Musicians Corner V1: Cover Band Edition

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Guys..which acoustic strings (brand) u r using?
I've got D'addario Strings..hope they are good.

D'addario Light gauge is what I like most. I tried Gibson super light gauge once but didn't like it much, found it harder to pick.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Guys, need some advice.

I'd like to know how MotherJane's guitarist makes those Veena (I think) like sounds. I suspect that he uses a Synth engine or a Harmonic Octave Generator alongwith an Octaver but I am not sure. I've searched everywhere, but I am unable to get any info about what gear or patches they use. Can anyone here who has some exp help out?

Check this video for reference :

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
I think he(Baiju Dharmajan) uses slide guitar(bottleneck)File:Fingandslide.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia because thats how it sounds like(not sure)(listen to jeff beck-nadia intro) and he likes carnatic music .Also according to wiki his gear is-
'Epiphone prophecy,Gibson STUDIO,Yamaha Compass series Acoustic guitar,epiphone sst classic 2.0, DIGITECH GSP1101 and ART SGX 2000 PRE AMP. Dharmajan used a Ibanez RG320 to record Insane Biography and Maktub'

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I think he(Baiju Dharmajan) uses slide guitar(bottleneck)File:Fingandslide.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia because thats how it sounds like(not sure)(listen to jeff beck-nadia intro) and he likes carnatic music .Also according to wiki his gear is-
'Epiphone prophecy,Gibson STUDIO,Yamaha Compass series Acoustic guitar,epiphone sst classic 2.0, DIGITECH GSP1101 and ART SGX 2000 PRE AMP. Dharmajan used a Ibanez RG320 to record Insane Biography and Maktub'

I am sure its not slide. I've seen their live videos. But, let me see what the Digitech GSP is all about.

Edit : Yeah...its a multi-effects processor. But, it costs a bomb. Any way to get the same cheaper?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Guy's need some info on the parts of song.

Solo,Chorus,VERSE ????
also Licks vs Riffs

The solo is where any one instrument takes the centerstage. For ex, a guitar solo, where the vocalist may or may not sing backing.
Chorus is a part of the song where multiple vocalists sing together, therefore giving a chorus effect.
Verse is a sentence in lyrics.

Lick and riffs are harder to define since they are sometimes used interchangeably. The way I see it, a lick is a non repetitive pattern played during random intervals of the song, while the riff may or may not be repetitive but is usually used in context with rhythm than lead.

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
no :(
i wish to learn it. need to know about teachers. and where can it be learnt.
no idea mate,its a strange instrument,IMO,if youre interested in wind instruments,check out mouth organ/harmonica/harp..Easy and plenty of online tutors,just my suggestion.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
yes, i agree its a strange instrument. i couldn't find much info online too (tutoring lessons). nevertheless, i hope i would be able to find someone to teach here. there used to be aired some show on MTV sometime back where bands & musicians used to perform for auditioning. i didn't use to see the show, but just while browsing through once my eyes fell on a young lone chap who was a bagpipe-performer. thence i felt there may be dearth of such people, but certainly they are not non-existent. i fancy learning quite some of them, like santoor, chinese flute, harmonica, drums, etc., too much to wish for, but want to start off with the bagpipe :)

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
matlab ??
what are their definitions

The solo is where any one instrument takes the centerstage. For ex, a guitar solo, where the vocalist may or may not sing backing.
Chorus is a part of the song where multiple vocalists sing together, therefore giving a chorus effect.
Verse is a sentence in lyrics.

Lick and riffs are harder to define since they are sometimes used interchangeably. The way I see it, a lick is a non repetitive pattern played during random intervals of the song, while the riff may or may not be repetitive but is usually used in context with rhythm than lead.

Thanx for info

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
yes, i agree its a strange instrument. i couldn't find much info online too (tutoring lessons). nevertheless, i hope i would be able to find someone to teach here. there used to be aired some show on MTV sometime back where bands & musicians used to perform for auditioning. i didn't use to see the show, but just while browsing through once my eyes fell on a young lone chap who was a bagpipe-performer. thence i felt there may be dearth of such people, but certainly they are not non-existent. i fancy learning quite some of them, like santoor, chinese flute, harmonica, drums, etc., too much to wish for, but want to start off with the bagpipe :)

Have you tried Youtube?

BTW, here is a resource : Buy How To Play The Bagpipe Online | Best Woodwind in India | Furtados Online

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Have you tried Youtube?

BTW, here is a resource : Buy How To Play The Bagpipe Online | Best Woodwind in India | Furtados Online

nice find! thanks a lot! :)
no, i haven't searched youtube yet (moreover, i don't have the instrument), but certainly i think youtube will have lots of videos on the subject.

Top Bottom