Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
As per the subtitle I have of "The Prestige" the statement "Are you watching closely" is said 4 times. The movie begins with it and is said 3 more times during the course of the movie. And I couldn't get what you mean by "it does not make less sense when you do watch it closely". What things you notice that you don't if you don't watch it closely?

quan chi

mortal kombat
is there any other movie like "The Prestige"? if yes then please tell me.

There is "The Illusionist". This movie will keep you interested till the end mainly due to the beautiful performances by the cast especially edward norton.
But don't expect it to be as good as the prestige because as per me the climax of that movie is not proper. You might be able to guess the climax easily. Because of the stupid climax it couldn't achieve what the later achieved.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Yep didn't count, but 4 times is still repeated. It shows up frequently enough in the movie, to seem repeated.
like you come across odd bits of obscure trivia - Tesla apparently liked to wear white gloves. If you check to see if they showed that in the movie, yes they did!
you have to pay attention to scenes.. like the bowler hats shows that the machine actually works for real and is not some kind of trick, or just a teleporter. Then Fallon's make up... it's a pleasure just looking at it. Then the interactions between Borden, his assistant and his wife makes another layer of sense when you already know the story - and then it becomes kind of fun to imagine what they meant without you knowing the story. The whole movie is peppered with clues and hints that you can only understand over multiple viewings. Another fun aspect is picking out which twin is doing what throughout the course of the movie, and not just "a twin" - they have unique characteristics. Didn't even get the ending the first time around.

rajatGod512

N00B Troller
the trailer looks like Avengers 1 plus Iron Man 3 (with bad robotic suites ) very disappointed with trailer,

Ultron is one the best Marvel Villain .

Before Avengers was released People were saying avengers 1 was Iron man with friends i.e. Iron Man 3 .

to the Bold part : Ughhh

Last edited:

TheFallenLord

Journeyman
the trailer looks like Avengers 1 plus Iron Man 3 (with bad robotic suites ) very disappointed with trailer,
Are you referring to the Hulkbuster armor? I think it was pretty cool. Didn't pay attention to any other armor though. Will have to re-watch it.

Anyway, I'm not super-excited for this movie as I was for the first Avengers because I don't trust Joss Whedon anymore. He ruined the first one IMO with cheesy dialogues (He's adopted, WTF), badly designed (laughable) costumes/outfits/suits (Cap's outfit got me ROFL), bad cinematography (looked like a TV show) and whatnot. I just hope this one is better.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Never watched a war based movie on hall.

If you didn't watch "Day after Tomorrow" released recently in theater, you missed a lot! :p
[MENTION=56202]Anorion[/MENTION]: I guess another watch of "The Prestige" is warranted.

Tenida

Gadget Freak
If you didn't watch "Day after Tomorrow" released recently in theater, you missed a lot! :p
[MENTION=56202]Anorion[/MENTION]: I guess another watch of "The Prestige" is warranted.

I said war based like WWI and WWII (Stalag 17, Lone Survivor etc etc)

ashs1

Padawan
Happy new year : 4/10
Full timepass masala movie.. If you're planning to watch it, better leave your brains at home because its that bad.
Totally void of logic and plenty of loopholes.
Strictly one timeout watch..sonu sood, vivaan shah were not that good.. Boman Irani was wasted.. Surprisingly, it was Abhishek Bachchan who managed to stand out from the rest.

Tenida

Gadget Freak
Add The Hurt Locker and Saving Private Ryan

I saw these till date ;)

We were Soldier
All quiet on the western front
The Dirty Dozen
Stripes: A comedy movie based on war. Really funny.
To End all wars
Days of Glory
Stalingrad
Paths of Glory(1957)
Where Eagles Dare (1968) -
The Great Escape-
Stalag 17
Hunger
Saving Private Ryan
Bridge on the River Kwai
Paths of Glory
Schindler's List
Defiance
Pianist
Empire Of The Sun
Where Eagles Dare
Downfall

and these too
1) Apocalypse Now (1979) : During the U.S.-Viet Nam War, Captain Willard is sent on a dangerous mission into Cambodia to assassinate a renegade colonel who has set himself up as a god among a local tribe.

2) The train (1964)
" In 1944, a German colonel loads a train with French art treasures to send to Germany. The Resistance must stop it without damaging the cargo. (133 mins.)

3) The Counterfeiters (2007): The Counterfeiters is the true story of the largest counterfeiting operation in history, set up by the Nazis in 1936

4) The Guns of Navarone (1961) : A British team is sent to cross occupied Greek territory and destroy the massive German gun emplacement that commands a key sea channel.

5) This Land Is Mine (1941) : A mild-mannered schoolteacher in a Nazi occupied town during WWII finds himself being torn between collaboration and resistance.

6) Destination Tokyo (1943): In order to provide information for the first air raid over Tokyo, a U.S. submarine sneaks into Tokyo Bay and places a spy team ashore

7) Operation Petticoat (1959): World War 2 comedy about a submarine commander who finds himself stuck with a decrepit (and pink) sub, a con-man executive officer and a group of army nurses

8) A Bridge Too Far (1977): A historic telling of the failed attempt to capture several bridges to Germany in World War II in a campaign called Operation Market-Garden.

9) The Longest Day (1962): The events of D-Day, told on a grand scale from both the Allied and German points of view.

10) Three Kings (1999): In the aftermath of the Persian Gulf War, 4 soldiers set out to steal gold that was stolen from Kuwait, but they discover people who desperately need their help

11) Judgment at Nuremberg (1961) : In 1948, an American court in occupied Germany tries four Nazi judges for war crimes

12) Letters from Iwo Jima (2006): The story of the battle of Iwo Jima between the United States and Imperial Japan during World War II, as told from the perspective of the Japanese who fought it.

13) Battle of Britain (1969): In 1940, the British Royal Air Force fights a desperate battle vs. the Nazi Germany Air Force for control of British air space to prevent a Nazi invasion of Britain

14) Tora! Tora! Tora! (1970) A dramatization of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor and the series of American blunders that allowed it to happen. mins.)

15) Patton (1970) : The World War II phase of the controversial American general's career is depicted.

16) Battle of the Bulge (1965): In the winter of 1944, the Allied Armies stand ready to invade Germany at the coming of a New Year. To prevent this occurrence..

17) Von Ryan's Express (1965): An American POW leads a group mainly British prisoners to escape from the Germans in WWII.

18) Platoon (1986) : A young recruit in Vietnam faces a moral crisis when confronted with the horrors of war and the duality of man. (120 mins.)

19) Valkyrie (2008): Based on actual events, a plot to assassinate Hitler is unfurled during the height of WWII. (121 mins.)

20) Black Hawk Down (2001) : 123 elite U.S. soldiers drop into Somalia to capture two top lieutenants of a renegade warlord and find themselves in a desperate battle with a large force of heavily-armed Somalis

21) The Hurt Locker (2008) Forced to play a dangerous game of cat-and-mouse in the chaos of war, an elite Army bomb squad unit must come together in a city where everyone is a potential enemy and every object could be a deadly bomb

22) Inglorious *******s (2009) : In Nazi-occupied France during World War II, a plan to assassinate Nazi leaders by a group of Jewish U.S. soldiers coincides with a theatre owner's vengeful plans for the same

and many more :D

harry10

Gadgets freak
J. Edgar (2011) - IMDb Ratings: 6.6/10
137 min - Biography | Crime | Drama - 11 November 2011 (USA)

Wolf Creek (2005) - IMDb Ratings: 6.3/10
99 min - Horror | Thriller - 25 December 2005 (USA)

Buddy just a suggestion.
When you mention a movie put the point sweat you liked and what not. If we want only ratings then that can be taken from IMDb. D point of the thread is to give a general idea how the movie is. Cheers.

quan chi

mortal kombat
The ghost writer
A bit confusing but nevertheless a good film. I don't know if all polanski films ends like this coz I saw 3 of his films and all have a bit of say unpleasant endings.

ajayritik

Technomancer
Haider
After a long time finally saw movie which didn't have any masala elements. First half was good,Second half didn't like it that much.
Good acting from Shahid and Tabu.

I know starting plot of a movie .... but don't know name (I hope you guys help me, remember)

At starting of movie..
There was a girl living with his mother .... never met her dad..
Then she try to find out her dad, It turn out his dad is the assassins or something.
She went at his dad office, to work as receptionist( she didn't told him yet)
Then she came back way home, saw her ex standing at the gate....In order to avoid him, she climb up wall and enter her home from first floor window.

Later, another day, she went back to her job...where her dad caught her and interrogate her, where she revels her identity....
Then they went to golf court to assassinate somebody using mechanical bee (controlled by remote)...but everything get screwed up....
Then She shoot poison sting to person (supposed to be killed) by hand....only and impress everybody

^^ This is only starting of movie, I couldn't watch further due power cut ....
I hope you guys know movie name
Anybody :|??

rajatGod512

N00B Troller
Are you referring to the Hulkbuster armor? I think it was pretty cool. Didn't pay attention to any other armor though. Will have to re-watch it.

Anyway, I'm not super-excited for this movie as I was for the first Avengers because I don't trust Joss Whedon anymore. He ruined the first one IMO with cheesy dialogues (He's adopted, WTF), badly designed (laughable) costumes/outfits/suits (Cap's outfit got me ROFL), bad cinematography (looked like a TV show) and whatnot. I just hope this one is better.

Its my Favorite Superhero movie (The Avengers) !

Top Bottom