Overheating problems

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think it's a mobo issue ... cpus have digital thermal sensors and monitoring apps can read data directly from it - if mobo is causing this somehow it should be fixed by a bios update .. so update the mobos bios to the laest version available first.

While applying TiM one should be careful about how much TiM he is going to use and the TiM should be also of good quality. What TiM your friend has used ??

Rocky23

Right off the assembly line
Hello Everyone,
well the problem here is ... i was first having a lot of problems with my power supplt so i got it replaced but the company .... the computer worked fine for only some time ... but now the CPU has started overheating without any reason .. i did not overclock .... i am using i5 650 core processor with stock cooler ... can someone tell me if the voltage under are optimum or are they not good ...

Thanks and Regards! :)
Rocky

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ welcome to TDF !

Now coming to the topic - post a cpu-z and HWinfo screenshot, what PSU you bought ( manufacturer and model name ), what cabinet do you have and how many fans yu installed on the cabby ? First unmount the cpu cooler, remove the old TiM from cpu surface and cooler, apply a fresh layer of good TiM on the cpu,remount the cpu hsf properly - also make sure cpu cooler fan is rorating at proper speed.

mayoorite

Night Fury
Hi !
i want know the normal temperatures my cpu,hdd should have.
My specs are Intel Pentium 4 2.4Ghz(Northwood),2GB RAM,500GB Hitachi HDD .Motherboard Intel D865GBF.No external Graphic card,no external sound card,1 dvd -RW.I have 2 case fans,1 processor fan and one in power supply unit.I have monitored the temperatures (normal use) from CPUID Hardware Monitor. Temperature.png Are the temperatures ok.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Temps are Ok but on the higher side .. install a fornt/side and back cabinet fan to lower the temps.

mayoorite

Night Fury
Temps are Ok but on the higher side .. install a fornt/side and back cabinet fan to lower the temps.
well there are already 2 back cabinet fans,and there is no space available for any other fans.My 2 back cabinet fans are throwing air out and i have no fan which could suck in air .So should i make one of them to suck in air .

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
Hello Everyone,
well the problem here is ... i was first having a lot of problems with my power supplt so i got it replaced but the company .... the computer worked fine for only some time ... but now the CPU has started overheating without any reason .. i did not overclock .... i am using i5 650 core processor with stock cooler ... can someone tell me if the voltage under are optimum or are they not good ...

Thanks and Regards! :)
Rocky

the TIM & stock cooler comes with the i5 650 processor are low budget , for temporary use third part TIM like thermalright , cooler master , OCz etc .. But if need good cooling solution you can go for third party cooler .

Hi !
i want know the normal temperatures my cpu,hdd should have.
My specs are Intel Pentium 4 2.4Ghz(Northwood),2GB RAM,500GB Hitachi HDD .Motherboard Intel D865GBF.No external Graphic card,no external sound card,1 dvd -RW.I have 2 case fans,1 processor fan and one in power supply unit.I have monitored the temperatures (normal use) from CPUID Hardware Monitor.View attachment 6312 Are the temperatures ok.

Really P4 ? this procy is heating stove , but trust me it runs fine in wat ever heat it occurs . So no need to worry .

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ After a long time I'm seeing you posting ;-)

well there are already 2 back cabinet fans,and there is no space available for any other fans.My 2 back cabinet fans are throwing air out and i have no fan which could suck in air .So should i make one of them to suck in air .

no keep those rear fans as exhaust and if possible ( with a little nodding or something like that ) try to add a front or side panel fan as intake.

saswat23

Human Spambot
*uploadnow.org/graphic/thumbs/340629-airinPC-th.jpeg

My cabinet has 2*120mm LED fans at side, 1 LED at front and 1 at back. No other fan options available. PSU is top mounted.
So, is the fan placement correct? Or do I need to make any changes?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ what's RPM of those fans ?? if you have a 2K RPM fan place it at rear as exhaust, mount the side panel fans and the front fan as Intake.

saswat23

Human Spambot
No RPM details mentioned. Both the side fans were actually placed as intake but just a few hours ago after a bit of google I decided to use the top side fan as exhaust.
So, should I keep the fan as exhaust or should I revert it back to intake?

And except the rear one, the rest three are LED fans.

I think you didnt check that image file!

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
^^ After a long time I'm seeing you posting ;-)

no keep those rear fans as exhaust and if possible ( with a little nodding or something like that ) try to add a front or side panel fan as intake.

Thanks Top , yeah went thru hard time . Its good to be back "i'll be your guest from now" :)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Great to see you back ;-) and edit your siggy - no smile icons are visible.

@ saswat23 - I've checked the image file but where's on image it's shown that those fans are LED fans ? ;-) Aviator comes with 1k RPM fans - it would be better if you add a CM 120 mm 2K RPM LED fan ( available on FK ) at rear as exhaust and use all the side panel and front fan as intake only.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Replace the front intake with a very goof fan, like CM 90cfm 2K rpm fan.
Use the other 3 slots as exhaust with the existing fan. This will create negative air pressure which is good for the cabinet you have (i.e. no top exhaust slot).

Myth

Cyborg Agent
I needed to sell a processor( + heatsink) so I cleaned up the thermal paste from both items to post the pics here. Now the buyer wants to check ( bios readings ) once before taking delivery. Unfortunately, both of us are out of thermal paste at the moment.
Question: Can the processor be run (max 2-3 mins) with the heatsink but no thermal paste on either surface ?

saswat23

Human Spambot
Why don't you use those cheap Rs.20 wala TIM for that time.
You can use your proccy w/o TIM but soon your system will shutdown due to overheating.

tkin

Back to school!!
I needed to sell a processor( + heatsink) so I cleaned up the thermal paste from both items to post the pics here. Now the buyer wants to check ( bios readings ) once before taking delivery. Unfortunately, both of us are out of thermal paste at the moment.
Question: Can the processor be run (max 2-3 mins) with the heatsink but no thermal paste on either surface ?
NO, use cheap tim from local stores, or you could use toothpaste(colgate, normal), I won't be held responsible for any damage.
toothpaste tim.

Myth

Cyborg Agent
Thanks for the reply, Yes/No was all that was required.
The toothpaste tim is a first time I have heard of it :razz:

Top Bottom