Musicians Corner V1: Cover Band Edition

iittopper

Wise Old Owl
Broke D string . Should i replace only this or all of them ? Which string should i get ?

Also really need to buy an amp , Learning songs is getting boring as i am not able to differentiate much between E and A chord sound . Cant find good deal on beta aivin / Laney LX 12 , how is marshall MG10 ?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Broke D string . Should i replace only this or all of them ? Which string should i get ?

Also really need to buy an amp , Learning songs is getting boring as i am not able to differentiate much between E and A chord sound . Cant find good deal on beta aivin / Laney LX 12 , how is marshall MG10 ?

Marshall MG10 is also a good practice amp. [strike] [MENTION=1]Raaabo[/MENTION] has it I think.[/strike] [MENTION=1]Raaabo[/MENTION] has a Marshall MG 15 CD.

You will need ear practice to be able to differentiate chords based only on sound. Some chords have really subtle differences and not many people are able to tell them apart by sound alone.

On the electric guitar, you could change the only string that broke but try to ensure that it is of the same set that you have currently. Since it takes time for the tuning to set in, if you change all the strings you won't be able to play for about 1 week because the tuning will keep changing as the new strings stretch. You will have to keep tuning it everyday till the tuning settles. If you only replace the broken string, then you can at least play on the other unbroken strings till the new string gets set.

Also, beware about replacing the strings with higher or lower gauge strings since that is guaranteed to spoil the intonation. Once that happens, your guitar will never be in tune, even if you use a tuning machine.

I would suggest that if this is your first time, replace all the strings but remember what gauge you are putting on so that next time you break a string, you will know which gauge set you have and replace accordingly.

iittopper

Wise Old Owl
Marshall MG10 is also a good practice amp. [strike] [MENTION=1]Raaabo[/MENTION] has it I think.[/strike] [MENTION=1]Raaabo[/MENTION] has a Marshall MG 15 CD.

You will need ear practice to be able to differentiate chords based only on sound. Some chords have really subtle differences and not many people are able to tell them apart by sound alone.

On the electric guitar, you could change the only string that broke but try to ensure that it is of the same set that you have currently. Since it takes time for the tuning to set in, if you change all the strings you won't be able to play for about 1 week because the tuning will keep changing as the new strings stretch. You will have to keep tuning it everyday till the tuning settles. If you only replace the broken string, then you can at least play on the other unbroken strings till the new string gets set.

Also, beware about replacing the strings with higher or lower gauge strings since that is guaranteed to spoil the intonation. Once that happens, your guitar will never be in tune, even if you use a tuning machine.

I would suggest that if this is your first time, replace all the strings but remember what gauge you are putting on so that next time you break a string, you will know which gauge set you have and replace accordingly.

thankyou . I already replaced all the string with D'addario EXL 120 . There was buzzing sound in low E string for 2 days but its gone now . Without amp its very hard to differentiate the chord sound ( atleast for me) . Buying Amp this week hopefully .

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
thankyou . I already replaced all the string with D'addario EXL 120 . There was buzzing sound in low E string for 2 days but its gone now . Without amp its very hard to differentiate the chord sound ( atleast for me) . Buying Amp this week hopefully .

Good choice. I used to have those strings too on my first guitar. Very good for soloing.

Try to see if anyone is selling their amps second hand in your city. You could get a better amp for cheaper.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I am much better now at chords strumming and switching. In fact, I can play and sing too to some extent now.

But picking up strings individually is slow for me and error prone. How do I get better at it ? I know guitar solos are based on picking strings.

Gollum

Collector
I dont know if its me but the new d'addario strings are super bright on my Epiphone lpsp2
Is it supposed to be like that?
these are 9-42 and earlier were 10-46 pre installed

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I dont know if its me but the new d'addario strings are super bright on my Epiphone lpsp2

Let it settle down. But yeah they will be relatively bright.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin

Why the hell would you replace a 10-46 with 9-42?

Also, it will take about a week for the tuning to set in. New strings sound weird anyway.

iittopper

Wise Old Owl
So I am at stage 4 at justin guitar tutorial . He taught 7th Dominant chord - c7 , B7 and G7 . Are they important to master and are used in songs frequently ?

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
So I am at stage 4 at justin guitar tutorial . He taught 7th Dominant chord - c7 , B7 and G7 . Are they important to master and are used in songs frequently ?

Not the barre variants ? You can skip these. Get to the barre chords once you are comfortable with standard open chords.

If you are comfortable with open chords shifting then try a song with the chords you have learned.

iittopper

Wise Old Owl
Not the barre variants ? You can skip these. Get to the barre chords once you are comfortable with standard open chords.

If you are comfortable with open chords shifting then try a song with the chords you have learned.

yup I am done with all the basic 8 chords . Can switch between them easily . Have already learned 3-5 songs ( three little bird , chasing cars easy version , Mad world etc) . Also when is the good time to start learning power chords ?

Just few months more to play Green days song , cant wait :D

- - - Updated - - -

So how many guitar players are there on TDF now,5?

:hyper:

I am just a newbie :D , though desmond , faun , gollum , nanducop , bikramjitkar are probably the only one here who play guitar regularly .

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
yup I am done with all the basic 8 chords . Can switch between them easily . Have already learned 3-5 songs ( three little bird , chasing cars easy version , Mad world etc) . Also when is the good time to start learning power chords ?

Just few months more to play Green days song , cant wait :D

That's cool. I remember learning chasing cars and mad world too :) There are two versions of mad world (gary jules). One with chords and another with fingerstyle.

Power chords are easy. You can start anytime. Next milestone for you will be barre chords.

iittopper

Wise Old Owl
That's cool. I remember learning chasing cars and mad world too :) There are two versions of mad world (gary jules). One with chords and another with fingerstyle.

Power chords are easy. You can start anytime. Next milestone for you will be barre chords.

yeah i learned gary jules chord version with simple D-DU-U-D strumming , it feels so good to play it :D . Also learned "how to save a life" by Fray . Just started learning barre chords . Let see how it goes .

Top Bottom