Next Gen Console discussion ( PS4 'n Xbox One'n Wii U )

Status
Not open for further replies.

heidi2521

Padawan
Masaru Kato confirms the P$4 will be sold at a loss.

Looks like they will lose about $100 unlike $400 for the PS3.

Buddy, I think next gen Game play is going to be an inherrent part of the next gen Graphics. When people are talking about the next gen graphics quality, they're actually pointing out about the hardware capabilities and the new models and architectures used in it. As a result very powerful AI codes and game intelligence logics, as well as advanced gameplay models can be implemented which was tough to optimize in the older architecture and their imiting processing powers.
The new consoles (except Wii) are not only a 8 Core Processor along with a dedicated and powerful GPU, they are something different, a move to the next generation HSA implementation which offers plenty of possibilities.

I don't think a 7 year console counts as new ;)

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Masaru Kato confirms the P$4 will be sold at a loss.

Looks like they will lose about $100 unlike $400 for the PS3.

I don't know how the heck you figured those numbers with the context of that link. The way i see it kato was a bit on the pessimistic side which is understandable for a console with extreme high hopes. There will be minimal losses and i wouldn't be surprised if its a profit actually.
And yes, do care to explain about that $100 loss with respect to the context of that link only and not your assumptions.

I don't think a 7 year console counts as new ;)

And cilus meant the wii-u only, not the 7 year old soon to be retired wii. The wii-u is devoid of any HSA features and his post implied the same.
His post is also a standing proof of why developers are abandoning the self proclaimed next gen console and why its gathering dust in form of dev kits.
Don't take everything literally.

@ thread

The $458 million profit for sony is a welcome change and comes at a right time with E3 round the corner for a ps4 reveal.
Its a positive take for all potential developers to embrace the sony bandwagon.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Wii U has a propeitary disc format which can hold up to 25GB

Another dumb move by Nintendo. Adhering to a standard and universal format ( blue ray) would not only have given them more maximum space ( 150 gb for quadruple layers) , but also it would have acted like a standalone blue-ray player. Well 25 gb is still okay (Nintendo games seldom use that much space) , it still isn't a cost effective solution. Blue-ray would also have been ideal for future 4k content too. But that's in a bit of distance now. Next-xbox is also going down the blue-ray path.

I really don't understand why Nintendo always uses their own format rather than embracing the standard format.

@ thread

Boy o Boy, what do we have here:

100 Billion Yen or Satoru Iwata Resigns from Nintendo

Iwata Implies He May Resign Over Poor Business Performance

Satoru Iwata implies he may resign if operating income target for next FY is not met

Nintendo is in real dire straits. No offence to Mr. Iwata but things would have been much better if he would have taken a different approach with the console.
Instead he decided to look like a complete goofed up wannabe like:

*i.imgur.com/Fbct4of.jpg

He needs to stay away from those two clowns if the company has any hopes left.

Last edited:

darkv0id

Journeyman
^ If that news comes to be true, it's going to be a sad day. Not only for Nintendo, but for the gaming industry in general. Iwata is one of the best CEOs around, not only in the the gaming industry but overall as well. I don't have a Nintendo console... but I've got to say, nothing but respect for the man.

However, the headline is somewhat taken out of context .If you read the original NeoGAF post; it seems to me he is taking a failure-is-not-an-option approach, that he is determined to tide them over the present crisis. Poor journalism.

heidi2521

Padawan
Wii U has a propeitary disc format which can hold up to 25GB

That is only if it uses single layer discs. DL discs can easily hold 50GB. Not that any games using them exist yet though.

^ If that news comes to be true, it's going to be a sad day. Not only for Nintendo, but for the gaming industry in general. Iwata is one of the best CEOs around, not only in the the gaming industry but overall as well. I don't have a Nintendo console... but I've got to say, nothing but respect for the man.

However, the headline is somewhat taken out of context .If you read the original NeoGAF post; it seems to me he is taking a failure-is-not-an-option approach, that he is determined to tide them over the present crisis. Poor journalism.

He claimed that he has a personal commitment to reaching a 100bn yen goal and may resign if the company performs poorly. With the announced 3DS lineup the company performing poorly is basically out of the question.

These sales are from Japan:

*imgur.com/vnFE9CY.gif

ACNL shows no sign of slowing down and isn't even out in the west yet. You have Luigi's Mansion 2 which debuted at the end of Q4 and is still selling well, surpassing all expectations and is set to become an unexpected million seller. Last week we had the release of Tomodachi Collection which lit up the Japanese charts quite well.

Due to lowered manufacturing costs and a weaker yen the 3DS is being sold at a profit now. With all the titles announced in the last Nintendo Direct it looks like the 3DS will have quite a good year ahead.

All this is ignoring the elephant in the room known as Pokemon X/Y

If the January Nintendo Direct is any true then it is unlikely that the Wii U will lose any money this year. This is not taking in account Iwata's statement that they have more unannounced games coming at E3.

Now add licensing fees from 3rd party titles like MH4, YW & SMT4.

Although no walk in the park, from what we know 100bn yen is quite achievable.

P.S.: The SMT series may be right up your alley.

Activision Blizzard Management Discusses Q1 2013 Results - Earnings Call Transcript - Seeking Alpha

Michael J. Olson - Piper Jaffray Companies, Research Division

So you mentioned that your focus is doing a few things exceptionally well, and as we enter the next cycle, depending on how you would define major franchises, you'll have 4 or so major franchises that generate the majority of your profits. What are your expectations for what that number will be during the middle innings of the next cycle? And then if I can kind of sneak in other one, the Wii has historically been relatively important for -- platform for Skylanders. Is there potential for Skylanders to face some headwinds versus last year, due to the weakness of Wii U?

Dennis Durkin - Chief Financial Officer

I guess I can take this. We aren't going to give specific guidance on new launches outside of the ones that we've talked about in our overall disclosure and what's in the investment portfolio inside Activision Publishing and inside of Blizzard. So I think -- but when you look -- so we do concentrate on a few things and making sure those scale and that's driven the margin structure that we have inside the business, which is really, really great. But I would say, when we look at new investments, we aren't looking to do new investments unless they provide the kind of -- same kind of scale and investment return that we have in our existing businesses. So I think, even as you look to next-generation, we'll still be very focused in terms of the investments we're making regarding new franchises. Eric, why don't you take the second one relative to the Skylanders and the Wii platform?

Eric Hirshberg - Chief Executive Officer of Activision Publishing, Inc

The main thing to look at is first -- we've been receiving similar questions about the weakness of the Wii since the beginning of the Skylanders franchise. And Skylanders has done great both before the Wii U and has done great after the Wii U. Obviously, a growing installed base of family friendly consoles would be a benefit. And console prices and sales are one of the risks and one of the issues that we articulated for the fourth quarter. That said, we've done well despite weaknesses for both the Wii and the Wii U and seeing the Wii U take off would be great, but remains to be seen.

Right in the diversity.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
^sales in japan does not quite explain the situation in india, does it??

nintendo is fighting a war which it has already lost... atleast in india..

how many indian guys you know play mario on Wii??

and if you even a smaller picture, the avg indian gamer is all about AAA titles. just look at the answers to "what will you use this PC for" on PC Config thread.. none of the answers say Mario. :p

That is only if it uses single layer discs. DL discs can easily hold 50GB. Not that any games using them exist yet though.

you sure are ill informed.
MGS4: full dual layer 50GB.. remember the easter egg?? :D
Killzone 3: full dual layer
Uncharted 3: Dual layer.

btw, wasnt it you who told that Uncharted series is $hit??

heidi2521

Padawan

and if you even a smaller picture, the avg indian gamer is all about AAA titles. just look at the answers to "what will you use this PC for" on PC Config thread.. none of the answers say Mario. :p

My post was simply pointing out that as a company Nintendo is unlikely to underperform and the 100bn goal is achievable. I'm not sure where India comes into the picture at all.

I give exactly zero $hits about the indian gaming scene. Most of the games I play aren't even released here(even if you exclude Nintendo releases). Even if they are they do not have much of a following in this country.

Nintendo is fighting no war over in India. They don't even exist here anymore.

And to me it appears that you are the misinformed one since exactly zero of the titles you listed are there on the Wii U.

And yeah I do happen to think that the gameplay of the Uncharted series is horrible, right from the terrible cameras, forced QTEs, terrible gunplay to mediocre platforming(made horrible by aforementioned cameras). Then there are the game specific problems like forced sixaxis in Drake's Fortune(FWIW i think that the forced waggle in DKCR was pretty horrible too) and the aiming system in Drake's Deception. Lets not even go into Golden Abyss.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
My post was simply pointing out that as a company Nintendo is unlikely to underperform and the 100bn goal is achievable. I'm not sure where India comes into the picture at all.

I give exactly zero $hits about the indian gaming scene. Most of the games I play aren't even released here(even if you exclude Nintendo releases). Even if they are they do not have much of a following in this country.

Nintendo is fighting no war over in India. They don't even exist here anymore.

And to me it appears that you are the misinformed one since exactly zero of the titles you listed are there on the Wii U. <- i am just saying that there are games which fill out the dual layer blu-ray

And yeah I do happen to think that the gameplay of the Uncharted series is horrible, right from the terrible cameras, forced QTEs, terrible gunplay to mediocre platforming(made horrible by aforementioned cameras). Then there are the game specific problems like forced sixaxis in Drake's Fortune(FWIW i think that the forced waggle in DKCR was pretty horrible too) and the aiming system in Drake's Deception. Lets not even go into Golden Abyss. <- you mean to say each of the ratings awarded by the well known review sites are biased

answered

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Nintendo actually is nothing but a big fish in a small pond i.e japan. If they have any hopes to survive, globalization is the only way.
Trends are changing and kiddish anime, manga games ( so called jrpg genre) are not ideal global franchises. There aren't much fan/user base away from japan for such titles.
Nintendo's constrained approach in game development is going southwards day by day too.

If they rely that much on FP, then doing away from the usual color pallete themed titles should prove to be a sensible decision. They should develop games with theme, developers like naughty dog and sony santamonica or even quantic dream takes. That would ensure their products being appreciated in a global scale and not only japan.

But i doubt nintendo will own this strategy and thus are doomed.

@anirbandd

Mate, no point in arguing with an otaku. People like this reside in a different dimension altogether.
You can't expect a person to give you valid and unbiased comments on a AAA ( almost movie like) cinematic gameplay found in the uncharted series, when he/she is still playing games like pokemon and the likes. Just give the comments a pass. There are lot other topics to discuss.:)

The Engadget Interview: Cliff Bleszinski on next-gen gaming, Oculus Rift and the always-on console

Last edited:

heidi2521

Padawan

Well, I was pointing out that the DL Wii U discs have 50GB of space but no games that use it exist. You then claimed that I am ill informed after which you listed titles that don't even exist on the Wii U.

You made no indication that you were talking about games using DL blu-ray discs while replying to a post that claimed that there were no games using DL Wii U discs leading me to presume that they were examples of games using Wii U discs since there was nothing related to blu-ray at all in the post.

Yup. If GTA IV gets 98/100 and yearly COD rehashes get scores in the 80s/90s there is nothing trustworthy about them. And game journalism/reviewing is hardly the paragon of integrity.

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar

All the games listed by you are bloated PS3 Exclusives :lol:

heidi2521

Padawan
Sony bid to revive electronics to hinge on smartphones. Playstation sales predicted to contract at double digit rates.

It predicted sales of its digital cameras and Playstation consoles would contract at double-digit rates.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
SCEE's Senior manager: an AMAZING big title coming to Vita

Sony’s PlayStation 4 Marketing Slogan Is "Greatness Awaits"

What Japanese Gamers Have to Say About The Cheaper PS Vita

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
Well, I was pointing out that the DL Wii U discs have 50GB of space but no games that use it exist. You then claimed that I am ill informed after which you listed titles that don't even exist on the Wii U.

You made no indication that you were talking about games using DL blu-ray discs while replying to a post that claimed that there were no games using DL Wii U discs leading me to presume that they were examples of games using Wii U discs since there was nothing related to blu-ray at all in the post.

Yup. If GTA IV gets 98/100 and yearly COD rehashes get scores in the 80s/90s there is nothing trustworthy about them. And game journalism/reviewing is hardly the paragon of integrity.

lol.. all that Wii has are Mario, Pokemon, Spongebob, Naruto, Rayman and a bunch of fitness workouts and such. how can those even fill 50GB :D ?

GTA deserves the 98/100 considering the story, replayability and the sheer monstrosity of the game... and i didnt even mention the fun factor.

COD is sheer FPS delight, though the graphics lacks a lot.

and did i mention Red Dead Redemption??

And what about PS3's Journey, the current GOTY??

You say game journalism/reviewing is hardly the paragon of integrity.. you seem to know what you are doing [:lol:] maybe you should tell us where each of the games that you mentioned as $hit lacks in..

All the games listed by you are bloated PS3 Exclusives :lol:

bloated??

you mean to say they were not successful, and Sony paid the reviewers to give them good ratings??

check the sales records before talking.

MGS4 is said to be the the Most Technically Perfect game in the History of gaming. Pure japanese perfection.

btw, have you even played on the PS3??

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
lol.. all that Wii has are Mario, Pokemon, Spongebob, Naruto, Rayman and a bunch of fitness workouts and such. how can those even fill 50GB :D ?

GTA deserves the 98/100 considering the story, replayability and the sheer monstrosity of the game... and i didnt even mention the fun factor.

COD is sheer FPS delight, though the graphics lacks a lot.

and did i mention Red Dead Redemption??

And what about PS3's Journey, the current GOTY??

You say game journalism/reviewing is hardly the paragon of integrity.. you seem to know what you are doing [:lol:] maybe you should tell us where each of the games that you mentioned as $hit lacks in..

bloated??

you mean to say they were not successful, and Sony paid the reviewers to give them good ratings??

check the sales records before talking.

MGS4 is said to be the the Most Technically Perfect game in the History of gaming. Pure japanese perfection.

btw, have you even played on the PS3??

Chill Hulk
Ok breathe for a few mins.Then read the spoiler box
Returned to Bruce Banner form?Good.Now read pls
When i say bloated i mean the size of the games.Even PC games don't constitute 45-50GB
maybe CELL-Optimized coding takes up a lot of space or something.Those games are very bloated,normal games are not that big and Aforementioned games are not native FHD 1080P so you can't say "HD textures" or something.Next time when comparing size of physical media of different consoles,please mention Multi-Platform games, and not Sony-Exclusives

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Sony, Microsoft going 'heavily' on free-to-play next-gen, says Epic VP Rein

These heavyweights are going in the right direction unlike the moron i.e Nintendo.

Watch Dogs: how the Xbox 360 and next gen Xbox versions differ

There will be graphical differences but core game play will remain the same. This is some relief to the wii-u as its gonna perform just like ps3/xbox360.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom