Musicians Corner V1: Cover Band Edition

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
I use this lesson,dont have arpeggios,but some scales.Learning Music Theory. The Beginning | Lessons @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
^yes and which strings?

is there any 0th fret?

basically we need to know the fretboard to be able to play arpeggio

The 0th Fret is the open fret...duh! And I was talking about the high E string, sorry I forgot to mention.

You need to know scales and chord formulas to be able to play arpeggios . Knowing major chord formula 1-3-5 and minor chord formula 1-3b-5 is more than enough to get you started.

Isnt it root(1) major(3) perfect(5) for major scale?just refered some music theory lesson..

Yes

@Desmond

Some links where we could learn arpeggio's and scales would be nice.

Pretty please with sugar,spice and everything nice on top.

This link below is good, though too detailed :

I use this lesson,dont have arpeggios,but some scales.Learning Music Theory. The Beginning | Lessons @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

You don't really need music theory to get you started with scales/arpeggios, though it would help if you knew. That is a good article if you want to know in depth.

Otherwise, this is a more concise lesson : Scales For Absolute Beginners | Lessons @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

BTW, I learned my music theory from a book called "Complete idiots guide to music theory" by Michael Miller.

Last edited:

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Isnt it root(1) major(3) perfect(5) for major scale?just refered some music theory lesson..

Thats a formula and every chord type is contructed using the formula...
they are easy to understand but when applying them in playing Arpeggios u have to clearly understand the base
like u must have seen musicians playing "Do-re-mi-fa-so-la-ti-do" that is what Arpeggios are played over :cool:

You need to know scales and chord formulas to be able to play arpeggios . Knowing major chord formula 1-3-5 and minor chord formula 1-3b-5 is more than enough to get you started.
I know the formulas for chords...

let me explain (correct me if I m wrong): consider C major chord (C,E,G)..if I play the 3 notes in Frets (wherever they lie on fretboard) that means I m playing an Arpeggios of C,E,G..
will the sharps and flats included in that (like C#,E#,G#)?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
they are easy to understand but when applying them in playing Arpeggios u have to clearly understand the base
like u must have seen musicians playing "Do-re-mi-fa-so-la-ti-do" that is what Arpeggios are played over :cool:

let me explain (correct me if I m wrong): consider C major chord (C,E,G)..if I play the 3 notes in Frets (wherever they lie on fretboard) that means I m playing an Arpeggios of C,E,G..

If you include sharps, it will become C# major arpeggio.

An arpeggio is not just limited to one octave, you can take it as many octaves higher as you please.

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl

thanks.but when we play a c chord (X-3-2-0-1-0) where c=3 fret of A string,e=2 fret of D string and g=open G. so thats CE&G=C Chord(traid?),so why the bottom two strings are involved?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
thanks.but when we play a c chord (X-3-2-0-1-0) where c=3 fret of A string,e=2 fret of D string and g=open G. so thats CE&G=C Chord(traid?),so why the bottom two strings are involved?

Because the bottom two notes are C and E, also part of the C major chord. If you observe any chord, you will notice that all the notes used are one of the root, third and perfect intervals of the major scale for that same note.

It is not compulsory to play them, but you can make a complex strum pattern on the same chord using the upper and lower parts of the chord.

Trying to decipher the notation of "Englisher Tanz in A" on the keyboard. Toughering .

Please start by telling us what this is.

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Thanks Desmond,sometimes its very confusing,guess i need a tutor,i have wasted weeks wondering what circle of fifths were..lol..after studying some basics,i got it right...

Trying to decipher the notation of "Englisher Tanz in A" on the keyboard. Toughering .

Must be a song,like minuet in C.

abhidev

Human Spambot
maan....my digital tuner has stopped working...tried a tutorial on youtube to tune the guitar by ear...but somehow I am not able to get the 2nd string in tune at all:-? ....is it due to the stress on the strings coz the guitar was tuned and unused for more than a week?? :|

abhidev

Human Spambot
i donwloaded the gstrings app for android....but somehow if I tune it according to it...the guitar doesn't sound right(i mean not all the strings)

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
maan....my digital tuner has stopped working...tried a tutorial on youtube to tune the guitar by ear...but somehow I am not able to get the 2nd string in tune at all:-? ....is it due to the stress on the strings coz the guitar was tuned and unused for more than a week?? :|

u can also use other tuners such as ultimate guitar tab has an app for iOS and android
I use Cleartune in iOS its excellent

abhidev

Human Spambot
Try the 5th fret method.
yea that is the method I saw in the tutorial....but somehow only the 2nd string doesn't sound right....should I change the string or wat???

You have to fine tune it 3 times or your strings are too old.

fine tune 3 times...i didn't get u ??? The strings are not old...I mean before I had replaced only the 2nd string twice as I broke it during tuning.... :/

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Tune as usual.Then fine tune it 2 times(to match to the std tuning-ie make small adjustments to be exact(more accurate).
If you still cant get it in tune,detune it completely and strech it with your hand,then tune once again.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin

It will take sometime for the tuning to set in. You will have to keep checking tuning over a couple of days. Until then, your guitar will keep getting detuned. DO NOT tune it immediately, you might end up breaking the strings. You can loosen the strings and try again though.

To tune by ear, you need a reference tone for atleast one of the strings, preferably the low E string. Once you get that note correct, then place your hand on the 5th fret of the E string and play both the E and the A strings. You should hear beats. The faster they are, the more the A string is out of tune. Adjust the A string until the beats become slower and slower till you reach resonance, this is when the A string is completely tuned. Repeat the same for all strings except the B string, for which you need to fret the 4th fret of the G string.

You might not get it the first time, you will have to listen very carefully and feel the vibrations to understand what I am talking about.

If you want to use an app, Datuner for Android is the best tuner app out there. But relying on your tuner to tune all strings is useless if your guitar's intonation is off. Use it only to tune one string and tune rest by ears.

Which one is this ?

*i.imgur.com/wNOIE.jpg

Try the 5th fret method.

Is that Les Paul Gothic Morte?

Top Bottom