Official Android discussion thread

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Is there anyway I can ensure that when I compose SMS only contacts who have phone number to be displayed. Whenever I compose group messages it's a pain since it lists all people who don't have phone number like who have email address and that message gets converted to MMS and then gets stuck.
Do I have install some app like GO SMS to get around this problem
I think I have been asking this on xda and other forums for past two years. Never found any constructive answer! It's really unbelievable that no one other than we have mentioned this or asked for a solution.
Anyway, I don't really think there's any option other than using a sodding third party app like Go, which I don't like and won't use.

I'll ask this on xda once again.

ajayritik

Technomancer
^^ What's really annoying is that if I try to do a group message it ends up including the same contact who maybe saved with email address or it doesn't even list the contact with phone or email.

- - - Updated - - -

Also one more dumb thing I found it is, somehow if we sync it tries to readd the previous number of existing contact.
I have couple of friends and relatives who changed their contact number for whatever reason and after I update their contact details with new number , the stupid old number comes back again, I then forget to remember which is the current/working number.
Also I think there is no specific settings to disable this option.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Yes, that's right, old bloody numbers just stay there. It's like in hell, nothing dies, uff....disgusting.

Well I got so frustrated one day I just copied all the contacts to whom I send messages regularly under Favourites, so I just now compose a message and select the favourite option rather than bloody contacts. Not a nifty way, but it's the only way I've found.

This is one more reason why Android / Google needs to focus on basic stuffs more rather than meaningless stuffs for geeky kids :cool:

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Is there anyway I can ensure that when I compose SMS only contacts who have phone number to be displayed. Whenever I compose group messages it's a pain since it lists all people who don't have phone number like who have email address and that message gets converted to MMS and then gets stuck.

No, you can't do that. But how are you selecting the ones with email addresses ?

See here - Screenshot_2014-04-21-20-42-15.jpg

Clearly, one can easily just can't get confused that which is email address or a no. At least that's the case in mine.

Also one more dumb thing I found it is, somehow if we sync it tries to readd the previous number of existing contact.
I have couple of friends and relatives who changed their contact number for whatever reason and after I update their contact details with new number , the stupid old number comes back again, I then forget to remember which is the current/working number.
Also I think there is no specific settings to disable this option.

You can only remove the old nos from google.com/contacts, no other option for that.

^^ What's really annoying is that if I try to do a group message it ends up including the same contact who maybe saved with email address or it doesn't even list the contact with phone or email.

Happens due to duplicate contacts (old/new ones) due to the above stated problem.

But I agree to the fact that contact syncing is not perfect.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, Aptoide is free for paid apps, legally, don't know how :|

Figured out. You'd need to patch them before making them to work. At least the comments say that.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
How to avoid contacts with only email address? Follow these steps, might work:

1. Open People app
2. From | -> Contacts to display
3. Tap Customize
4. Uncheck "All others contact", and only check "My Contacts" on top.

*i.minus.com/ibaIHnsmy9Je8.png

ariftwister

Truth Seeker

Do you use OEM modified messaging app? Because mine is aosp messaging app and when I create new message it shows only those Contacts which have number.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
No, you can't do that. But how are you selecting the ones with email addresses ?

See here -

Clearly, one can easily just can't get confused that which is email address or a no. At least that's the case in mine.
You are just typing in someone's name! Is that how you send group message?
Figured out. You'd need to patch them before making them to work. At least the comments say that.
What does this mean? Patch them?

tkin

Back to school!!

See here - View attachment 14220

You can only remove the old nos from google.com/contacts, no other option for that.

Happens due to duplicate contacts (old/new ones) due to the above stated problem.

But I agree to the fact that contact syncing is not perfect.

- - - Updated - - -

So this is just like Blackmart Alpha? ;)

Gollum

Collector
i use whatsapp to text.

if the other person doesnt have a whatsapp account, i just call them up. :p

havent used SMS services in the last 1.5years. :)

- - - Updated - - -

wth!! :?

you are running 4.2.2?

I send SMS only when I have to send a message urgently and make sure it has reached its destination.
what's app is dependent on the other persons internet connectivity. if internet is not connected, then your message will stay in the cloud and reach late.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
I send SMS only when I have to send a message urgently and make sure it has reached its destination.
what's app is dependent on the other persons internet connectivity. if internet is not connected, then your message will stay in the cloud and reach late.

thats why i Call. to make sure the other guy hears what is needed to be told.

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
wth!! :?

you are running 4.2.2?

Nope its 4.1.2

Why shock?

- - - Updated - - -

i use whatsapp to text.

if the other person doesnt have a whatsapp account, i just call them up. :p

havent used SMS services in the last 1.5years. :)

Still some of my friends use old nokia mobiles without internet.. So I am SMSing them without a day for 5 years or so !! Heck I even remember I ran out of monthly limit of 10,000 sms.

- - - Updated - - -

You are just typing in someone's name! Is that how you send group message?

Yeah after typing second name the thread is changed to new one (group)

tkin

Back to school!!
Can't say, not really into android piracy :p

I always find a free alternative.
Same here, never once pirated any app since I got job, its not worth going through all that patching just for 50/- Apps like poweramp are a steal at whatever price they sell it.

Deadman

Journeyman
Does the smart stay feature works on s4 or any galaxy series. For me the screen dims off even if i m looking at it, the eye icon also rarely blinks. Is there any fix?

Top Bottom