Overheating problems

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
pulsar_swift - have you enabled CnQ in Bios ??

Try setting the fan control/speed to automatic/dynamic mode if possible ... you should find this option under temp or system monitor in bios

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
Re: X4 955 BE idle temp at 41 degrees C and fan @ 6200RPM

Yes Asigh, the board is OCable.

ASUS M4A78STD-V-EVO

Enabled CnQ in the BIOS and also enabled SMART FAN option.

Disable the smart fan ( its auto thermal control )

Cool & quiet can be enabled no problem - if u r using XP go to control panel power option -> select minimal power configuration

41 Degree is normal for Phenom 2 955

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Re: X4 955 BE idle temp at 41 degrees C and fan @ 6200RPM

Yes Asigh, the board is OCable.

ASUS M4A78STD-V-EVO

Enabled CnQ in the BIOS and also enabled SMART FAN option.

Is CnQ an automatic CPU clock control program. If yes, switch that darn thing off. Now try to get the lowest vCore you can manage on that chip. It could be powered too high, for the requisite clock speed. Most standard BIOS do that. They push in way to much vCore for the designated clock speed.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
CnQ automatically control clock speed and voltage ...

But you need to have CnQ software installed in windows and minimal power setting enabled in power manager to get the benefit on CnQ.

If you don't install CnQ software in windows the cpu will run at full clock speed and consume more voltage ( unless value manually set in the bios ).

@ pulsar - as damngoodman999 said try setting the fan speed manually say 60% and see what happens. Measure the temp with core temp to get more precise temps of all cores.

BTW, have you updated your bios to the latest version ??

Last edited:

pulsar_swift

Youngling
yes installed CnQ and power setting is set to Minimal power management.
How to set the fan speed to 60% ? I cannot find any option for that in the BIOS. Yes I updated the BIOS to the latest version available.

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
yes installed CnQ and power setting is set to Minimal power management.
How to set the fan speed to 60% ? I cannot find any option for that in the BIOS. Yes I updated the BIOS to the latest version available.

just follow this steps

the first option is u should make everything manual from auto - as for phenom 2 955 set vcore to 1.30V thats lowest if u dont OC

then NB voltage to 1.25

enable the C&Q , disable the auto thermal management

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ pulsar_swift - as damngoodman999 has suggested if you put fan speed to manual mode you may get this option ... as I've seen such options in mid range mobos for intel procs ... so I was thinking your mobo should have similar option to control fan speed manually .

pulsar_swift

Youngling
just follow this steps

the first option is u should make everything manual from auto - as for phenom 2 955 set vcore to 1.30V thats lowest if u dont OC

then NB voltage to 1.25

enable the C&Q , disable the auto thermal management

This didnt work :(

---------- Post added at 07:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 AM ----------

@ pulsar_swift - as damngoodman999 has suggested if you put fan speed to manual mode you may get this option ... as I've seen such options in mid range mobos for intel procs ... so I was thinking your mobo should have similar option to control fan speed manually .

I have enabled the smart fan and there are temps for fan start and fan full speed.

My room temp is 32 degrees C and the processor is not going below 39degress C.

SO i changed the fan start temp to 45 and full speed to 55. Now the fan rotates at 3750 RPM and CPU temp is 40 -42 under no load. When running MCAFEE ANTIVIRUS SCAN the temp reached 52 degrees C and 36% usage.

I still think that it is high. I have been discussing the issue with CILUS over the phone. His CPU idles at 34 degrees C that a good 6degrees difference from mine.

So the plan is to install a side panel fan CM 90DB blue LED fan and remove the HSF and install it again with TUNIQ TX 2 applied.

What do you guys suggest ? TUNIQ TX 2 will help ?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
I had told you to try lowering the vCore, and to turn Cool n Quite and automatic CPU speed control devices off. They are not calibrated for optimization. Most of the time they are pushing extra juice into the chips. Perfect vCore for the speed you want is quite important. Rest is up to you.

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
This didnt work :(

---------- Post added at 07:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 AM ----------

I have enabled the smart fan and there are temps for fan start and fan full speed.

My room temp is 32 degrees C and the processor is not going below 39degress C.

SO i changed the fan start temp to 45 and full speed to 55. Now the fan rotates at 3750 RPM and CPU temp is 40 -42 under no load. When running MCAFEE ANTIVIRUS SCAN the temp reached 52 degrees C and 36% usage.

I still think that it is high. I have been discussing the issue with CILUS over the phone. His CPU idles at 34 degrees C that a good 6degrees difference from mine.

So the plan is to install a side panel fan CM 90DB blue LED fan and remove the HSF and install it again with TUNIQ TX 2 applied.

What do you guys suggest ? TUNIQ TX 2 will help ?

Thermal paste is not the magic paste !! to reduce less temperature only reduce 1 or 2 temp with mx2 or tx2 , try to run with lower Vcore

DISABLE THE SMARTFAN CONTROL :!:

DISABLE CASE OPEN STATUS :!:

40 is normal dont panic !

Mcafee antivirus pushes u to 52 ???? thats weird

CAN U POST UR PICTURE OF Ur Inside ur cabinet ??

pulsar_swift

Youngling
^^
I had told you to try lowering the vCore, and to turn Cool n Quite and automatic CPU speed control devices off. They are not calibrated for optimization. Most of the time they are pushing extra juice into the chips. Perfect vCore for the speed you want is quite important. Rest is up to you.

Asigh,

It didn't work bro.
I disabled every thing from AUTO. Set the Vcore to 1.3V and NB voltage to 1.25. Fan started running at 6200RPM.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
How you got the 1.3V. Keep lowering vCore, till your system become unstable. That is your lowest vCore.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ pulsar_swift

1. Remount the HSF wiuth some good paste.

2. set fan control to manual and let the fan rotate at full speed anything beyond 30C.

I've personally used a AMD Athlon X2 rig - I kept the fan control to manual and fan the speed @ 100% but that did not created any kind of irritating noise :p

If you enable cnq you should also set the vcore to auto mode as cnq will automatically reduce voltage when the clock speed and cpu usage are low.

But if you want to set the vcore manually then also disable cnq and uninstall it from windows.

pulsar_swift

Youngling
@ pulsar_swift

1. Remount the HSF wiuth some good paste.

2. set fan control to manual and let the fan rotate at full speed anything beyond 30C.

I've personally used a AMD Athlon X2 rig - I kept the fan control to manual and fan the speed @ 100% but that did not created any kind of irritating noise :p

If you enable cnq you should also set the vcore to auto mode as cnq will automatically reduce voltage when the clock speed and cpu usage are low.

But if you want to set the vcore manually then also disable cnq and uninstall it from windows.

Ok let me try this over the weekend and get back with the results.
Posting the pics as suggested.
*img191.imageshack.us/i/10042010049.jpg/

*img412.imageshack.us/i/15042010056.jpg/

pulsar_swift

Youngling
Ok guys. Problem has been identified HSF is faulty going for RMA.
I am getting a error message in windows 7, cpu fan not working properly, you must shutdown the PC and check it

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^^ exactly what i told u pulsar. heatsink faulty. high temperature normal but weird sound, none will tolerate such things. get it RMA'd soon buddy.

Top Bottom