Overheating problems

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Still it isn't very high. You can try cleaning the inner parts of the cabinet. Use a dry soft piece of cloth and wipe of all the dusk. The heatsink will have a lot of dust; so clean that properly too.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
A small update to my fan issue:
Fixed the fan at a local shop. Got charged Rs.200 for seemingly not much work. But heck they fixed it and I'm very happy :D

i purchased my laptop in on 1st feb this year .. and the temperatures while playing any game used to vary around 50 max ! now days its around 60 max -or 65 max,
Is it an indication of Summers shooting up the laptop's ass or is it Dust playing a subtle role ? moreover the cpu cores run at 60-70 C. what are ideal temps for these components?
I have Dell inspiron 17 R / 8gb RAM / 1tb HDD / 2 Gb Nvidia GC (cant recall the model ) /i7 3rd Gen

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
i purchased my laptop in on 1st feb this year .. and the temperatures while playing any game used to vary around 50 max ! now days its around 60 max -or 65 max,
Is it an indication of Summers shooting up the laptop's ass or is it Dust playing a subtle role ? moreover the cpu cores run at 60-70 C. what are ideal temps for these components?
I have Dell inspiron 17 R / 8gb RAM / 1tb HDD / 2 Gb Nvidia GC (cant recall the model ) /i7 3rd Gen
You have nothing to worry about. The temps are fine :)

guruswaroop

Right off the assembly line
Overheating problems for my hp laptop

hi guys,
I have a HP Pavillion dv6000 laptop (15 inch), which is almost 3 years old. It gets hot very fast, especially when I am playing games. Sometimes when the heat level goes up the laptop automatically powers down. I wish to buy a good laptop cooling fan. Any suggestions are welcome....

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think you need to open up and clean the laptop and most probably re-apply some good tim on cpu heat sink.

aaruni

The Linux Guy
I recently re-applied thermal compound on my Dell Inspiron laptop (link to teardown process : Goodbye overheating! | Aaruni's Blog ). It ran cool for a single day, idle temps at around 45 C. Now it won't boot. Fan spins at full RPM during boot time, and the computer shuts down before booting can be complete. Any help appreciated!

I recently re-applied thermal compound on my Dell Inspiron laptop (link to teardown process : Goodbye overheating! | Aaruni's Blog ). It ran cool for a single day, idle temps at around 45 C. Now it won't boot. Fan spins at full RPM during boot time, and the computer shuts down before booting can be complete. Any help appreciated!
It would be better if you start a new thread in Hardware Q&A.

ameya.gargesh

Broken In
I recently started having problems with my rig which caused it to shut down unexpectedly and ever since has been shutting down within 20 odd seconds of starting. I assumed it was a heating problem and by looking in the BIOS was able to pinpoint the issue to the CPU overheating. I assumed that there was dust clogging the heatsink so took it off and cleaned it thoroughly. Sure enough I got quite a lot of dust out of it. I remounted and found that the issue still persisted. So, I decided to check the underside of the heatsink. I found a blob of what I assume was the thermal compound which came with the stock AMD cooler. It had hardened a bit so I cleaned it off with a dry cloth and also cleaned off the surface of the CPU for good measure. I again mounted the heatsink and tried to start it again but the problem still persists. I don't have any thermal paste on hand but am not sure that it would make a difference as I am only getting about 20 seconds of up time from the PC. The temperature increase is pretty linear from what I observed in the BIOS. Please let me know if there is anything else I should be trying to resolve the issue. The configuration of my rig is-

Processor - Athlon II X4 630
Motherboard - Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
RAM - 2 x 4GB Kingston DDR3
Graphics Card - MSI Cyclone Radeon R6850 Power Edition OC
PSU - Seasonic S12II 520 (80 plus bronze)
HDD - Western Digital 500 GB Caviar Blue
Cabinet - Zebronics Bijli

hey pals are these temperatures fine ???? speed.png

Idle Temperatures few minutes Later (Stable now ) My Laptop has been running for more than 3 hours on battery, and I was watching videos ,surfing net.
Gpu - 48
HDD -45
Temp 1-56
Temp 2 -56
Core 0 - 55
Core 1 -55
Core 2 -58
Core 3 0- 55

Last edited:
I recently started having problems with my rig which caused it to shut down unexpectedly and ever since has been shutting down within 20 odd seconds of starting. I assumed it was a heating problem and by looking in the BIOS was able to pinpoint the issue to the CPU overheating. I assumed that there was dust clogging the heatsink so took it off and cleaned it thoroughly. Sure enough I got quite a lot of dust out of it. I remounted and found that the issue still persisted. So, I decided to check the underside of the heatsink. I found a blob of what I assume was the thermal compound which came with the stock AMD cooler. It had hardened a bit so I cleaned it off with a dry cloth and also cleaned off the surface of the CPU for good measure. I again mounted the heatsink and tried to start it again but the problem still persists. I don't have any thermal paste on hand but am not sure that it would make a difference as I am only getting about 20 seconds of up time from the PC. The temperature increase is pretty linear from what I observed in the BIOS. Please let me know if there is anything else I should be trying to resolve the issue. The configuration of my rig is-

Processor - Athlon II X4 630
Motherboard - Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
RAM - 2 x 4GB Kingston DDR3
Graphics Card - MSI Cyclone Radeon R6850 Power Edition OC
PSU - Seasonic S12II 520 (80 plus bronze)
HDD - Western Digital 500 GB Caviar Blue
Cabinet - Zebronics Bijli

Get the thermal paste buddy ! Temperatures rise like hell withing few seconds even ! I ****ed my card bcz of such trial methods !

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
yes, apply some good TiMs like Cm TF 400 or DP Z5 or get a CM Hyper TX3 around ~1.4k - far better than the stock cooler.

Hrishi

Is it true that Ivy Bridges were the processors with highest tjMax/junction temperature {105Centigrade.} ???
I didn't came across any non-IVB CPU having higher than 100Centigrade.

Mine has already touched 104C for one of the cores, for once.
Is there a way to disable turbo , in IVB-QM CPUs ??

Is it true that Ivy Bridges were the processors with highest tjMax/junction temperature {105Centigrade.} ???
I didn't came across any non-IVB CPU having higher than 100Centigrade.

Mine has already touched 104C for one of the cores, for once.
Is there a way to disable turbo , in IVB-QM CPUs ??

BIOS has option for this. Instead of disabling turbo boost, you can limit the maximum clock turbo speed too.

Hrishi

BIOS has option for this. Instead of disabling turbo boost, you can limit the maximum clock turbo speed too.
Mine didn't had. That's why I was wondering. Currently I am using a custom profile(power management) which limits the CPU performance to 80%. I had to do this to prevent it from overheating while gaming. Not sure if its similar to limiting the Turbo.

Top Bottom