Overheating problems

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
@pulsar_swift : as asigh mentioned the position of the cpu does not matter. its only coz of the fact that two of my stock cooler push pins were broken n its was nt able to cool the cpu in the normal position that i had to put it in the horizontal position so that the cooler sits right on the cpu without the push pins n at least prevent my proccy from melting ;-)

my 1 pin broken. so pushed the fan wire between the knob & the aluminium fins. so securing the push pin in position. however this applicable only if 1 pin broken.

squall30

Right off the assembly line
Okay now i bought the DV6 1211AX, the so called Entertainment Notebook PC with the following configs:

RAM: 4 GB DDR2

Processor: AMD Turion X2 RM-7

Graphics: ATI Mobility Raedon HD 4650 Series (1 GB)

I later on upgraded the OS to Windows 7. I've been experiencing severe overheating problems.

(Benchmarks in Core Temp): When I start windows temperature remains at around 60 C. When I'm just browsing net or doing normal tasks it reaches upto 75 C. But when i use my laptop for gaming purposes, the temperature shoots above 95 C.

I've tried running games like crysis, half life 2, Dragon Age Origins, Sims 3,etc n the max temperature as reported by core Temp reaches 101 C !!!!!

After playing Sims 3 for just 15 minutes my Laptop went into hibernation automatically !!!! After the "Resuming windows" screen, the maximum temperature in Core Temp was 101 C ! This is really freaking me out.

PLEASE Help me out ! PLEASE Suggest methods to bring the temperature down. I've tried cleaning dust using compressed air, I'm even using a Laptop cooler but that isnt helping much :(

rajan1311

Padawan
flip it,open it,clean it,apply new thermal paste on CPU and GPU, get a laptop cooler, nothing more can be done...Ill report this to the HP guys...last time i used it i had no heating issues....

ali.saif.2009

Right off the assembly line
Just wanted to ask that is 50C+ temp. ok for seagate barracuda 500gb.

if not plz suggest some cooling methods for hd, or some good cabinet but not much costly with good cooling solutions.

Thanx in advance!

btw my system:
C2D E7500@2.93ghz, 4gb ddr2, SCbarracuda 500gb X2, XFX9500GT 1gb on ASUS P5KPL-AM/PS

Piyush

Lanaya
please answer these:

#what are the do's and dont's while installing a fan?
#should the no of intake fans = no of exhaust fans?
#what should be the placing of fans wrt different components?

pulsar_swift

Youngling
well i dont know the standard convention, but this is what i did.

One 120mm fan as intake from the front panel, its pulls the air and directs it right on to the HDDs

One120mm fan at the PCIE express lot, as intake.

One 120mm fan at the back as exhaust which comes default with all CM cabinets.

If the cabinet has provision for installing fans on the top panel like the NZXT Gamma, I would add one more 120mm fan at the top as exhaust. As per my understanding this is because HOT AIR is lighter and travels to the top and exhaust would pull it out.

Apart from the above i am thinking if we can install 3 small fans which comes as a panel and would fit in the DVD Drive slot as intake
Others provide ur inputs and correct me if i am wrong

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
please answer these:

#what are the do's and dont's while installing a fan?
#should the no of intake fans = no of exhaust fans?
#what should be the placing of fans wrt different components?

There are no strict rules, but some common sense pointers which I employ:

1. Intake fans should be on the front and side.
2. Exhaust fans should be on the rear and top.
3. If using high speed fans (3000 RPM) as intake, use dust filters. Cause they will suck in dust.
4. If using numerous high speed fans, use fan controllers, and ramp up the speed when gaming. Else keep them below 2000 RPM.
5. Always place a fan such, that you can get to it easily and uninstall them for cleaning. For example I removed my top CM690 fans (2x), cause they were such a hassle to clean.
6. Use the burning incense (or cigarette if you smoke) trick, to check the air flow.
7. The CPU HSF should always have a fan on it. Unless water cooled.

Piyush

Lanaya
There are no strict rules, but some common sense pointers which I employ:

1. Intake fans should be on the front and side.
2. Exhaust fans should be on the rear and top.
3. If using high speed fans (3000 RPM) as intake, use dust filters. Cause they will suck in dust.
4. If using numerous high speed fans, use fan controllers, and ramp up the speed when gaming. Else keep them below 2000 RPM.
5. Always place a fan such, that you can get to it easily and uninstall them for cleaning. For example I removed my top CM690 fans (2x), cause they were such a hassle to clean.
6. Use the burning incense (or cigarette if you smoke) trick, to check the air flow.
7. The CPU HSF should always have a fan on it. Unless water cooled.
thanks a lot asingh
wrote all the points on a copy
still a couple of doubts..

#can u please elaborate trick number 6
#u removed ur top fans.does it make any difference in cooling?

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

well i dont know the standard convention, but this is what i did.

One 120mm fan as intake from the front panel, its pulls the air and directs it right on to the HDDs

One120mm fan at the PCIE express lot, as intake.

One 120mm fan at the back as exhaust which comes default with all CM cabinets.

If the cabinet has provision for installing fans on the top panel like the NZXT Gamma, I would add one more 120mm fan at the top as exhaust. As per my understanding this is because HOT AIR is lighter and travels to the top and exhaust would pull it out.
thanks for ur experience buddy

Apart from the above i am thinking if we can install 3 small fans which comes as a panel and would fit in the DVD Drive slot as intake
Others provide ur inputs and correct me if i am wrong
so much small fans !!
its kinda difficult

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
#can u please elaborate trick number 6
#u removed ur top fans.does it make any difference in cooling?
t

Take a burning incense stick. It will smoke a lot right. Hold it inside the cabinet, with the system ON, and side panel removed. The direction the smoke takes, will tell you the air flow direction. Of course it should be in--->out.

Removing those 2 fans, I doubt they were doing good. Since I re-TIM'ed everything and cleaned out all the dust, parts are running cooler anyways. Also the two new fans (side and front -- intake) are now 3000RPM Scythes. So all is cool.

pulsar_swift

Youngling
Guys, I did some voltage tweaking on my 955BE using K10STAT.

Room temp is 30. Idles at 37degrees C

Processor now runs stable @ 52 degrees C 100% Load on all cores with Prime 95 max heat test run for 6 minutes. It hovers between 51 and 52.
Earlier it used to touch 62 with prime95 max heat test.

PFB the screenshot.

AMD overdrive stress test runs @ 49degrees C 100 load.

Tj Max for AMD PhII X4 955BE as published on AMD website is 62degrees C

*products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUD...&f5=&f6=C2&f7=45nm+SOI&f8=&f9=&f10=False&f11=

Sonicbom

Lust 4 speed !
Hi.. guys ! I recently got my hands on my new p.c. It has c2d e7500 processor and gigabyte mobo . At start_up when I enter bios /p.c health/ c.p.u temp it shows 42c and slowly it goes higher till 55c. Is that normal ? sorry if i m repeating. It has only one Intel c.p.u fan in it.:? When using at load i.e while playing high graphics game it goes to 69c in HWmonitor . I m bit scared. Do I need to get exhaust fan ? and how much does it usually cost ?

Sonicbom

Lust 4 speed !
Heres the screenshot of core temp reading . In that Tj,max is shown as 100c (enough to boil water) :shock: is that a matter of concerned

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
all c2d cpus have two types of temp :

one is tcase ( case temp of your cpu ) and another is tjmax ( core temp of cpu ).

Your cpu's tcase temp is what HWmonitor and your bios is showing and it's max limit is 74c. But it's better to keep it under 65c.

The core temps of your cpu is 60 and 52c - which is in the safe limit.

So there's not much to worry about - but if you want to reduce the temp more then use a aftermarket cpu cooler like CM Hyper TX3 @ 1.3K - it will greatly reduce your cpu temps :p

---------- Post added at 05:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 AM ----------

@ pulsar_swift - great temps you have achieved with voltage tweaking.

buddy share the voltage settings - it might come handy for someone else or will give a fair idea for sure how to reduce temps with voltage tweaks :p

Top Bottom