Musicians Corner V1: Cover Band Edition

OP
Raaabo

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
Why don't you guys attach an mp3 of yourselves playing, or a youtube video if you're not shy. Would love to see the talent in the community :)

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
[YOUTUBE]AMCRhPPT4b8[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]T9xIeKWUunE[/YOUTUBE]

Practice those chords thoroughly.

N00b Query: When doing the practice exercise stuff (fret 1, then 2, then 3, then 4 on string E, then A etc.etc.), fingertips should be right on top of the fret (the vertical metal piece). But while practising chords, fingertips need to be in the space between the two frets?? Some guys on youtube do the former, others the latter! Highly confused!! Which one's correct? Better? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Edit: Is this the right place for guitar-playing queries? Or there is separate thread for that?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
N00b Query: When doing the practice exercise stuff (fret 1, then 2, then 3, then 4 on string E, then A etc.etc.), fingertips should be right on top of the fret (the vertical metal piece). But while practising chords, fingertips need to be in the space between the two frets?? Some guys on youtube do the former, others the latter! Highly confused!! Which one's correct? Better? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Edit: Is this the right place for guitar-playing queries? Or there is separate thread for that?

It doesn't matter where you place your fingers as long as they are to the left of the frets. Try not to place it exactly on the fret, since you might mute the string altogether.

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
It doesn't matter where you place your fingers as long as they are to the left of the frets. Try not to place it exactly on the fret, since you might mute the string altogether.

As close to the fret line.

Thanks. Two more n00b queries:

1. While playing any string other than the Es, the middle and ring fingers invariably touch the string below the one they are playing therefore distorting it...Is this normal for n00b player or is his guitar-playing doomed forever due to his fat fingers?
2. While trying the practice exercise as in Desmond's 2nd video (1-2-3-4 fingers on 1-6 strings), the little finger just wont place right on the 4th fret after the other three are placed on the first three frets! This on a 3/4 neck guitar!!! Any tips/tricks/exercise to help with this? Maybe someone can post a very close pic of how exactly their left hands look (finger and wrist position) while fretting a large acoustic neck??

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
1)Try to use your finger tips when fretting.slowly it gets well.
2)needs practice,strength.

Aah! Thank God (and you)!

Yes, trying to fret as slowly as possible and with fingertips only. Is it normal for the index finger to hurt more than the others or does that signify something is going wrong while practising? Noticed index finger is grooved far more than the others! Pinky is barely grooved!

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
^it happens when you play at first,dont worry slowly calluses will form and will be much easier afterwards:)

and heres something you should see about left hand positioning..

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
^it happens when you play at first,dont worry slowly calluses will form and will be much easier afterwards:)

and heres something you should see about left hand positioning..

Seen and Ctrl+D-ed! :) Thanks. I was asking if I am overusing the index finger or perhaps underusing the others coz at the end of the day, the others don't hurt as much as the index.
Shouldn't all four fingers hurt the same?

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
That may be because - not all your fingers have to apply the same amount of force to perfectly fret a note,like the index finger is already strong,so you dont have to the apply the same force as other fingers.This is no 'big deal',just practice daily.
Another reason-If you practice for a long time,continuously it may crack the soft skin.So practice in sessions with rest in between.

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
That may be because - not all your fingers have to apply the same amount of force to perfectly fret a note,like the index finger is already strong,so you dont have to the apply the same force as other fingers.This is no 'big deal',just practice daily.
Another reason-If you practice for a long time,continuously it may crack the soft skin.So practice in sessions with rest in between.

Thanks. To be honest with you, I am hardly able to play even for 2 minutes at a stretch at all. :(

I am currently trying the Em and E chords. My index finger starts to feel painful right from the start..say, I fret one measure of Em or E and have to stop for a minute before I can fret again.
I fret a second time and have to stop again for a minute as the "groove" on the index smooths out..

Is this normal for a beginner? Or should I just ignore the pain/groove and keep fretting for 10 minutes flat?

----------------

I got some more nooby queries for you:

a. Should one first learn to fret all the chords of the A/D/G/C family and then work on progressions? Or should we start progressions the moment we are confident with two/three chords?

b. At some websites, (like justinguitar) I see that they say we should learn to fret with other fingers as well, meaning to say, instead of using the usual 2,3 for Em, we should also know how to play Em with say 3,4 or 1,2!!
My question is, does it matter at all, which fingers we use for a chord, or can we use any finger combo of our liking and convenience to fret a chord, as long as the notes come out clear?

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
you can play as long as you wish,if you can bear the pain,nothing wrong with playing 10 minutes or one hour straight.

a)At first you wont be able to do chord progressions quickly,so try to fret the chords at first and once in a while try to do chord progressions.
b)you can use whatever finger you like,but

more alternate finger positions=much easier/better/economical chord progression

for example if you play an E minor using fingers 3,4 [instead of 1,2 0r 2,3] and the next chord after E minor is an F major,then you dont have to lift your fingers,you just have to slide the fingers 3,4 on to the 3rd fret[string A & D] to make an F major plus other fingers.In the same scenario,if the next chord after E minor is a G major, then the more economical fingering for E minor will be 1,2,since you dont have to lift the finger 1 to do a transformation to chord G major.[hope you understood:p]

I dont know how long youre playing,but if youre just starting out its better to learn a fixed fingering for a specific chord and after some time when you learn most of the chords,you can just start doing alternate fingerings,though there is nothing wrong in trying now:)

To be honest with you, I am hardly able to play even for 2 minutes at a stretch at all. :(

Thats too bad:p

Top Bottom