Official Android discussion thread

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
My point was directed at the phone. But rather to the why get a phone with powerful processor question.
This should have been.
My point was not directed at the phone. But rather to the why get a phone with powerful processor question.

As far as of the X10 Mini goes people should get whatever they like. Personally Id rather get the PRO over the mini just for the keypad. But if I had a choice among Spica and X10 Mini's I would definitely go for the Spica. However that's just my opinion. Like whatever works for you.

vulpine

Broken In
X10 mini according to me, should be given as a free complement to X10:grin:
Quite handy for those who dont wanna carry that bulky thing in their pockets. Keep X10 in your carry bag. And mini in your pockets.lol.
Its definitely not for a 6' guy like me. It would be really weird talking,holding that thing on your ears.

Jokes apart, As some one said default android is way better than this sony customised UI. X10 should have come with that to keep costs low. Girls will surely love it! Gift your GF one if you want to impress her.

And yeah X10 mini pro with keyboard makes a little more sense. And it should not be any more than 15Ks.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
X10 mini according to me, should be given as a free complement to X10:grin:
OMG! That's freakin brilliant man! Imagine.. Somehow link the two phones.. When you wanna use *just* the phone features and are travelling in crowded places etc, use the X10 mini! Else use the X10! Seriously, brilliant!

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
OMG!! How can you guys be so dumb?? Have u even used the phone to see if it suits your needs? Most people here with an opinion of their own havent used either of the phones ever in their life and are all hunky dory when passing comments.

Oh and great, people here are actually segmenting phones on their size. Now what, the iphone 4 is too thin to be a smartphone?

Seems like phonearena/gsmarena are all run by ladies given the amount of interest shown in the phone. SE should be lauded for making this phone so touch friendly and easy to use. So someone here who likes the phone is a girl? How more dumb can you get?
Please dude, if you have an opinion, try the phone and let us know. Dont shoot blanks for the sake of it. It has been well recieved all over and given its price will sell good.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
OMG!! How can you guys be so dumb?? Have u even used the phone to see if it suits your needs?
Exactly! Now you get it! MY needs! Who can define MY needs better than ME? Well, MY need (as well as the others who have commented) is that the phone I use should be appropriately sized so that I am comfortable using it!

As you've seen this *need* is kinda shared by majority of people here. That's ALL we've been trying to say!

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
Yea. So?Stick to your needs.Why comment on if the phone is too tiny to be smartphone or not or taking digs at the phone without any base? Oh..its a ladies phone too? Soo fine..you dont like it.. Great.. A comment or two would do..dont flame me here.Am just trying to help people who like the phone and its an open forum.I have the liberty to write whatever i want given I have an ANDROID phone, rather two.. unlike a few. :rolleyes:

sujoyp

Grand Master
Aah soo it seems its cooled down to what someone needs...thank god:lol:

Soo can we recommend it to someone who need a stylish phone with all features:grin:

And it can be popular among the ladies and can be a cute gift to them:wink:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Seems like phonearena/gsmarena are all run by ladies given the amount of interest shown in the phone. SE should be lauded for making this phone so touch friendly and easy to use. So someone here who likes the phone is a girl? How more dumb can you get?
Please dude, if you have an opinion, try the phone and let us know. Dont shoot blanks for the sake of it. It has been well recieved all over and given its price will sell good.

then why is it that even a dumb phone like Nokia X6 is selling well but not X10 Mini? there are quite a few people that announced purchase of Nokia X6 on TDF and techenclave but none is least bit bothered about X10 Mini.

how can xperia make the following better than lower priced phones with larger display:

browsing
email
texting
watching videos
tweeting and facebook updates
gaming

add to that the puny 4hr talktime battery life.

here are my other options:

1) Samsung jet
2) Nokia X6
3) Samsung spica i5700 and Galaxy i7500
4) N97 Mini
5) HTC Hero
6) Nokia 5235 (8.5k, unlimited music, stunning audio quality, 3G, video calling, 3.2" display). hell I can get this phone and Cowon S9 for 17k approx total :)

all these phones are priced inside 20k. now, tell me why I should consider X10 Mini over these phones that offer more?

coming back to X10 mini.

*www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I3AORUOZlk

go to 0:46 mark. if that is how messaging is, then hell NO!

Last edited:

vulpine

Broken In
Oh and great, people here are actually segmenting phones on their size. Now what, the iphone 4 is too thin to be a smartphone?
Dude, whats your point? i didn't get it. You are comparing thinness of iphone
compactness of x10m.

SE should be lauded for making this phone so touch friendly and easy to use. So someone here who likes the phone is a girl?
When did I say that? I said girls will like it. Being liked by a girl is bad thing for you?
#universal -And your GF might like you just becas you are using an X10mini

then why is it that even a dumb phone like Nokia X6 is selling well but not X10 Mini? there are quite a few people that announced purchase of Nokia X6 on TDF and techenclave but none is least bit bothered about X10 Mini.

how can xperia make the following better than lower priced phones with larger display:

browsing
email
texting
watching videos
gaming

add to that the puny 4hr talktime battery life.

here are my other options:

1) Samsung jet
2) Nokia X6
3) Samsung spica i5700 and Galaxy i7500
4) N97 Mini
5) HTC Hero
6) Nokia 5235 (8.5k, unlimited music, stunning audio quality, 3G, video calling, 3.2" display). hell I can get this phone and Cowon S9 for 17k approx total :)

all these phones are priced inside 20k. now, tell me why I should consider X10 Mini over these phones that offer more?

can't agree more. Exactly my thoughts. Touch screen and small form factor just dont go well together.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
DUDE! YOU'RE NOT PAYING ATTENTION! "Because it is fluid" :|

LOL. sorry. forgot. :)

a difference of .3" (between ipod touch and legend) showed huge difference in typing. I just can't imagine using numpad for mails and messaging on a 2.55" display! and like vulpine said, this should be given for free along with every X10. Atleast it may get some sales on both these soon-to-be-extinct models.

Also, SE pushing updates to android phones is like Apple pushing iphones to India. by the time the model/update comes out, rest of the world will be on a whole new level.

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
Omg. Comments seem to get weirder by the day. I dint realize thst the tdf forum is the only base for phone lovers. Others are simply not applicable. Oh anf btw, the x6 was released a month back and its a week that the mini is on stores now. And i am pretty sure the minis size would suffice for 140 charactered twitter updates and facebook likewise given i am typing this comment from the mini(with its brilliant t9 dic). It provides twitter and fb updates on your homescreen with a good camera, excellent
interface, fluid software and compactness. For emails go for the pro.
I suggest u apply for a post at either of the two review sites given ur expertise.

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

Oh and the x10 is still the best selling handset in the uk and japan. So it isnt actually extinct. Lol
Oh commentd remind me of the fabled frog well story.:D

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Omg. Comments seem to get weirder by the day. I dint realize thst the tdf forum is the only base for phone lovers. Others are simply not applicable. Oh anf btw, the x6 was released a month back and its a week that the mini is on stores now. And i am pretty sure the minis size would suffice for 140 charactered twitter updates and facebook likewise given i am typing this comment from the mini(with its brilliant t9 dic). It provides twitter and fb updates on your homescreen with a good camera, excellent
interface, fluid software and compactness. For emails go for the pro.
I suggest u apply for a post at either of the two review sites given ur expertise.

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

Oh and the x10 is still the best selling handset in the uk and japan. So it isnt actually extinct. Lol
Oh commentd remind me of the fabled frog well story.:D

This was the comment in gsmarena's conclusion:

Reading your mail, browsing the web or watching video will be better on almost any other touch phone out there. But the X10 mini doesn’t want you to be sensible and practical. It hopes you’ll appreciate the idea behind it. Getting smaller and better – isn’t this the life story of mobile phones.

it clearly says it all. this phone can't do what other touch phone does but buy it coz it's teeny weeny cutey apple pie :) and isn't this what we have been shouting all along! and still you haven't answered my question. why should I pay more for this phone when I get better phones for less price and I can keep any of these phones in my pocket?

Last edited:

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
Errmm. Read my posts. When exactly did i say that this phone is good for mails? I clearly suggested the pro. Browsing isnt a prob for me, given i generally use the x10 and videos. Bigger the better obviously, but it. Pretty much compensates by its compactness and intelligent engineering.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Errmm. Read my posts. When exactly did i say that this phone is good for mails? I clearly suggested the pro. Browsing isnt a prob for me, given i generally use the x10 and videos. Bigger the better obviously, but it. Pretty much compensates by its compactness and intelligent engineering.

see, told ya. :) looks like your judgement on X10 mini is clouded by the fact that you have X10 that covers for X10 Mini (which again proves vulpine's point) :)

and what the hell is this intelligent engineering? if X10 Mini is intelligent engineering, then I would say HTC Hero is rocket science and Nexus One is space cowboyism!

---------- Post added at 11:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

How is samsung galaxy i5700??
N whats its current price?

Samsung Galaxy Spica i5700 should now cost around 13k. problem is that it's very difficult to find in the market now. any info you want on i5700, check with fellow member Sriharsha Maddineni. he is walking wikipedia of i5700.

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 PM ----------

and if you trust ebay dealers, this one looks to be a decent option:

*cgi.ebay.in/New-Samsung-i5700-GALA...wItem&pt=IN_Mobile_Phones&hash=item439f40f31c

Last edited:

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
Yea. The nexus one isnt actually for humans. No wonder its a fail. O by your logic people buy phones to watch videos and thats it. Oh great. So inteligent. I guess people wont mind taking quality pics,vids,use the market or anything else. Useless spending my bandwidth here. Let the sales decide.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Yea. The nexus one isnt actually for humans. No wonder its a fail. O by your logic people buy phones to watch videos and thats it. Oh great. So inteligent. I guess people wont mind taking quality pics,vids,use the market or anything else. Useless spending my bandwidth here. Let the sales decide.

by my logic, a good smartphone should be good at these atlest:

browsing
email
texting
watching videos
gaming

and here are few more quotes from gsmarena:

calling and messaging:
The sound is loud and clear if you manage to hold the phone right. That’s a bit easier said than done as the phone is quite small and we had a finger on the mouthpiece on several occasions.
We also ran our traditional loudspeaker test on the Sony Ericsson XPERIA X10 mini. We were rather disappointed with its Below Average score. You might want to keep an eye on the little fella when it’s noisy around you if you don’t want to miss calls.
Quite naturally, the Sony Ericsson XPERIA X10 mini isn’t the heavy texters’ choice. The software is just fine, but with the limited text input options long messaging sessions are out of the question.
In any case, the X10 mini pro should be the choice for those that actually do more than an occasional SMS on their phones.

photos, video, audio:

Gallery’s nothing to get excited about
There is none of the cool new look of Android 2.0 and later devices – you just get a plain grid with your images sorted by date.
Unfortunately, there are no Bluetooth file transfers in the gallery or any other fancy functionality that more demanding users might expect. The X10 mini is a simple tool for previewing your images and it won’t do more than that.
Video player needs more work
Music player is pretty basic too
The Sony Ericsson XPERIA X10 mini performed more than decently in our traditional audio quality test. The noise level, dynamic range and stereo crosstalk are the strongest points of its performance but the rest of the readings aren't bad either.

there isn't a single thing still at which X10 excelled.

browsing:

Web browser is in a dire need of a higher-res screen and Flash support

i can imagine how good browsing will be on this tiny screen

and the irony is that the only one thing that X10 Mini is better at when compaerd to other phones in same price point is, guess what, CAMERAAAAAAAAAA :)

someone said that gsmarena was all praises on this phone??? these quotes really really do contradict a lot!

I need to correct your earlier statement on intelligent engineering. X10 mini is not intelligent engineering. It's liquid engineering coz the UI is so fluid :)

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
by my logic, a good smartphone should be good at these atlest:

browsing
email
texting
watching videos
gaming

and here are few more quotes from gsmarena:
Ermm.. Why exactly do we need a smartphone if our main objective is to browse(can be done properly on any phone with opera mini or likewise),email(dont tell me that you have no clue about dumbphones offering push-email),texting(i wont even try to comment), videos yeah if in divx but this phone was never meant for videos, updates(u are slow arent you?), gaming(well.. Android doesnt have many games to show for yet. Better games are available in java).

And download an app called bluetooth file tranfers and you are good. And it does have file transfer btw. It isnt incorporated in either of the scapes.

I would say, you need a smartphone to be able to multitask better and have better support through avaibility of multiple apps. Anyways, if you are a heavy texter, get the Mini pro. For me, thats exactly what the thing is missing right now. Anyways, i will probably upload a video once my sems are over next week. For me, its a nice little touch and will sell a lot. Enough now, lets get back on topic.
Android that is.

Top Bottom