Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
Watched "Enemy" starring Jake Gyllenhall, although it is sheer brilliance (up till the ending scene of course),
But haven't yet made my mind about the interpretation of the ending
verdict 8/10 from my side,
must watch if you like psychological thriller and have patience to figure about the interpretation of the end

I frantically searched for many explanation on imdb forums after seeing this, but i was not fully convinced by any of them. Its better to appreciate it as a very good piece of filmmaking and leave it at that. Some movies are not meant to provide closure. Doesn't take one bit of brilliance away from the movie though.

Given all that, my favorite thrillers will always include movies that give you closure and explain most of the things in the end cuz when the revelation hits u, you are like numb from the excitement and the movie stays with you forever as a result of that. Hence movies like Uninvited guest, sleep tight, hidden face, the secret in their eyes, sixth sense are at the top of my thrillers list.

sdk

Broken In
I frantically searched for many explanation on imdb forums after seeing this, but i was not fully convinced by any of them. Its better to appreciate it as a very good piece of filmmaking and leave it at that. Some movies are not meant to provide closure. Doesn't take one bit of brilliance away from the movie though.

Couldn't agree more,
every explanation has its own flaws, but this
is as close as it gets imo

"Prisoners" starring Gyllenhall and Hugh Jackman is what I am planning to watch next

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
Couldn't agree more,
every explanation has its own flaws, but this
is as close as it gets imo

"Prisoners" starring Gyllenhall and Hugh Jackman is what I am planning to watch next

That made a lot of sense. Although i have forgotten so many little details that i have to rewatch to tally with the explanation :p. BTW another comment in that thread also provided a reasonable explanation.

"it's obviously about arachnid aliens creating clones to take over the world" ;)

rajatGod512

N00B Troller
Watched Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014) 8.5/10 , It was different from what I expected , but still overall a pretty solid movie , plot was nice , Acting was superb both from human cast (Jason Clarke , Gary Oldman , Keri Russell) and the motion capture actors (Andy Serkis, Toby Kebbell) , CGI was used awesomely , and I should point out that the cinematography was also quite good . All in all a good 2 hour movie , a thinking man's "blockbuster" , but more than opening the mind , open your heart to this movie and wait for the next epic movie to come .

P.S. Give an oscar to Andy Serkis already . Captivating performance as Caeser and KOBA was awesome .

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
^^ This and

Appleseed Alpha - 7.5/10 Nothing compared to Exmachina but yeah a fresh start , good animation and story, platform for continuation and its Appleseed :D

R2K

In the Zone
Recently I'm hooked to found footage films genre.

Watched Paranormal activity 1. - I have no idea what was all the hype about this movie. Other than the last scene NOTHING in last 1.5 hrs were even remotely scary. There was only 4 characters in the movie and all of them suck at acting. If the actress wasn't that attractive, I would have completely lost interest in the movie after like 30 min.:wink:

Also watched REC and Grave encounters.
Both movies become scary as fu*k. after 30 min. Definitely a must watch for horror movie fans

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
Recently I'm hooked to found footage films genre.

Watched Paranormal activity 1. - I have no idea what was all the hype about this movie. Other than the last scene NOTHING in last 1.5 hrs were even remotely scary. There was only 4 characters in the movie and all of them suck at acting. If the actress wasn't that attractive, I would have completely lost interest in the movie after like 30 min.:wink:

Also watched REC and Grave encounters.
Both movies become scary as fu*k. after 30 min. Definitely a must watch for horror movie fans

Each to their own, I didn't find Grave encounters scary at all on the other hand I liked & found Paranormal Activity scary on the first viewing.

If you liked REC, try Quarantine.

kaelthas

Broken In
After losing my brain cells by watching Transformers: Age of Extinction (wtf is this title?!) I was sceptical about Dawn of the Planet of the Apes but it was an awesome movie. Much better than the first. Rating 8.5/10

R2K

In the Zone
Each to their own, I didn't find Grave encounters scary at all on the other hand I liked & found Paranormal Activity scary on the first viewing.

If you liked REC, try Quarantine.

What was exactly scary in Paranormal activity other than the last scene? All they did was getting scared sh1tless with random noise coming from house. The movie definitely didn't deserve the hype it produced.

While in Grave encounters everyone on the team was just messing around for 30 min with nothing going on and then it turned into a nightmare for all the characters. Can't imagine what I would have done if trapped in such a situation.

BTW IMDb desc for quarantine looks exactly the plot of REC. Will definitely try to watch it though

Last edited:

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
Dawn of the planet of the apes - 7/10. While the special effects and theatricals were all nice, the movie succumbed to a very generic plot. Maybe i was expecting more after seeing the first movie.

This video review nails what i think. The movie is riddled with cliches. Warning : Spoilers in the link

*www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1543fs6ucA&list=UUSc16oMxxlcJSb9SXkjwMjA

Last edited:

ithehappy

Human Spambot
The Raid: Watched it because wanted to watch the second part. Loved it. 7.5/10

The Raid 2: Best of luck finding a better / more enjoyable action movie than this. 8/10

Just wish these were in English.

R2K

In the Zone
The Raid: Watched it because wanted to watch the second part. Loved it. 7.5/10

The Raid 2: Best of luck finding a better / more enjoyable action movie than this. 8/10

Just wish these were in English.

I think Raid 2 came dubbed in English also this time because Raid 1 became popular all around the globe

axelzdly1

mR.coNfusEd
20 Upcoming Movies That Are Going To Suck

What do you think?

If Penguins of madagascar sucks, Minion movie will too. Watching them for a really long time on the screen, its not what they're intended to initially.So, both of them will suck until unless a miracle happens like an amazing plot. :clyde:

Paranormal activity, even a first timer who sees posters will say 'Oh, come on! another sequel ? ' Being a low budget genre doesnt mean they can fire the sequels like a girl using a gun in Counterstrike for the first time.
Too much of anything is injurious to health. :hippo:

Dumber and Dumber to (2?) will survive if it is dumb dumber dumbest. Anything low, it will

Deep Tiki ? from the director of We bought a zoo? WBZ- I thought everyone loved it(bcoz I did), but its reverse. Do you hate that movie too?

everything else, I need not say anything more.

Top Bottom