have on my laptop. ? The Acer laptop in my siggy is not able to handle BF3 MP properly now. Reaching 103-104C , just like that and GPU is reaching 95C , despite of all the intense cooling setup I have.
I was just wondering , if this would do any good , even if this lowers the temps down to anything under 90C , I will be more than happy.
Now , if there's something better I can buy for this price , do let me know.

My experience with applying TIM , particularly on Laptops is Zero.
PS , it's under warranty but F*** it , this will be worth it.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
ARCTIC | MX-2 | high performance thermal compound | thermal paste | efficient heat transfer | overclocking | lower the core temperature | High conductivity |Non conductive | Non capacitive | long life | overclocking | silent | quiet | low noise | Gam
Getting this one for 750 bucks from a forum member at another forum.

Will this be good enough to replace my Stock TIM , I have on my laptop. ? The Acer laptop in my siggy is not able to handle BF3 MP properly now. Reaching 103-104C , just like that and GPU is reaching 95C , despite of all the intense cooling setup I have.
I was just wondering , if this would do any good , even if this lowers the temps down to anything under 90C , I will be more than happy.
Now , if there's something better I can buy for this price , do let me know.

My experience with applying TIM , particularly on Laptops is Zero.
PS , it's under warranty but F*** it , this will be worth it.

At that price you can get a new tube of Arctic Silver V. Better still, get IC Diamond.

Hrishi

At that price you can get a new tube of Arctic Silver V. Better still, get IC Diamond.

I need something safe.....I just don't want to f**k up with laptop. I have never done this before. I love tinkering with things but not in a mood to smoke 50Grand just like that at this point of time when I am running low on gaming budget..

Can you give a comparison of various TIM within 1000bucks that can be arranged quickly in India ?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I read this just now:
Both are great, but if you are using a HDT heatsink, or rather a heat sink with a copper base/heatpipe, use Arctic Silver. I believe that the MX-2 is silicon based, so it'll oxidize the copper faster, which you do not want.

Some people also have claimed Arctic Silver lasts very long while the MX-2 doesn't. So if you're a lazy guy, never changing paste for 1+ years, I'd go with AS5. If you change paste regularly, perhaps every 6months, the MX-2 would be a better choice.

Arctic Silver V requires 2-3 months to cure but even gives good temps before that.
TBH I didn't find its performance phenomenal. It still heats up to 92 degrees(without cooler) but the heating is delayed. Earlier it took just 10 mins to reach 92, now it takes around half an hour or more.

Hrishi

I read this just now:

Arctic Silver V requires 2-3 months to cure but even gives good temps before that.
TBH I didn't find its performance phenomenal. It still heats up to 92 degrees(without cooler) but the heating is delayed. Earlier it took just 10 mins to reach 92, now it takes around half an hour or more.

I think it'll be copper pipes generally used in laptops.
Now in the mx2 page it says that you will not need to change pastes at least not for 8years!!!!
Wonder why such a contrast.

BTW , gaming on laptops in summers is such a pain.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I think it'll be copper pipes generally used in laptops.
Now in the mx2 page it says that you will not need to change pastes at least not for 8years!!!!
Wonder why such a contrast.

BTW , gaming on laptops in summers is such a pain.

Without cooler GPUs never exceed 92 in my case. Meanwhile, my CPU just hit 100 degrees but maybe because AS V is still curing. Maybe I should build the cooler again.

I need something safe.....I just don't want to f**k up with laptop. I have never done this before. I love tinkering with things but not in a mood to smoke 50Grand just like that at this point of time when I am running low on gaming budget..

Can you give a comparison of various TIM within 1000bucks that can be arranged quickly in India ?

Get Antec Formulae 5. It's safer than Arctic Silver 5 which is conductive.

There is a 80 way TIM comparison on benchmarks reviews.com, do check that out.

Top Bottom