Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Swamp Thing - Avoid it!

Joy Ride: Dead Ahead - A sequel to the original Joy Ride. Pretty good I would say. Although the gore could have been bumped up and the ending could have been better.

The House on Sorority Row - Average 80's slasher flick.

10 Items or Less - Quite refreshing movie and pretty different from the others. Didn't really have a strong plot, but character bonding between Morgan Freeman and Paz Vega was really good.

Private Resort -Laughed my ass off. This was one hilarious 80's comedy flick. Must watch for sure.

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
Oldboy :- 8.5/10

What a movie! Everything from the stellar acting to the superb directing to the twisted storyline is amazing! What a wicked movie and definitely one of the weirdest I have seen!

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Oldboy :- 8.5/10

What a movie! Everything from the stellar acting to the superb directing to the twisted storyline is amazing! What a wicked movie and definitely one of the weirdest I have seen!

Yes, it is.

If possible check out other two movies of this trilogy.
Sympathy for lady vengeance
Sympathy for Mr. vengeance

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
@rhitwick and sam9s :- Thanks a lot! 'obtaining' them :D. I have more than 30 movies pending to be watched but will surely watch these first!

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^get ur school to sign up battle royale and hav fun :p
I just love that watchtower in battle royale.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Raavan 7/10

Just coming from Raavan night show. Taking in account rainy, friday late night show, the theater was pretty full.

Warning: My review may contain spoilers and is going to be compared with Kim Ki Duk's "Bad Guy".

So, after Mahavarat we get Ramayan. Are there any epics left? No, right, thats a breather.

~~~~ Spoiler ~~~~
Taking a backdrop of Naxal activity the story unfolds slowly. Veera (Abhishek) is the leader, people are confused if he's Raavan or Robin Hood and Dev (Vikram) wants to put this confusion to an end. In this tussle Dev's wife gets kidnapped and sets out for searching her. In the journey meets with Sanjeevani (Govinda) who helps him with jungle roads. Eventually Veera and Dev meets and story ends (well, a few of here can predict what happens then)
~~~~ Spoiler End~~~~

Story: Maniratnam got a readymade script as he's following Ramayana. He just molded it into present time-line still loopholes are present but they are covered by some good acting.

Cinematography: Awesome. This is the only reason you should watch it in theater. Aish is not my fav. but still she looks beautiful in some angles.

Editing: A few time not so tidy. One totally unnecessary scene was kept (Aish's monologue). Which just adds no value, long enough to bore you. It actually reminded me Twinkle Khanna's monologues in Mela :razz:

Songs: A.R. Rehman's latest miracle is missing from this movie, i.e. the song "Ranjha Ranjha", only one stanza is given to us. I was so sad, I loved this song very much. Its hip, deep, funny and tells so much about feelings. A few songs are misplaced. I'm noticing since Guru Maniratnam's movies are having unnecessary songs and songs in WTF situations. Songs just didnot suite this movie.

Acting:-
Abhishek had so so much acting scope that he could have taken this movie to a new level on its own but he fails to deliver till that level. He tried his best (or may be not) but just got out of control in a few scenes. Rest are alright. His portraying of Veera was very well done. But if could replace that "Jhik Jhik Jhik" thing along with a shaky head with a mystery laugh or smile. His character is so much similar with "Han Ki" in "Bad Guy", the make up, hair style, even the suppressed voice (both of them had different reasons though :razz: )

Aish just hams whenever she opens her mouth. Does good with with eyes, again this movie should have been a one with only body language, eye movement and long silent shots.

Vikram, has no scope for acting. Only one scene he got show emotion that was when he found the village when Aish was kept hostage. He enters the room Aish was bound, found ropes, food etc and breaks down seeing them. Here a few moments showing his emotions would be a good thing but Maniratnam puts a song :-x

Govinda just sucks.

Only another actor is a real find of this movie is Ravi Kishen. He is just awesome in his brief role. Really appreciate his efforts.

Verdict, a predictable movie with occassional good to gr8 acting. But a very dark and violent approach. This kind of movies are not for everyone and has every chance of being a flop.
Still appreciate Maniratnam for trying something new. I would have preferred to bring the violent parts a bit more which would have made some gr8 impact on audience mind. Making Veera involving in a brutal act so you hate him very much and then again making him love and suffer for Aish so much that you feel pity for him and love him. That would have been playing with audience mind which is just given a miss. Still try this, you may not be that disappointed.

episodes

Right off the assembly line
Guys, forget about movies. You need to watch PRISON BREAK. It's a TV series. Believe me, it's one of the best stories I have seen. Everyone got to watch it.

Yes, You are right. I am also crazy about tv shows like 'Monk Episodes', 'Seinfeld TV Show' and 'Veronica Mars Episodes'. Enjoy these episodes with full of entertainment!

Thanks & Regards

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Normally I do not bring hindi movies in this thread unless its like outstanding or utter crap, this one was utter crap.......... 3.5/10 at the max ....

Come on man, u say utter crap and still rate 3.5 that is as same as mine (7). Don't dare to rate it below? :lol:

Watch HEROS and you will say Prison Break was just OK ....... its that good.

And seriously HEROES was full of crap. First season was OK, second season was bad, third season could not tolerate more than first two episodes. Its full of things I hate, i.e. family drama.

IP Man 2 8/10

Donnie Yen never dis-satisfies me. Another awesome action movie from him, some gr8 action moves, and good piece of acting too. But this time the acting part was avoided and action was brought more.
In the first part his character was given full scope of showing different sides but this time only action.
Still a gem of a movie. Must watch for sure.

Stephen king movies ?? do watch the mist, trucks, riding the bullet, secret window.downloaded a 50gb Stephen king movie pack from torrent and saw 2-3 movies..yet a big list to go..

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Heroes season1 was good, no questions asked. It was my first US TV series and it falls in my genre of movies. Sci-fi, magic, superpowers etc. But the more I was watching it, started finding usual mega-soap elements.
>Introducing one new character in every episode
>Family secrets
>Extra marital affairs
>Troubled daughter
>Helpless mom
>few villains

and what not. Just for one moment forget the super-power thing from all characters and see what is left.
ONly one thing that kept me coming back to it was "HIRO NAKAMURA", loved the character very much.

And u did take a very good decision of not watching rest of the seasons, because they suck. Just imagine Sylar doing good deeds and Peter doing bad. Its like all villains turned good and all heroes turned bad.

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
Battle Royale :- 7/10

Wicked movie. The whole concept of pitting students against each other in a deadly game is evil in itself. Stellar movie! Thanks Sam9s!

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
At last finished House MD. Its like I gulped it. All six seasons (avg. 140 episodes in less than one month :-D )

House is a complete package to anyone who loves mystery, tongue-in-cheek comedy, witty one liners and lots of brain, emotion, drama etc.

Yes, yes I got, it has most of the characteristics of any mega-soap but I bet no such serial is there which keeps u glued to it like this.

If I rate,
Season 1 9/10 (Special Three stories and last episode)
Season 2 9.3/10 (Euphoria)
Season 3 8.8/10 (House vs. police thing)
Season 4 9.5/10 (Till episode 22 its like 8/10, then last two episodes took the prize, they are just awesome)
Season 5 9.5/10 (Old House back but twists at the end)
Season 6 8/10 (Things seemed disoriented, no proper storyline followed, last two episodes are gr8 but doesn't compensate the stale taste of the whole session. Still once a House fan, always a House fan)

And I just can't but shout the name Hugh Laurie, he's the life line of this show, he's even the one and only reason one should this series. Take a bow Hugh, u deserve it.

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
Wolf Creek .... Man man man what an ultimate thriller ride......people who are interested in Survival thrillers, much like Dead Calm and Cape Fear DO NOT miss this one, specially as this one is based on True events.....I was on the edge of my seat through out. One of the best survial thrillers I have seen.......7/10

++1..thanks sam for reco..just saw it...good movie...must watch ! based on true events ! :p

---------- Post added at 11:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

Battle Royale :- 7/10

Wicked movie. The whole concept of pitting students against each other in a deadly game is evil in itself. Stellar movie! Thanks Sam9s!

so the kiddie is back ..where you have been boy ??? exams ? or busy in making ur own black metal band :cool:

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
++1..thanks sam for reco..just saw it...good movie...must watch ! based on true events ! :p

---------- Post added at 11:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

so the kiddie is back ..where you have been boy ??? exams ? or busy in making ur own black metal band :cool:

Exams don't bother me at all... I was here... wasn't posting... started posting again :D

dreams

Gracias Senor
any body watched raavanan or raavan??

Think the hindi version is a bomb at the BO and hit in the tamil version.

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!
THE HOST 9.5/ 10 : One of the best Monster films I have ever seen. Probably my favorite Second Korean movie after Oldboy!

Top Bottom