New mild gaming Rig dilemma

borax12

the dotmaster
^^
IMO HD5850 is a wise option in a long run. I chose HD4670 for budget constraint(At that time HD4850 was around 7k and 4670 was 4.7k). But now my 4670 struggles with few games and the number will increase from few to all. I dont want you to do the same mistake.

Why we buy a good CPU? For a long run, so why dont we get a good GPU for the same reason.

But the choice is yours.

About Phenom vs Athlon, google it dude...

Phenom vs. Athlon Core Scaling Compared : How Well Does Phenom Scale With Clock Speed?

Athlon II Or Phenom II: Does Your CPU Need L3 Cache? : L3 Cache: How Important Is It To AMD?

The Differences Between Athlon II and Phenom II Explained

...hey thats actually quite informative....but if you read carefully ....that though the lack of l3 cache helps reduce power consumption but the actual....thing is.....this processor has all thing to get the best performance on value for money spectrum....but when the thing is set up for an overclocking scenario...it fails....how high can u ever increase the base clock bus speed.....this thing fails on air colling solutions(when oveclocking) so no headroom for tweaking the frequency....but the phenom 2 be are still my favs and i downright like them for giving vfm in comparison to intel and achieving just so much more and making the performance levels increase triple folds(only when the cpu is overclocked)

but still this is sure a must buy for those considering the best buy at such price.....

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
@borax12

i preferred Phenom previously thinking that OP is a gamer. But now he is not a hardcore gamer and i want the system to future-proof in case of GPU, so suggesting HD5850+Athlon II X4, so that he can change the proccy to Phenom II X6 once the price drops. :D

pulsar_swift

Youngling
guys see his monitor, its resolution is 1360x 768. a HD5670 will be more than enough to drive his mild gaming. HD5770 will be good if upgrades his monitor in the future.

So OP a HD5770 is more than enough for you. No point in wasting money on a GTX460 or HD5850.

borax12

the dotmaster
yeah told you that.....even gamers can vouch for this proccy...yeah....actually....this would be best choice

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
@borax12
Hell, yeah.... :D :D

@pulsar_swift
HD5770 can able to handle games @ 22" monitor? I have read somewhere in this forum, that a guy can't able to max out some new game with 5770.

As i said before, its OP's choice. He can choose between 5770/5850/GTX460.

borax12

the dotmaster
....gtx 460 1 gb....(hell yeah ....if he can afford that)....or els ...a r5770 msi hawk was able to handle a 22" easily (with no aa/af )...but...i guess the screen res matters ...1600 x 1024 is fine ...and will be handled by the 5770 fine...(this card ...specially the one thats been factory overclocked is excellent...supports dx 11 eyefinity...and everything else.....and has the best vfm....)so this is also a good choice ...but if u can somehow get hands on the gtx 460 1 gig then thats the best option.....overclock it too 800 mhz and voila u get performance equivalent to the ati 5850 and in lower screen res ...even close to the 5870

pulsar_swift

Youngling
@borax12
Hell, yeah.... :D :D

@pulsar_swift
HD5770 can able to handle games @ 22" monitor? I have read somewhere in this forum, that a guy can't able to max out some new game with 5770.

As i said before, its OP's choice. He can choose between 5770/5850/GTX460.

To start OP has 17" monitor. He has to purchase a 22" monitor to think about high end cards. HD 5770 will work fine with a 22" monitor. It will struggle at FULL HD resolutions. OP is not a enthusiast gamer to play at FULL HD

rajan1311

Padawan
To start OP has 17" monitor. He has to purchase a 22" monitor to think about high end cards. HD 5770 will work fine with a 22" monitor. It will struggle at FULL HD resolutions. OP is not a enthusiast gamer to play at FULL HD

The OP did say he might upgrade his monitor in the near future, else a 5670 is sufficient for that res in most games :)

I feel spending Rs2k extra for the GTX 460 is better than getting a 5770.

borax12

the dotmaster
The OP did say he might upgrade his monitor in the near future, else a 5670 is sufficient for that res in most games :)

I feel spending Rs2k extra for the GTX 460 is better than getting a 5770.

+1

I am damn sure that 2k will make a big difference.

already said...that........
the gtx 460 is the best choice.....the kind of performance and the 'best' cooling solution(the 400 lines have new refurnished design ...in this gtx 460 .....though the changes are minor but it does help)...so believe me.....thinking of a gpu solution that is future ready..(u know what i mean ....overclock it baby!!!)...gtx 460 is grilling cooool!!!

....actually you are right.....the OP is not an avid gamer...so the extra amount is unnecessary....and yeah 22" 1600X1200 is fine....aint it....and yes r5770 hawk....is also PERFORMER i say!!!so i agree with you

OP
L

ljlijash

Broken In
^^
IMO HD5850 is a wise option in a long run. I chose HD4670 for budget constraint(At that time HD4850 was around 7k and 4670 was 4.7k). But now my 4670 struggles with few games and the number will increase from few to all. I dont want you to do the same mistake.

Why we buy a good CPU? For a long run, so why dont we get a good GPU for the same reason.

But the choice is yours.

About Phenom vs Athlon, google it dude...

Phenom vs. Athlon Core Scaling Compared : How Well Does Phenom Scale With Clock Speed?

Athlon II Or Phenom II: Does Your CPU Need L3 Cache? : L3 Cache: How Important Is It To AMD?

The Differences Between Athlon II and Phenom II Explained

woah !! dat was really really useful... What I infer from these is that L3 cache is good but useful for those who need tht xtra bit of juice from their systems. For users like me I thnk the Athlon will suffice rt ? LAter on I can switch to even the X6 !!!

Ok, now the GPU - 5770 vs 5850 vs GTX 460 !!!:-x:-x:?::?:.... My heart says 5850, mind says 5770 ...lets see the price diff btwn thm...

5850 - 16.5 k
5770 - 9.5 k - Dats almost a whopping 7k btwn dem !!!

Whats teh confirmed price of gtx 460 guyz ?

Last edited:

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
@ rajkumar
the phenom 925 you suggested is a waste of money...athlon II 635 performs close to 955be....

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 PM ----------

gtx460 is good enough for you....

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
@ljlijash

Lets sum up your total w/o GFX card.

If your budget still permits you, go for HD5850. Or else go for HD5770. If you can able to stretch a bit from 5770, get a GTX460 then.

Now, its upto you

OP
L

ljlijash

Broken In
Change it as :

Proccy : Athlon II X4 635 @ 5k
Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-785GMT-USB3 5700
RAM : 4GB(2*2) G. Skill F3-10600CL9S-2GBNT DDRIII 5200
HDD : 1 TB Seagate 7200.12 3300
GPU : GTX 460 1GB @ 14k / HD 5850 1GB @ 15k
ODD : L.G. GH22NS50 OEM SATA DVD-Writer 950
Speakers : Altec Lansing 2.1 VS2621 1650
PSU : Corsair VX550W @ 4.5k (Dont change this.)
KB,Mouse,UPS

Total - around 41k(No time to calculate, sum it up)

This looks awesome mate ... i mean WOW !!! all that for 45 k I gues... will have to squeeze in some more :) .... So the only thng i am gonna chnage in ths spec will be the GPU and tht depends on my bench strength I guess :).. Will kepp u fellas updated ...

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^

Just 5k above your budget and try to change the mobo to Biostar @ 3.5k and get 5850.

Let us know what you decided

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^

Yes, since you told me you're not to extend ur budget, i recommend you to go for Biostar @ 3.5k (which means 2.2k left for you) and all you need to do is just add 2.8k and get 5850.

Or else, simply add 5k to your budget and get 5850.

Regarding the features, you won't miss much, as we dont use most of the features. :D Jokes apart, yup you miss few of them, but thats compromising when u look at 5850.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
+1

I am damn sure that 2k will make a big difference.

2k makes a big difference & its worth it. but a 16k HD5850 currently is a no brainer decision. you spending appx 4k more (over a GTX460 768Mb) to get a little extra fast card. what nonsense !!!

already said...that........
the gtx 460 is the best choice.....the kind of performance and the 'best' cooling solution(the 400 lines have new refurnished design ...in this gtx 460 .....though the changes are minor but it does help)...so believe me.....thinking of a gpu solution that is future ready..(u know what i mean ....overclock it baby!!!)...gtx 460 is grilling cooool!!!

absolutely true. now i think theres 3 section in graphics space.

below 10k = AMD
below 15k & above 10k = Nvidia
above 15k = AMD

these offer best performance. but i'll still say GTX460 better than HD5850. not in performance but in price:performance ratio its simply unbeatable.

Ok, now the GPU - 5770 vs 5850 vs GTX 460 !!!:-x:-x:?::?:.... My heart says 5850, mind says 5770 ...lets see the price diff btwn thm...

5850 - 16.5 k
5770 - 9.5 k - Dats almost a whopping 7k btwn dem !!!

Whats teh confirmed price of gtx 460 guyz ?

don't listen to your heart or mind. listen to the majority here. GTX460 right choice.

^^

Yes, since you told me you're not to extend ur budget, i recommend you to go for Biostar @ 3.5k (which means 2.2k left for you) and all you need to do is just add 2.8k and get 5850.

Or else, simply add 5k to your budget and get 5850.

Regarding the features, you won't miss much, as we dont use most of the features. :D Jokes apart, yup you miss few of them, but thats compromising when u look at 5850.

3.5k biostar is not good. minimum is Biostar TA785G3 HD. its a good alternative to 785GMT-US2H.

and about HD5850, at 16.5k, its worst choice currently (until AMD makes a price cut).

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^ AFAIK GTX460 has some heating issues and 768MB isn't a good performer.

Thats why i prefer HD5850 and regd price HD5850 avail @ 15.6k itself.

Also GTX460 1GB also comes around 14.5k.

Anyway its OP's choice. Or else he has to wait until ATI drop the prices. :D

borax12

the dotmaster
^^ AFAIK GTX460 has some heating issues and 768MB isn't a good performer.

Thats why i prefer HD5850 and regd price HD5850 avail @ 15.6k itself.

Also GTX460 1GB also comes around 14.5k.

Anyway its OP's choice. Or else he has to wait until ATI drop the prices. :D

no way bro....even zotac's gtx 460(the company that uses lame cooling soultion in their gpus...)has a very good cooling solution.....or in a way...a very good set of heatsink fans and i guess 6 way heatpipes design......also ....ati dropping prices is not visible....not until the next 2 months at least.....and i believe wait for some companies to crop up their gtx 460 offerings in the next few weeks...and then probably we will have a decent gtx 460 1 gb in a good price range*(prob 12 K)....so its better to go for the gtx 460...but one thing to note here...is please if .....its like....u are really !!!! realy very short or tight on ur budget.....go for the biostar mobo....but in any other case ....atleast an 880gx chipset(i believe its that only).....from a reputed brand(like the msi 880gx gd 65 i guess) would be advisable....as u are surely not getting any future requirement features from the biostar board....u will definitely need the usb 3.0 and sata 3 in very near future...so please don't compromise on that....and waiting for any intel offering on the same chipset aspect.. ...(that natively supports usb 3.0 natively is very far.....)it will probably take a few months more to see sandy bridge near.....so go for the msi 880gx please...and
i want to summarise you this for u....
1.go for msi 880gx..
2.buy an 5770(msi hawk)if you are like very rigid on the budget allocation for the gpu...or else if u could like stretch it to probably 12-13K....then wait for the gtx 1gb offerings form other brands

Top Bottom