Overheating problems

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ you can run the cpu without TiM and if the contacts are really good then it will run fine and won't shutdown due to overgeating - I've run P4 cpu without TiM a long time back.

Myth

Cyborg Agent
It just has to run for 2 mins so that the buyer can check the stats in the bios.
I will try advise him not to try this, but he insists, I'll do a quick run :p

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
I needed to sell a processor( + heatsink) so I cleaned up the thermal paste from both items to post the pics here. Now the buyer wants to check ( bios readings ) once before taking delivery. Unfortunately, both of us are out of thermal paste at the moment.
Question: Can the processor be run (max 2-3 mins) with the heatsink but no thermal paste on either surface ?

When running for short time, use toothpaste.

aloodum

Journeyman
When running for short time, use toothpaste.

Firstly , Is it too hard to ask the local comp shop/elect repair shop for a 10 buck satchet?It's not a novelty product and found easily everywhere.

tooth paste? Highly un reccomended as opinions are highly divided.More than anything im concerned about the etching/corrosive nature of most fluride based toothpaste(s) on the heatspreader..
Read on more here:
Toothpaste+vaseline Adventures!!! - Overclockers Forums
Thermal transfer compound comparison
You got your peanutbutter on my cpu! You got your cpu in my peanut - OverclockersClub Forums

tkin

Back to school!!
Firstly , Is it too hard to ask the local comp shop/elect repair shop for a 10 buck satchet?It's not a novelty product and found easily everywhere.

tooth paste? Highly un reccomended as opinions are highly divided.More than anything im concerned about the etching/corrosive nature of most fluride based toothpaste(s) on the heatspreader..
Read on more here:
Toothpaste+vaseline Adventures!!! - Overclockers Forums
Thermal transfer compound comparison
You got your peanutbutter on my cpu! You got your cpu in my peanut - OverclockersClub Forums
Its good for one run, ONE run only, as he said he needed to boot it once for 2 mins, it won't corrode anything by then(colgate normal white, no fluidized gel stuff).

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
for short time testing thre's no need for any sort of paste ( IMO ) - just today ran my 955BE ( 125W ) using a Athlon cpu without any paste for testing ( 5-6 mins ) and the max temp I got was 47c under bios screen.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
for short time testing thre's no need for any sort of paste ( IMO ) - just today ran my 955BE ( 125W ) using a Athlon cpu without any paste for testing ( 5-6 mins ) and the max temp I got was 47c under bios screen.

Take my advice, and don't use it in that way unless you are using a binned CPU (which you are not). Its risky. CPU haven't got burned ok. You can take it as your good luck.

dhruv.arora25

Right off the assembly line
Hello everyone...
I bought two cabinet fans.. one coolermaster 1800RPM and another cheap one 1500 RPM.
There are two places where I can place them, one is below the PSU ( above the VGA port and PS/2 ports ) and one on the side wall of the cabinet ( parallel to the CPU fan and heatsink). Where do I place these fans and how do I place them(intake or exhaust ).?
Please suggest a good way because my CPU is always above 75C on no load...
BTW I'm replacing the thermal paste also(coolermaster).
Thank you..

If you guys need any pics please let me know.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ dhruv.arora25 -

size of the fan mounting holes of the cabinet - 80 / 120 mm ?
size of the CM 1800 RPM and 1500 RPM local fan ?
Do your cabinet has any front intake fan ?
Which CPU do you have ? ( Post a few pic of the cabby if possible )
put the 1.8k RPM fan as inatke on the side panel and the 1.5K RPM fan at back as exhaust.

AMTECH69

Broken In
I have a machine with following configuration:
Intel i3 2100, Intel DH67BL mobo,EVM 2 GB RAM, Seagate 500GB HDD (ST500DM002),LG optical Drive,Asus 5450 (1 GB) graphics card, Samsung 22" full HD monitor and iBall Grandeur cabinet with PSU. Running Windows 7 (32 bit).

My problem is that the machine got restarted suddenly on 2-3 occasions while in use. I suspect some overheating. I am giving below the snapshot of HW monitor immediately after the restart. I dont understand all the details, so pls. guide me what are the temperature required to be monitored for overheating problem.

HW-Monitor snap-19092012.jpg

What should I doif theres an overheating?
My case has one fan at the rear and vent holes on side panel
The grafix card is silent one with only heat sink and no fan.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
except from the 2nd Auxtin temp, cputin temp and +12v reading every other values looks normal.

Now the 2nd auxtin temp could be wrong and so is +12v reading but the cputin temp without any load reaching 69c indicates there may be cpu overheating issue - use IBT load test for 10 mins and post a screenshot of of HWmonitor. Also check the +12v reading from system bios and make sure your ram module has no issue by using memtest86+ app.

Revolution

Wise Old Owl
What is the most accurate to monitor Intel C2D CPU Temp ?
Is it CoreTemp or RealTemp or Everest HE or any other ?
At the same time all above 3 application showing CPU Temp of 40C,44C & 41C respectively.

debarshi

Otaku
Re: Hardware Price Check and Buying Advice Thread (Kolkata)

Could it be that my Proccessor is heating to 75 at idle due to my smps, or do i just need to change my stock cooler and re tim it........

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
Re: Hardware Price Check and Buying Advice Thread (Kolkata)

^^ enter BIOS and recheck the temp. If it is still high please clean your heatsink,fan and re-tim it. BTW is cpu fan spinning?

Revolution

Wise Old Owl
What is the most accurate to monitor Intel C2D CPU Temp ?
Is it CoreTemp or RealTemp or Everest HE or any other ?
At the same time all above 3 application showing CPU Temp of 40C,44C & 41C respectively.

Guys what application u all using to monitor ur HW Temp ?

aloodum

Journeyman
^^ coreTemp/realtemp are pretty much the good guys out there..Though you may have cases where these two or other hw monitoring apps shows different readings!!! Reason being software monitoring tools give figures based on algorithms to calculate temp. And this algo differs for each monitoring s/w.

The easiest way to figure out the wrong app is a look at the TJmax figures for your processor, mind you it will depend on the specific cpu revision ...the one that shows the wrong TJmax figures is to be chucked :)

debarshi

Otaku
@ debarshi - first try to re-tim using some good TiM like Noctua NT-H1 or DeepCool Z5.

I did re tim my CPU 1 month back using CM essentials E2. No substantial improvement in temperature.

^^ enter BIOS and recheck the temp. If it is still high please clean your heatsink,fan and re-tim it. BTW is cpu fan spinning?

I quoted the temperature from the bios itself. In speedfan it shows 80 all the time. I recently cleaned my whole pc including heatsink. And yes, the cpu fan is spinning at 1800-2000rpm.

What could be my next step...........
BTW, my processor is Intel Pentium D CPU 2.80GHz

Top Bottom