Overheating problems

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
When I made the post it was at 90. Not in the screenshot.

Normal usage, it is always 60+.

The laptop would turn off after 20-30 minutes while playing a game.

There you go:

*img826.imageshack.us/img826/3857/tempuam.png

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
i guess warranty is over. so only good thing which you can try is, open up the laptop, clean up the parts (dust problem). but can't say if its right to pull out & reTIM the processor.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Acer Aspire 5633WLMi

i guess warranty is over. so only good thing which you can try is, open up the laptop, clean up the parts (dust problem). but can't say if its right to pull out & reTIM the processor.

Yep, cleaning up the laptop by opening it seems to be the only solution.

It can be done without much trouble as well - found a link which has the original replacement cpu heatsink fan for this laptop and every instruction is clearly written :

Acer Aspire 5633WLMi Fan - Acer Aspire 5633WLMi Fan Replacement

*www.batterycentury.com/images/acer/LFAC002.jpg
image courtesy of batterycentury.com

How to Replace a Acer Aspire 5633WLMi Fan?

1. Follow your laptop owner's manual and assembly guide carefully as you disassemble the laptop. Touch something metal periodically to remove static charge, and work on a large table with a bright light source.

2. Turn off the laptop and unplug it. Remove the main battery, CD/DVD drive and the hard drive. The hard drive is usually located in a slot on one side of the laptop. Remove the screw that holds the cover in place, then pull out the hard drive sled.

3 Turn the laptop over and remove the screws on the bottom that hold the keyboard in place. Flip the laptop over, open it, then lift the keyboard up and out. Unplug the flexible ribbon cable that connects the keyboard to the motherboard.

4 Remove the screws that hold the laptop keyboard bezel and palm rest in place. Carefully pry loose any plastic snaps on the sides, then lift the bezel and palm rest up and out.

5 Unplug the Acer Aspire 5633WLMi Fan Cooling Fan. Remove the screws that hold the heat sink and fan in place, then remove the entire unit from the laptop. Remove any thermal compound residue from the bottom of the heat sink and the CPU.

6 Apply a thin layer of thermal compound on the CPU, then replace the heat sink and fan. Replace the screws, plug the Acer Aspire 5633WLMi Fan back in, then reassemble the laptop.

7 Plug the laptop in and turn it on. After you use it for a few minutes, you should hear the new fan running and feel warm air blowing from the vent on the side of the laptop. A Acer Aspire 5633WLMi Fan does not run continuously, so don't be concerned if the Acer Aspire 5633WLMi Fan shuts off periodically.

tkin

Back to school!!
For those whose system is overheating it does not mean the end of their PC or whatsoever.
Heres my story:

Yesterday I ran Orthos prime and my CPU temperature reached 91/89c on two cores, I felt like I was running without any heatsink, when playing lost planet 2 my cores reached 79/78c, a careful look in HWmonitor revealed that my HSF fan-rpm was being halted at 1.6k, while it should max out at 2.6k, opened the case today, took a Vacuum Cleaner(eureka forbes, handheld model, larger models can damage mobo components) and blew a lot of air the case, then used a small brush to dislodge the dirt stuck in the HSF which would not come off using blower, took about 2 hrs total, also cleaned the GPU same way.

Net result: 2 hrs Orthos prime and CPU is being maxed at 54/56c(stock TIM), while idling at 38/40c

So everyone, try cleaning the cabinet once in a while.

Last edited:

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
hi everyone,

I have overclocked my Intel Celeron to 2.4 ghz(from 1.8 ghz)

Idle temp is around 41c and full load temp after running prime95 for 5 minutes 59c

Is my load temperature safe? All temparatures have been recorded using Open hardware monitor..

Will soon post tems after an hour of gaming at max settings

tkin

Back to school!!
hi everyone,

I have overclocked my Intel Celeron to 2.4 ghz(from 1.8 ghz)

Idle temp is around 41c and full load temp after running prime95 for 5 minutes 59c

Is my load temperature safe? All temparatures have been recorded using Open hardware monitor..

Will soon post tems after an hour of gaming at max settings
Absolutely fine, anyway I've never used open hw monitor, to be on the safe side use this software: Real Temp - CPU temperature monitoring

Since this is winter load temps below 65c is fine, in summer that will translate to 85c on max load, in general anything below 80c is fine for day to day use.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Done...Putting screen shots of both Open Hardware monitor and Real Temparature
*img59.imageshack.us/img59/8002/56095619.jpg

*img257.imageshack.us/img257/7994/33092791.jpg
By wuodland at 2011-01-20

what should be ideal temparature at load and idle for my Celeron?

1.8 Ghz overclocked to 2.4 Ghz?(repost)

^ pls check the last view post of overheating thread. Posted it there

Vishw

Journeyman
Re: Crysis!

Hey guys, I'm in the middle of assembling my SB rig & I can't figure out where to connect the eSATA & USB cables that come from the Tempest EVO front panel, onto my mobo? My mobo has four USB 2.0 connectors, each has different numbers written beside them. I don't know whether they mean something or is it ok to connect to any one of them? Can anybody please help me out?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your CPU has two type of temps - one is tcoe and another is tcase.

Acc to intel your max tcase temp is 60.4C - which is what open HW monitor showing I believe - so just don't let it cross over 60.4C under full load.

now Real temp is showing tjmax and it would be better if you can keep it under 65C under full load.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
I think my proccesor will blow up in Summer.
I will clean my cabinet,PSU fans,proccy fan then will post results again.

Speedfan is showing a temparature of 49 c (after 30 minutes of gaming)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Out of my curiosity,how much difference does the application of thermal compound make?

for eg. with CM Nano Fusion I got temp diff of 10c at idle and 12C under load on a Pentium D 930 with stock cooler ;-)

Last edited:

Neuron

Electronic.
So if my temperature reaches 85 deg.celsius on 100% load when not using TIM ,does this mean that the heat sink is....hmmm,flawed?

Top Bottom