Next Gen Console discussion ( PS4 'n Xbox One'n Wii U )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarath

iDota
Next Generation Console Discussion

There are too many threads with the same topic. I am hence merging all of them. DO NOT create any more threads for discussion about the next generation of consoles, lovingly known as PS4 and Xbox720 (although the latter is more of a guess)

I am hereby merging vickybat and comp@ddict's threads and also CommanderShawnzer's post which was to deal with Xbox only but didn't see much activity. I am adding it here as a tribute to his and everyone's effort in creating the OP.

This is an interesting piece of information guys. The ps4 is all set to feature desktop class hardware and everything from cpu to gpu is going to be amd.

The cpu is going to be an A8 3850 quadcore with a radeon 6550 integrated. Not only this, ps4 will also get a discrete gpu i.e a radeon 7670 with 1gb dedicated vram.

Insider says that under heavy graphics load, the 6550d and 7670 will get internally crossfired. The xbox 720 on the other hand gets a radeon 6670 ( which is similar to a 7670) but lacks the 6550 igp that ps4 has.

This might give the ps4 an edge over 720. These components might seem entry level to lower mid-end if spoken in context of pc hardware. But consoles will have far lower abstraction than pc, custom api's and a game developed for a specific set of hardware unlike pc.

Lets see where all this goes up. Given a bit more time, amd might fit its trinity apu's in ps4 but the current specs are really very good.

Source

The link is fixed now. :)

There are threads now and then, and the frequency is only going to increase. So I thought of making one common thread where people can offload their fantasies regarding next generation consoles (including me) and discuss about the realities and actual possible specs and release dates.

Here's what I got latest on specifications:

PS4:
- AMD A8-3850 quad core 2.9GHz CPU
- AMD HD6670/7670 GPU in CFx with APU
- 1GB Memory

ConsoleWatch: PlayStation 4 "Orbis" CPU Specs Leak, But Likely Reflect Early Hardware - HotHardware

Report – IGN sources detail, confirm Sony’s rumored PS4 specs | VG247

XBox 720:
- 16 Core IBM PowerPC based CPU
- AMD HD6670 GPU

Xbox 720 Devkit Specs Detailed, Includes 16-Core Processor | SilleGamer

Go!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To start with, I'm HUGELY disappointed at the GPU. And apparently MS is also working on an Xbox Lite based on ARM cores for a 100$ price point. What? Now we need a new console for angry birds on TV?

Microsoft Working on ARM-Based Xbox "Lite" Platform - Rumour - X-bit labs

Xbox Details:
ok, this is a thread to discuss xbox 720(or whatever its gonna be called)
no ps3 fanboys if you're looking for PS4 news make your own thread or request sarath,gameranad or vickibat(these dudes own ps3's) to make a thread for ps4
*www.gamesthirst.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/xbox-720-logo.jpg
so there are two rumored versions of this console only one is true
Could it be codenamed Xbox Loop?
Noted Microsoft blogger MS Nerd outed the name Xbox Loop, claiming that the long-awaited console will be "far smaller", cheaper and quite Kinect-focused when it finally lands on our shelves.

Could it be codenamed Durango?
Recent reports indicate that Microsoft's internal codename for the new Xbox is 'Durango'. Sean Tracy, a technical designer at games developer Crytek, said on Twitter: "Enjoying the Durango developers summit in London. So far, great swag and interesting talks".

The tweet was very quickly taken down.

The Xbox 720 processor and graphics

The latest rumours indicate that the next Xbox will pack graphics based on AMD's 6670 chip
which would bring support for DirectX11, multi-display and 3D. But this would be very disappointing for many gamers who are hoping for a truly next-gen console.

By the time the new Xbox is scheduled for release in 2013 AMD will have already released its entire lineup of HD 8000 series graphics chips, meaning the GPU component of the Xbox chip (code-named Oban) would be at the very least two entire generations behind.(some ps3 fanboys snickering somewhere....)

Previous rumours had stated that the graphics portion of the Xbox chip (the CPU part probably being an IBM PowerPC) would be based on the current HD 7000 series of graphics chips which in turn are being used in AMD's next generation of APUs, code-named Trinity.

Still, this current production run of the chip with Global Foundaries and IBM is only going to be for the first initial dev kits, so there is a chance the silicon will change significantly before the final launch.

Xbox 720 storage and disc format

The most obvious next-gen storage option for the next Xbox is Blu-ray. But Microsoft has refused to add it to the existing Xbox 360. Other alternatives? You'll find flag-wavers for flash drives, Nintendo-style game cartridges, even the resurrection of HD-DVD.

The most recent rumours speculate that the new Xbox will ship without a disc drive of any kind. The report on MCV says that the console will use "interchangeable solid state storage" which would indicate that games will be both downloadable and available on PS Vita-style memory cards.
(f**k you microsoft, steve job's anti-blu-ray soul has possesed you)

What about the Xbox 720 controller?

Love it/hate it, gesture-control is here to stay. Expect an improved version of Microsoft's Kinect hardware to be a prominent feature of any new Xbox. Kinect is currently the world's "fastest selling consumer electronics device" with sales topping 10 million. A Guinness World Record.

But the game pad will remain the input device of choice for veteran gamers.(and for me) i can't imagine playing Gears of War 4 by waving our arms around. It lacks precision.

Could the next Xbox run :windows:Windows 8:windows:?

Microsoft wants to create an ecosystem of apps and games that work between Windows Phone, Windows and the next Xbox. But could that mean the new gaming console could run a variant of Windows 8 as Gamerant suggests?:)) :))

//MOD edit:
Any more threads dealing with next generation of consoles will be deleted. Kindly use this thread for such discussion.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
PS4 and Xbox 720 Graphics Specs leaked

This is an interesting piece of information guys. The ps4 is all set to feature desktop class hardware and everything from cpu to gpu is going to be amd.

The cpu is going to be an A8 3850 quadcore with a radeon 6550 integrated. Not only this, ps4 will also get a discrete gpu i.e a radeon 7670 with 1gb dedicated vram.

Insider says that under heavy graphics load, the 6550d and 7670 will get internally crossfired. The xbox 720 on the other hand gets a radeon 6670 ( which is similar to a 7670) but lacks the 6550 igp that ps4 has.

This might give the ps4 an edge over 720. These components might seem entry level to lower mid-end if spoken in context of pc hardware. But consoles will have far lower abstraction than pc, custom api's and a game developed for a specific set of hardware unlike pc.

Lets see where all this goes up. Given a bit more time, amd might fit its trinity apu's in ps4 but the current specs are really very good.

Source

The link is fixed now. :)

d3p

PowerHouse
Re: PS4 and Xbox 720 Graphics Specs leaked

^ One of my friend is currently working with X-Box New Gen Console. The Project is supported by Toshiba.

TBH, it will support USB 3.0, a PCIe 3.0 slot with a uATX mobo. User can expand the HDD depending upon his wish & hook up any future Gen Card. Just like Desktops.

J

Joker

all 3 consoles using amd gpu....huge source of income which nvidia has missed out.

doesnt matter which console wins the console war...amd has won it for sure if this is to be believed.

this also means developers working on multiple platforms will be working with amd as it is powering the hardware on all 3 consoles. death of gimmicks like physx. :cool:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

I'll be buying a Wii U.

"death" brought the lulz.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
XBox 720 and PS4 Rumours/Speculation Thread

There are threads now and then, and the frequency is only going to increase. So I thought of making one common thread where people can offload their fantasies regarding next generation consoles (including me) and discuss about the realities and actual possible specs and release dates.

Here's what I got latest on specifications:

PS4:
- AMD A8-3850 quad core 2.9GHz CPU
- AMD HD6670/7670 GPU in CFx with APU
- 1GB Memory

ConsoleWatch: PlayStation 4 "Orbis" CPU Specs Leak, But Likely Reflect Early Hardware - HotHardware

Report – IGN sources detail, confirm Sony’s rumored PS4 specs | VG247

XBox 720:
- 16 Core IBM PowerPC based CPU
- AMD HD6670 GPU

Xbox 720 Devkit Specs Detailed, Includes 16-Core Processor | SilleGamer

Go!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To start with, I'm HUGELY disappointed at the GPU. And apparently MS is also working on an Xbox Lite based on ARM cores for a 100$ price point. What? Now we need a new console for angry birds on TV?

Microsoft Working on ARM-Based Xbox "Lite" Platform - Rumour - X-bit labs

desiJATT

Away from Forums, Again!
Re: XBox 720 and PS4 Rumours/Speculation Thread

^^ Don't worry about backward compatibility as Sony has never disappointed gamers regarding this. PS2 had PS1 games compatibility, PS3 has PS2 games compatibility, and hopefully, PS4 will support PS3 games too.

But one thing always comes in my mind. How do these consoles render games at 1080p with such a low end graphics card whereas we PC gamers have to shell out 20-25K for just the GPU to get great framerates at high settings. Moreover, i saw the Comparison video of BF3 on console and PC, there was no difference at all! How is this possible? Enlighten me on this one.

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
sheesh,you guys are talking like pc gamers...........xx console may have better graphics than pp console
if you've played a console game on two platforms there is'nt any kind of graphical superiority on either
only games which exploit the power of consoles are thier respective exclusives

^^ Don't worry about backward compatibility as Sony has never disappointed gamers regarding this. PS2 had PS1 games compatibility, 1.PS3 has PS2 games compatibility, and hopefully, PS4 will support PS3 games too.

But one thing always comes in my mind. 2.How do these consoles render games at 1080p with such a low end graphics card whereas we PC gamers have to shell out 20-25K for just the GPU to get great framerates at high settings.
3.Moreover, i saw the Comparison video of BF3 on console and PC, there was no difference at all! How is this possible? Enlighten me on this one.

1.the ps3 slim does not have backward compatibility with ps2 games.ps2 compatibility was limited to Phat ps3 models

2.thats because most games are built ground-up for consoles
thier pc versions are just ports

3.Bf3 on ultra high on a gtx 580 is heavenly(played on a friends pc)well,the console versions are.........earthly
i.e on mid graphics settings most pc games resemble thier console counterparts

@sarath :dude,make this thread sticky

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Re: XBox 720 and PS4 Rumours/Speculation Thread

But one thing always comes in my mind. How do these consoles render games at 1080p with such a low end graphics card whereas we PC gamers have to shell out 20-25K for just the GPU to get great framerates at high settings. Moreover, i saw the Comparison video of BF3 on console and PC, there was no difference at all! How is this possible? Enlighten me on this one.

May be because of the fact that developers don't need to support plethora of hardware in case of PC games, thereby much needed hardware optimization for consoles becomes much easier. Eventually, they excel even at such "low" configs.

//Copied to this thread ;)

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Rumor: Xbox 720 to Have 'Ridiculously Powerful' 16-Core CPU

It seems microsoft seems to be sticking with ibm's powerpc architecture processors for its next gen console while sony seems to have jumped into conventional x86 designs.

The 16 core cpu for next xbox does appear ridiculous now but might be worthwhile in the long run considering the overall long lifecycle of a console. It seems xbox 720 will also get radeon 7xxx series treatment for its gpu.

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
Rumor: Xbox 720 to Have 'Ridiculously Powerful' 16-Core CPU

It seems microsoft seems to be sticking with ibm's powerpc architecture processors for its next gen console while sony seems to have jumped into conventional x86 designs.

The 16 core cpu for next xbox does appear ridiculous now but might be worthwhile in the long run considering the overall long lifecycle of a console. It seems xbox 720 will also get radeon 7xxx series treatment for its gpu.
:hyper: :hyper:
16 cores :shock: WTF??
anyways Amen to the good news

gameranand

Living to Play
But if hardware would be next gen. Then expect the price to be next gen also means high as I don't think they want losses in hardware.

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
Consoles usually always sell for a loss initially. With Vita selling at 20k here the next console might easily be above 30k or heck even 40 :eek:

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
30k seems a possibility as it has happened in future but 40k I donot think will happen.
Found a article on Tech radar that says PS 4 wont be out till Christmas 2013!

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
so it means PS4 will be able to play PC games, and we may also see windows or linux installed on it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom