Musicians Corner V1: Cover Band Edition

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Even I think so. Sometimes I do it too lightly. It's pretty hard to get the balance right. Professional players get it right all the time.

Also, you need the correct amount of gain for it to be effective.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
It's not about pedal boards. Many good players like Guthrie Govan use cheap pedals too.

The trick is in the skill.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
...and skill comes from practice. If you watched that John Petrucci video that I posted (Rock Discipline), in that video Petrucci teaches several tough and mind numbing exercises. However, many later guitarists cite that video as a inspiration to become great.

So that's what you need to do. Hours upon hours of mind numbing exercises.

Edit: Video for reference: *www.digit.in/forum/lifestyle/12831...ver-band-edition-post2196518.html#post2196518

bikramjitkar

In the zone
Yeah, practice is the really tough part. Whenever I sit down to practice, I do it for a few minutes and then start noodling around aimlessly. Learning songs is fun, but practice needs real dedication. :(

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
Yeah. It's called Squealing informally.
I can do it re. Only not consciously.

When I am demonstrating it to someone, it won't work. When I play a song that has it, then it works.

Its the opposite for me. I can get it right when I am just playing that, but during solos I miss it. I never can never get it in the Comfortably numb solo.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I used to play pinch harmonics on Lamb Of God - Laid To Rest.

Haven't covered Psychosocial yet but I can play Duality.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
...and skill comes from practice. If you watched that John Petrucci video that I posted (Rock Discipline), in that video Petrucci teaches several tough and mind numbing exercises. However, many later guitarists cite that video as a inspiration to become great.

So that's what you need to do. Hours upon hours of mind numbing exercises.

Edit: Video for reference: *www.digit.in/forum/lifestyle/12831...ver-band-edition-post2196518.html#post2196518

I am doing that finger stretch.

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
You mean start of the second solo right?

Yes. It starts off with a pinch harmonic on the 7th fret.

Evanescence - "Haunted" has an awesome solo with about 5 of those squealies. The solo is isn't that hard to play but getting those pinch harmonics right is challenging.

Last edited:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
To be honest, tone is a matter of taste or personal preference. You can use whatever works for you.

Dimebag Darrel [strike]is[/strike] was a damn good guitarist. But I personally think his tone is ****.

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
To be honest, tone is a matter of taste or personal preference. You can use whatever works for you.

Dimebag Darrel [strike]is[/strike] was a damn good guitarist. But I personally think his tone is ****.
..the riff from walk is fkn sick yet simple..He tunes strings 10 cents below._,,slight trebley sound

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
He actually scoops mids.

He turns mids all the way down while turning the highs and lows up. The arrangement looks like a trough on the EQ.

Such an arrangement will give a somewhat sharp attack. But the problem is that the guitar is a mid range instrument and scooping the mids means that the highs that you play will get mixed with the snare drums and cymbals and the lows will get mixed with the bass guitar and the kick drums. Playing live with such a tone would suck.

- - - Updated - - -

But then again, Dimebag probably knew how to work with scooped mids.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
[MENTION=5007]DeSmOnD dAvId[/MENTION]

You and Me by Lifehouse, finally able to do that second chord progression
*soundcloud.com/psygeist-1/you-and-me-lifehouse

A little distorted sound. Need to keep cell away and keep volume less.

bikramjitkar

In the zone
Trying to learn the rhythm guitar parts of Tornado Of Souls by Megadeth, probably the "easiest" on Rust In Peace. I think I'm gonna need some of those drugs that Mustaine was on at that time #mindbogglingcrazyshit.

Top Bottom