Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
How is the movie Underworld Rise of the Lycans? Does it have good special effects?
It's a prequel to the Underworld series & doesn't include Kate Beckinsale. If you haven't watched the previous parts then you could start off with this. If I had to rate it, then it would be the best among the entire series. It actually shows the roots of how the war between Vampires & Lycans actually sparked off.

ajayritik

Technomancer
It's a prequel to the Underworld series & doesn't include Kate Beckinsale. If you haven't watched the previous parts then you could start off with this. If I had to rate it, then it would be the best among the entire series. It actually shows the roots of how the war between Vampires & Lycans actually sparked off.
Thanks for the info. Can you give little bit of more info like a synopsis. Would this fall under Action or Thriller Genre? How about the special effects in it? Any objectionable scenes as such which are not recommended for family viewing.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Action.
Quite good special effects.
First part is clean.
2nd part is not so clean.

But, I didn't find the story too attractive.

U make movie with Werewolves. You make movies with vampires. Then you start to think, now what?? Then u came up with the idea, how about put a fight between both of them.
Same concept is adapted by Alien vs. Predator series.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Thanks for the info. Can you give little bit of more info like a synopsis. Would this fall under Action or Thriller Genre? How about the special effects in it? Any objectionable scenes as such which are not recommended for family viewing.
If I'd begin to give a synopsis, it would reveal pretty much the entire plot of the movie. The movie centre's around Lucian, one of the very first breed of the Lycans (a human who could transform into werewolf at will & retain his original human form back), is used by Viktor (the ruthless Vampire leader), to kill others of his kind who revolted against the vampires. Lucian is pretty much a slave to Viktor. Viktor wants other Lycans to be his slaves as well & protect the Vampires during day time. During all this drama, Viktor's daughter Sonja apparently falls in love with Lucian. Dad finds out later on, kills his own daughter...yada yada yada. Then comes the point of Lucian's wrath, freeing his fellow Lycans from Viktor's slavery & revolting against him, thus claiming their freedom.

So it's pretty much a mix of everything. Action, fantasy, romance, horror etc. The only objectionable scene I can recollect, is a rather small make out session between Lucian & Sonja. Nothing very hardcore but nothing to watch with family either. You can skip it as it's very brief. That's about it.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Awarapan 7/10

One and only Imraan Hasmi movie I liked. I don't know why but I liked this movie. O.K, let me search the reason. Kuch to hai... :rolleyes:

The Wicker Man(2006) 7/10

This version is rated very low in IMDB (3.5) but I ended up watching 2006 version only. And I liked it.
Let me check out the original one (1973)

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Awarapan 7/10

One and only Imraan Hasmi movie I liked. I don't know why but I liked this movie. O.K, let me search the reason. Kuch to hai... :rolleyes:
The reason being this was his only no non-sense role unlike his previous garbage. Not to mention the songs were fantastic. Story was decent enough but well acted. He ought to take up more serious roles & focus on his career a bit seriously. After this movie, I thought he had some potential. The role of a Hitman is always challenging to play. This is where John Abraham excelled in Karam & Emraan played it elegantly in Aawarapan.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
+1 to letters from Iwo Jima, The Wicker Man, and Dark City.
Those who liked the Matrix should watch Dark City. Some of the sets are the same. The climax was a little over the top, but I wouldn't call it too dark.
Strange Days... great watch. Good for techies.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
The reason being this was his only no non-sense role unlike his previous garbage. Not to mention the songs were fantastic. Story was decent enough but well acted. He ought to take up more serious roles & focus on his career a bit seriously. After this movie, I thought he had some potential. The role of a Hitman is always challenging to play. This is where John Abraham excelled in Karam & Emraan played it elegantly in Aawarapan.
Agreed. This is only movie in his career which proves he can act.
Story has nothing new but the treatment and crisp editing gave it a pleasant watch.

My friends recommended me it a long ago, but I didn't only because it had Imraan Hasmi.

ajayritik

Technomancer
Agreed. This is only movie in his career which proves he can act.
Story has nothing new but the treatment and crisp editing gave it a pleasant watch.

My friends recommended me it a long ago, but I didn't only because it had Imraan Hasmi.
Unfortunately that movie didn't work and Emraan Hashmi is back to his garbage stuff. Atleast in some movies. Too be honest I thought this movie would be more successful than the other releases Apne and Aap Ka Surror. Considering Awarapan had good music as well. I guess audience don't want to see him in those kind of roles.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
I guess audience don't want to see him in those kind of roles.
U can't blame audience for that.
He had done so many sh1t movies that people has stopped watching his movies (ok, not all but at least me). And if there are people who just took oath like me that "won't c any movie having Imran Hasmi", to ho gaya.
Like him I used to hate Kareena Kapoor and Amisha Patel movies.

I just stopped watching, reading reviews of their movies.
In that way I was going to miss "Jab we met", and now its my favorite.

So, its not US, its them who made us not watching their movies.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Unfortunately that movie didn't work and Emraan Hashmi is back to his garbage stuff. Atleast in some movies. Too be honest I thought this movie would be more successful than the other releases Apne and Aap Ka Surror. Considering Awarapan had good music as well. I guess audience don't want to see him in those kind of roles.
His serial kisser reputation precedes him. So no matter what movie he does, majority of the audience expects him to get it on with the actress. It's like a niche that he has carved for himself. Awarapan was a good break for Emraan from his stereotypical image.

Back to topic:
XIII - The conspiracy - 7/10. Not exactly a movie but a decent enough TV mini-series.

Top Bottom