Overheating problems

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can get isopropyl alcohol from medical supply stores [ dressing alcohol ]. As for TiM you can use Noctua NT-H1or Arctic Silver 5. There's a combo offer gong on at theitdepot where you get AS5 and Arctic cleaning solution around 850 bucks. But before buying anything make sure your cpu fan is good or else better consider buying an after market cooler like Hyper 212 x.

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
[MENTION=15026]topgear[/MENTION]

Thanks for your post. I made another thread for this.

I'm gonna continue here.
*www.digit.in/forum/hardware-q/187243-cpu-overheating.html?posted=1#post2162374

mitraark

Decrepit
Guys, Can you please post some links to buy Thermal Paste Online preferably 750 Rs or lower ? Also something to remove the existing one ?
I can't find anything on Flipkart , also can't find the ones mentioned above on Snapdeal.

My CPU is running idle at 60C on stock cooler (no OC) & refuses to play games. Will re-applying Thermal Paste fix it or do I need a different cooler ?

CPU - i5 2500
MoBo - Asus P8z68 V Pro
Case - Cooler Master Elite 310

Should I buy this from here?

Deepcool Z9 Thermal Paste 3.0g price in india Rs.590. Buy Deepcool Z9 Thermal Paste 3.0g online : Theitdepot.com

I read about 99% isopropyl alcohol to clean the old stuff , what is that & where can you buy that from ?

I am facing a similar problem, my i5 760 is idle at 65 C and goes upto 95 while laying games.

Did you resolve your problem ?

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
I am facing a similar problem, my i5 760 is idle at 65 C and goes upto 95 while laying games.

Did you resolve your problem ?

Not entirely, The thermal paste didn't really help much.
My pc still shuts down randomly while playing certain games. No problems on some games no matter how long I play.
Incidentally yesterday I placed an order for coolermaster hyper tx3, so it remains to be seen if that can fix it.

The other thing that can be a problem is the case. How is your case for airflow ?

mitraark

Decrepit
My pc still shuts down randomly while playing certain games. No problems on some games no matter how long I play.
Incidentally yesterday I placed an order for coolermaster hyper tx3, so it remains to be seen if that can fix it.

The other thing that can be a problem is the case. How is your case for airflow ?

My case rests on the floor of a very dirty room

*instagram.com/p/y-SV8LBjzj/

cleaned a bit yesterday by blowing air, and brishing off the metal sink without opening, Temp now is 50 at idle and around 70-80 at load Max is 90 still...

Might go for TX3 if it continues....

I am also not to keen on buying paste, the TX3 seems like a good option

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

either the cpu or motherboard is going bad. Anyway, check the PSU a well.

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
My case rests on the floor of a very dirty room

cleaned a bit yesterday by blowing air, and brishing off the metal sink without opening, Temp now is 50 at idle and around 70-80 at load Max is 90 still...

Might go for TX3 if it continues....

I am also not to keen on buying paste, the TX3 seems like a good option

Got my TX3, had some free time today so just installed it. Now the idle temp is around 43C but I haven't played any games yet. I'll update with the temps when I play later.

---- Update -----

I played some Far Cry 3 today where I usually got a restart after playing for a while, But no restarts today after playing for a little over an hour. I alt-tabbed a few times and the temps were around 60-68 & the max was 83 (earlier the max went up to 99).

I think Hyper 212X is better than TX3 if you are okay with installing the backplate / fits your cabinet.

either the cpu or motherboard is going bad. Anyway, check the PSU a well.

Replacing cpu or motherboard is the last option. Not doing that unless I try out other options.

Here's a pic of my case, I know the PSU wires are a mess. My next upgrade plan will be getting a better case may be in the next 6 months.

*i1317.photobucket.com/albums/t627/GenLibeb/IMG_1368_zpsjlsoetka.jpg

Last edited:

Hrishi

Is there any reference guide/manual for ambient temperature & idle temperature?
The temps in delhi these days are around 40-45c and my new Core i5-4440 idles at 45-50c ( the lowest I was able to manage was 43c for a while when running the 220v exhaust fan mounted on chassis top rear ).
Have used Arctic MX2 and using stock cpu cooler at automatic settings. The fan spins around 1000rpm when at idle and when at load goes upto 2400rpm.
I did try setting it to 100% and it went upto 2800rpm but didn't notice any major difference in temperature at idle. It still couldn't go any lower than 43c.

Is it possible to have the system run at less than room temperature without going water cooler mode. ?

Idle :
I5-4440 -45c at room temp of around 38-40c (75c at load )
Gtx960- 47c. ( 70c at load ).
Ssd - 43c
Hdd - 42c

Are these good or average. Any room for improvements without spending much ????

Hrishi

Temp looks fine. Nothing alarming. BTW, what's your ambient room temp ?

It varies from day to day. I don't have a temp guage as such in the room , but I think it should be between 30 at low and 40-45 at high. The room is sun facing so it remains hot.

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
It varies from day to day. I don't have a temp guage as such in the room , but I think it should be between 30 at low and 40-45 at high. The room is sun facing so it remains hot.

40-45 at high? :shock: well I don't know about your room man, but if its true then at that temp, you might want to get out of it ASAP, let alone running a PC.

BTW at 32-35 deg ambient room temp, in a well ventilated PC, 65+ in GPU is perfectly normal. My ambient room temp at 3.00 P.M on a clear sunny day now in summer is 35-36 deg C tops.

At this temp with 80%+ Humidity, the room constantly tries my tenacity to heat and dehydrates me by making me a sweat-machine, with barely any willingness left to run my PC at that temp.

I dare not imagine what happens at 40-45 , but I strongly suggest that its not normal to run a PC at that ambient temp.

Last edited:

Hrishi

40-45 at high? :shock: well I don't know about your room man, but if its true then at that temp, you might want to get out of it ASAP, let alone running a PC.

BTW at 32-35 deg ambient room temp, in a well ventilated PC, 65+ in GPU is perfectly normal. My ambient room temp at 3.00 P.M on a clear sunny day now in summer is 35-36 deg C tops.

At this temp with 80%+ Humidity, the room constantly tries my tenacity to heat and dehydrates me by making me a sweat-machine, with barely any willingness left to run my PC at that temp.

I dare not imagine what happens at 40-45 , but I strongly suggest that its not normal to run a PC at that ambient temp.

I am not sure , I am just speculating. The Temperature outside in Delhi is around 45-46C on an average. I am talking about the room temperature without fans/coolers running. Maybe 36-38c , if not in 40's.
I have Desert cooler running all the time to cool the room. It's well ventilated , but Sun facing.

I am not sure , I am just speculating. The Temperature outside in Delhi is around 45-46C on an average. I am talking about the room temperature without fans/coolers running. Maybe 36-38c , if not in 40's.
I have Desert cooler running all the time to cool the room. It's well ventilated , but Sun facing.

Keep that cooler running and have proper air flow in cabinet. Also manage the in-cabinet cables properly so they do not affect air flow adversely.

Hrishi

Keep that cooler running and have proper air flow in cabinet. Also manage the in-cabinet cables properly so they do not affect air flow adversely.

Cable Management. Can it be improved ?
The Cabinet is Antec GX900.
I do have a 220v 120mm 3000rpm fan running in exhaust mode at the top corner. Take a look into the picture.
Check this , and see if there are room for improvements you can advise.
Postimage.org / 900_O_Delta_Wing

I am thinking of using an after market cooler. [ Also , I was wondering if it's okay to keep the CPU Cooler running at 80-90% efficiency all the time ? ].
I run the 220v fan only when I game , since its a bit noisy and consumes ~18w . I am okay with noise , but I don't like something that heavy running all the time.

So , in short there are two average efficiency fans 120mm [ with control switch - medium/high/off ] mounted at top in exhaust mode.
Two Average 120mm fans mounted at front. One next to grill and other one doesn't have any grills , just few holes on side of the cabinet to draw air from [ pull mode for cool air intake].
One 120mm fan at the base of cabinet with a dust filter for drawing air. [ Is that of any use ? I am not sure how much air it draws as the base is barely few cms.]
One 220v fan at the top corner. Has very good exhaust feature.

I was also thinking about modding the cabinet a little bit by using a transparent side panel window , instead of the complete closed metal window. I don't have the resources to cut and add an acrylic sheet in the cabinet panel , but I am sure if it looks good , I can arrange something. [ I will prefer to do this , when I add some fancy parts inside the rig . ]

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
just came by to post this:

Before:
*i.imgur.com/AlTXns1.jpg

After:
*i.imgur.com/T29kwEW.jpg

This is due to this:

*i.imgur.com/3tLM8cQ.jpg

*i.imgur.com/5mG01Pz.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Also, its a Cooler Master Hyper 212X inside a NZXT Gamma, if anyone is wondering.

and that huge temp margin is partly due to a very old TIM on my 2400 that had not been changed since the PC was assembled 3 years ago.
the after temps were the result of running prime95 for ~1.5hr.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, TIL that you can clean old TIM using tissue paper soaked in petrol. i used it to clean up my proccy.

Hrishi

[MENTION=148045]anirbandd[/MENTION] , watch out - your CPU might catch fire due to that petrol. :lol:
Congrats for the Hyper 212X , it lives up to the name.

Top Bottom