Next Gen Console discussion ( PS4 'n Xbox One'n Wii U )

Status
Not open for further replies.

heidi2521

Padawan
No this was more like a question for the sony fanboys out here "If Mario is so childish,how come its the second best-selling franchise?"
strangely in Ubi's 20 Best selling franchise in 8 years list,not a single PS exclusive series is listed :lol:

Oh, Come on. That hardly qualifies as "Next gen console discussion" either. This is not "Is Mario/Nintendo childish or not" discussion.

The only explanations I see for Ubi's claims are:

1. They are full of **** <--- Possible
2. They split the franchises/excluded games in such a manner that their games come up higher.<---- Probably what happened.

If the data is correct, Mario should still be first best selling franchise so that would be a more potent question :).

heidi2521

Padawan
Ubisoft reaffirms its faith in Nintendo | GamesIndustry International

Ubisoft thinks that Nintendo will turn the Wii U around

NES – notenoughshaders.com – Wii U: Two Years of Negative Brand Momentum

3D Dot Game Heroes Developer Provided Tech For Square Enix's Luminous Engine | Siliconera

Interesting interview. Silicon Studio is the developer of Bravely Default: Flying Fairy.

EA's Wii U Vendetta - Is Electronic Arts Trying to Kill the Wii U?

To add to the article, I think that EA wants to kill the Wii U off and make Nintendo exit the console space because a M$ony duopoly would be beneficial for them. Historically, the 3rd party dominance has been skewed away from them on Nintendo platforms. EA, Activision and Take2 have been amongst the bottom most publishers on Nintendo platforms while they were top in others. Instead, SEGA, Capcom, THQ (RIP), Ubisoft etc. have done much better on these platforms than others.

Next Xbox will not be always connected:

*www.gametrailers.com/videos/hfvn5o/pach-attack--xbox-predictions

Pachter said:
As much as it pains, this always-on, always connected rumor is starting to sound like it might be real

heidi2521

Padawan
*twitter.com/thurrott/status/336475059604570112

Thurrott said:
A couple of Xbox news tidbits ahead of the launch... Illumiroom will be part of Tues event, subsidized Xbox v.Next model has been scrapped.

*kotaku.com/what-the-next-playstation-and-xbox-need-to-get-right-508830626

The best part was:

Sony and Microsoft must avoid putting up new and alarming DRM schemes, and focus on enabling the cool new game experiences that seamlessly connected consoles allow.

Coming from Riccitello :lol:

Crowdfarter : Game & Wario for Wii U

Nintendo is promoting Game & Wario with a crowdfarter.

heidi2521

Padawan
BBC News - Xbox revealed: Experts on Microsoft's next games console

Dear Molyneux: No one cares about your opinions any more.

*imageupload.co.uk/files/7vsfbtjrkaefv9w1a2cm.jpg

Only tangentially related but:

*i.minus.com/ibbKyeGlNEBJd4.png

Damn Volkswagen for holding back my Ferraris.

Panopticon revealed as a Vita title. Looks like another of Sony's attempts at a Monster Hunter killer.

Sony trolling people searching for the next Xbox.

*abload.de/img/beyondtheboxzty4x.png

Ex-GTA producer: Don't expect 3 consoles in next, next gen | Tech Culture - CNET News

"It's going to be very challenging for Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo," said Pope, who is currently running a mobile startup he founded called Rally Games. "I wouldn't be surprised if we see by the next generation some consolidation of some sort -- it seems hard to fathom that we're going to have these three big players again and again with the way everything is shaking out."

The dynamics of the console market are making it more difficult to compete, Pope said. He noted that several companies have stopped developing console games "because it's become so expensive, so time-consuming, and only the major players can partake, which means you get projects that aren't as creative and projects where you aren't as involved because you're a smaller cog in the machine."

Western next gen consoles aren't gonna reduce said costs. Lets hope that studios like Mistwalker(Sakaguchi's studio founded after he left SE) survive. They may decide to go handheld primary/only due to skyrocketing costs.

*i.imgur.com/Hg3klDh.jpg

Sony is on a troll today.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Watch the coverage here people:

Next-Gen Xbox Infinity ∞

Streaming is surprisingly good. I'm watching it currently.!!!!!

Its called "XBOX ONE".

It kinda looks like a VCR.:confused:

*i.imgur.com/k7aA3I1.jpg

The gesture controls are AMAZINNNNGGGGGG though.

Man, i've never seen such dynamic gestures controls before. Switching between live tv, movies and gaming is just like pressing a remote button.
Microsoft has nailed it here.

Last edited:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Looks like a VCR :p , not too impressed with games demo's shots but other features were good enough, cant wait till E3 to look at the competition.

Call of Duty still looks the same :|

heidi2521

Padawan
Oh my god. This conference is hilarious. Why would I want a Xbox One when I already have a 360? Seriously, who thought of that name.

My takeaway is: Kinect, Kinect, Kinect, Skype, ESPN, DVR, Kinect, FIFA, Buzzwords, NHL, COD, Kinect.

Was this conference some sort of giant farce?

They appear to be targeting the kind of people(read: casual dudebros) who buy the same things over and over again.

The number of bullshots were amazing.

I wonder if M$ had anything to do with the EA's Nintendo backstab?

darkv0id

Journeyman
Where were the games? :|

I'm not really surprised. This event was most likely an attempt to project the console as an entertainment hub to appeal to casual audiences, rather than just a gaming machine. Fine with me, as long as we see some good stuff at E3.

Why would anyone name they name their 3rd console as Xbox One though, I have no idea.

EDIT: Apparently you might have to fork out extra $$$ to play used games (via Wired)

What follows naturally from this is that each disc would have to be tied to a unique Xbox Live account, else you could take a single disc and pass it between everyone you know and copy the game over and over. Since this is clearly not going to happen, each disc must then only install for a single owner.

Microsoft did say that if a disc was used with a second account, that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, which would then mean that the new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
I'm not really surprised. This event was most likely an attempt to project the console as an entertainment hub, rather than just a gaming machine. Fine with me, as long as we see some good stuff at E3.

Why would anyone name they name their 3rd console as Xbox One though, I have no idea.

You've kinda answered your question in your post. "One" signifies marrying everything onto a console. Its a settop box for live tv, a video player, a gaming machine, socially active system and lot others. The gesture controls were amazing though. I don't think even sony can match it here. This isn't the old kinect. The sensors seemed like far more tactile with almost 1:1 response.

The VCR like system is kind of replicating small server design which incorporates pc hardware. To cool stuff like that, instead of making aesthetically beautiful, going for a better form factor with optimal cooling makes more sense. Besides, that console won't look out of place in a living room or i must say.........it won't look like a toy!!!!

For games, E3 is the platform. So no surprises there. The conference was great and they actually showed the console physically.
More than enough to grab attention and take away the spotlight from a recent dubious console from a soon to be doomed company.

cyborg47

Technomancer
The conference was great and they actually showed the console physically.
More than enough to grab attention and take away the spotlight from a recent dubious console from a soon to be doomed company.

What makes you think anyone would take your opinions seriously when they see these kind of fanboy garbage? :|

As for how I feel about the entire conference, i was bored, probably coz I'm not a living room entertainment guy. The games weren't anything unique either, except for the remedy's new game which was screwed up by the lame trailer. Good thing we have Sony who aren't jumping on 'family-only' bandwagon. Embrace the core!! :)

EDIT - No backwards compatibility? oh well.

Last edited:

heidi2521

Padawan
I'm not really surprised. This event was most likely an attempt to project the console as an entertainment hub to appeal to casual audiences, rather than just a gaming machine. Fine with me, as long as we see some good stuff at E3.

EDIT: Apparently you might have to fork out extra $$$ to play used games (via Wired)

Well, EA just removed its online pass. MS anounced a strong(perhaps even unprecedented) partnership with EA. And now they have an offline pass. Seems a little too perfect to be a coincidence to me.

According to Yahoo finance Sonys shares we up 9%.

With this gamers appear to have been sidelined. They showed exactly zero gameplay footage. They want to make this a glorified roku that you use to play Fifa and CoD rather than primarily a gaming platform like the Wii U or PS4.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
As for how I feel about the entire conference, i was bored, probably coz I'm not a living room entertainment guy. The games weren't anything unique either, except for the remedy's new game which was screwed up by the lame trailer. Good thing we have Sony who aren't jumping on 'family' bandwagon. Embrace the core!! :)

The conference was boring without games but the gesture controls were the main highlight of the show. I'm not a living room type of guy either, but stuff like this is of great help for a console that entertains in the broadest sense. I hope sony's design isn't that of a toy. From the teaser, i kinda think they've done a commendable job in designing it.

Btw the controller seems to be a let down. Its like a rehash of the old xbox controller.

Backward compatibility will be through cloud services, just like PS4. I mean placing the xenon/xenos chip into an x86 architecture would have been unnecessary.
They've done the right thing in this department.

*www.engadget.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-hardware-and-specs/

cyborg47

Technomancer
That's not exactly backward compatibility. Like, I can't play my copy of halo reach on xbox one unless I pay a small amount of money.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
That's not exactly backward compatibility. Like, I can't play my copy of halo reach on xbox one unless I pay a small amount of money.

Well you can still play it on your 360 if you have a copy. Backward compatibility from an engineering standpoint isn't a viable option. I mean imagine putting the cell processor into a ps4.
Not only it takes the cost sky high, but also posses a lot of mismatch issues. The architectures of current gen and next gen is like apples and oranges.

Cloud services are the only sane methods to make backward compatibility possible. Sony also took the same direction due to the same reasons.
Besides, there may be a way of authenticating a game disc so as to stream it for free over cloud.

cyborg47

Technomancer
"Most expensive remote in the world" LOL!

*sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/181398_536676956374780_1601229999_n.jpg

darkv0id

Journeyman
Been looking everywhere but no info on the GPU. Does anyone have any idea what sort of GPU they are using? SOC or discrete?

heidi2521

Padawan
Building Xbox One: An inside look at Microsoft's play for the next generation of gaming
Iwata Asks | 1. Introduction | Iwata Asks: NERD | Nintendo

Iwata asks NERD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom