Overheating problems

Tachyon1986

In the zone
Guys, I'm running a Core2Quad Q6600 overclocked at 3.0 ghz. I'm using the Cooler Master Gemini II-S heatsink. My cores are idle at 46-48 degree celsius. Ran Prime95 and my cores peaked at 70-72 degree celsius. Is this normal?

Also, any suggestions for a better cooler in the Rs.2000-2500 range?

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ remove the HSF, remove stock/applied TIM & reTIM ot. check if the temperature comes down to 25-30degree. also do clean your HSF. else you may consider an upgrade of HSF.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Temps upto 65c is be fine for your cpu nder 100% load.

Do what sam has suggested first.

BTW, Did you used mobos auto ocing function or oced manually - try to reduce cpu vcore voltage in until ( reduce it in small stages ) you find the minimum stable voltage for your cpu.

jerrin_ss5

Never give up!!
it does'nt seem a very high temp considered u OC'ed it
so i feel its normal cause mine seems to be at 65c at load !!
well before buying additional cooler check for proper ventilation !!!

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Guys, I'm running a Core2Quad Q6600 overclocked at 3.0 ghz. I'm using the Cooler Master Gemini II-S heatsink. My cores are idle at 46-48 degree celsius. Ran Prime95 and my cores peaked at 70-72 degree celsius. Is this normal?

Also, any suggestions for a better cooler in the Rs.2000-2500 range?

Those idle temperatures good be made less...! Try to lower the vCore least as possible while mapped to 3.0 Ghz. Keep lowering vCore in increments till system is unstable. Lowest vCore will give your lowest temperatures.

Tachyon1986

In the zone
^^ remove the HSF, remove stock/applied TIM & reTIM ot. check if the temperature comes down to 25-30degree. also do clean your HSF. else you may consider an upgrade of HSF.

Well, removing this particular heatsink means I have to dismantle the motherboard as well. Sad but true.

Temps upto 65c is be fine for your cpu nder 100% load.

Do what sam has suggested first.

BTW, Did you used mobos auto ocing function or oced manually - try to reduce cpu vcore voltage in until ( reduce it in small stages ) you find the minimum stable voltage for your cpu.

Well, initially I managed to OC it up to 3.6 ghz using manual settings (increased vCore also). Tried running Prime 95 but it BSOD instantly. Went to 3.0 ghz using automatic settings. Will try reducing the vCore voltage manually.

it does'nt seem a very high temp considered u OC'ed it
so i feel its normal cause mine seems to be at 65c at load !!
well before buying additional cooler check for proper ventilation !!!

Yes, I think I need a new cabinet. This shitty Mercury Vertex cabinet can easily warm a Pizza. That CM Elite 430 looks juicy. Keep in mind that these temps were achieved on a 10 minute Prime 95 stress test , so that's all 4 CORES AT 100% load for 10 minutes :O .

Those idle temperatures good be made less...! Try to lower the vCore least as possible while mapped to 3.0 Ghz. Keep lowering vCore in increments till system is unstable. Lowest vCore will give your lowest temperatures.

Yes, will try lowering the vCore.

Thank you all for the replies. :mrgreen:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Went to 3.0 ghz using automatic settings.

found something. i really hate these automatic settings. cause its just a piece of preprogrammed AI that OC & may end up increasing voltage. it can never replace a manual step by step OC.

ok, please post a CPU_Z screenshot by running Prime95 in background. want see what vcore the board is pumping in.

Yes, I think I need a new cabinet. This shitty Mercury Vertex cabinet can easily warm a Pizza. That CM Elite 430 looks juicy. Keep in mind that these temps were achieved on a 10 minute Prime 95 stress test , so that's all 4 CORES AT 100% load for 10 minutes :O.

a new cabby will help cool your system as a whole but don't expect dramatic reduction in processor temperature.

Tachyon1986

In the zone
Ok ,I just realized that even on automatic settings the CPU core voltage was at the lowest, (1.2625V I think , at work now..can't remember exactly). Even with manual settings , I can't go lower than that.

I will post the screenshots when I get home guys.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
your temp seems a little bit high on the above screenshot but it's not anything to worry about either. I think you should remount the cpu cooler - use some good TIM such as arctic silver/MX or CM Nano fusion.

vav

Broken In
HI
please check the image
i buy my pc 2 years ago and updated my graphics and add 2 gb ram this Aug
from starting i had problem of over heating
i changed CPU grease 3 time in last 2 years i used to buy it for 100 RS from variety(thane).
but now if i try to play black ops with in 5 mins temp goes to 85 C
what u would suggest.
View attachment 3982
View attachment 3983

core2quad Q9300 @ 2.5Ghz || Abit IP35E|| Corsair 2X1Gb 667Mhz DDR2 Value +1x2GB OCZ || WDC 1TB +Seagate 360GB || ASSUS HD5770 1GB GDDR5 || Cooler master 450W Extreme || Zebronics Bijli || Samsung 943NWX || Wipro 500(ups)

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ thats the problem. get a good TIM, not those "best" TIM as told by the shopkeeper. first get a good TIM, clean the processor (remove the old tim using isopropyl alcohol) & the HSF well. apply fresh coat of TIM, run system & check the temperature.

vav

Broken In
i am thinking of buying CM hyper 212 plus
but i guess it will be to big and reqd to keep cabinet open(is this advisable ).
i read some good review for it.
i am also thinking of OC i did it long ago for GTA 4
main problem is my PSU which is at min requirement for ATI 5770
core2quad Q9300 @ 2.5Ghz || Abit IP35E|| Corsair 2X1Gb 667Mhz DDR2 Value +1x2GB OCZ || WDC 1TB +Seagate 360GB || ASSUS HD5770 1GB GDDR5 || Cooler master 450W Extreme || Zebronics Bijli || Samsung 943NWX || Wipro 500(ups)

ithehappy

Human Spambot
I think Hyper 212+ is an average cooler. for 1.8K you shouldn't expect much more though. In my system the temperature dropped about 7-8°C in normal condition and same in 100% load.

vav

Broken In
idle temp for my cpu is 54 c
and in load it goes to 80-90 and sometime even shut sown
i used pc under heavy load running 3-4 virtual machine.
and my intel hsk side pins are not that flexible. they take atleast 10 mins while mounting it on processor.
i think i need new heatsink
question is which one:?:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's quite high and though stock heat sink sucks but it will never keep cpu temp above 50c in winter season and intel HSF mounting procedure is really easy and never takes 10 mins time. Hardly it will take 2-3 mins if mounted properly.

Get some good TIM and for brands look at post No. 1331. Do waht sam has asked for and post the cpu temp again with stcok cooler.

BTW, if you want to ditch the current cooler all together and want to get something more good get CM Hyper 212+ @ ~1.8k. It's a back plate mounting cpu cooler - so it can be mounted in wrong ways and it comes bundled with TIM as well. It will reduce our cpu temp for sure.

vav

Broken In
still not sure what do do
mostly buy the new hsk
couse thinking of moding my bijli(check the link)
Wingzero's Case mod - Zebronics bijli

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
See my normal temperatures:
*img826.imageshack.us/img826/8780/tempmt.png

The processor is at 90 at the moment.

Top Bottom