Man of Steel (movie) - 2013

heidi2521

Padawan
watched all 3 official trailers & frankly speaking it simply doesn't meet my expectations.the 300/dark knight look is more suitable for a character like Batman which has much more depth compared to the all classic symbol of justice "Superman".in this regard the classic 1st & 2nd superman movies starring Christopher Reeve are better.for a superman reboot i was expecting a modern day upgrade of original Superman movie instead i get a deja vu feeling of introspecting bruce wayne sporting beard/spending time in prison/rough teen years in Batman begins.

Produced by Chris Nolan and directed by Zack Snyder. What did you expect?

OP
cyborg47

cyborg47

Technomancer
watched all 3 official trailers & frankly speaking it simply doesn't meet my expectations.the 300/dark knight look is more suitable for a character like Batman which has much more depth compared to the all classic symbol of justice "Superman".in this regard the classic 1st & 2nd superman movies starring Christopher Reeve are better.for a superman reboot i was expecting a modern day upgrade of original Superman movie instead i get a deja vu feeling of introspecting bruce wayne sporting beard/spending time in prison/rough teen years in Batman begins.

I understand where you're coming from, but how exactly are they better? As much as I like Reeve's movies, they kinda screwed superman's personality. He's the reason people think superman has to be a smiling B-itch all the time. You see a teenage clark, a loner who's troubled with himself, can't mingle with people. Then he visits fortress of solitude, talks to his dad, and tada! he becomes the most perfect man in the world!? are you kidding me? what is it, like magic? It may have worked at that time, but I'm sure a smiling B-itch super hero concept won't work in this generation.

We did have a modern day upgrade of Reeve's movies, Superman Returns, and we all know how boring it turned out. Let the classics remain classics, why mess with them?

To sum it up, Man of Steel is going for a Emotional approach, not dark.

Last edited:

heidi2521

Padawan
I understand where you're coming from, but how exactly are they better? As much as I like Reeve's movies, they kinda screwed superman's personality. He's the reason people think superman has to be a smiling B-itch all the time. You see a teenage clark, a loner who's troubled with himself, can't mingle with people. Then he visits fortress of solitude, talks to his dad, and tada! he becomes the most perfect man in the world!? are you kidding me? what is it, like magic? The concept may have worked at that time, but I'm sure a smiling B-itch super hero concept won't work in this generation.

We did have a modern day upgrade of Reeve's movies, Superman Returns, and we all know how boring it turned out. Let the classics remain classics, why mess with them?

To sum it up, Man of Steel is going for a Emotional approach, not dark.

Yup. This appears to be based more on comics like Superman Earth One and less on post-golden age, "This must be approved by the CCA and be suitable for a bunch of uptight luddites where everyone is a boy scout" comics.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
superman returns was a disaster because it was based on a movie series which went downhill in its last 2 parts.as for always smiling part that's why i said a "modern day upgrade" meaning retaining the story's essence but not the copy of acting mannerisms like always smiling & cheesy dialogues.as for the sudden change though superman was aware that he was different he didn't brood on it like bruce wayne(which i get it from trailers at least) most likely because he never faced a similar tragedy in his childhood & combined with the fact that he do possess a cryptonian mind(they weren't considered one of the smartest races in universe for nothing) it's not entirely ridiculous to think that he takes on the role of a hero so soon after getting to know about his legacy from his biological father.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
superman returns was a disaster because it was based on a movie series which went downhill in its last 2 parts.as for always smiling part that's why i said a "modern day upgrade" meaning retaining the story's essence but not the copy of acting mannerisms like always smiling & cheesy dialogues.as for the sudden change though superman was aware that he was different he didn't brood on it like bruce wayne(which i get it from trailers at least) most likely because he never faced a similar tragedy in his childhood & combined with the fact that he do possess a cryptonian mind(they weren't considered one of the smartest races in universe for nothing) it's not entirely ridiculous to think that he takes on the role of a hero so soon after getting to know about his legacy from his biological father.

Superman isn't your average costume clad superhero whose into theatricals. He's a cultural icon and that's how the comics storyline depict him to be (Earth one superman is the default one).
With all that power, its really not easy to stay controlled without getting corrupted. After all, power corrupts. But the extent of corruption directly relates to ones upbringing.

This part is actually the founding pillar of superman's story which "Man Of Steel" brings into the big picture. He's the ideal example to live up to.
None of the previous superman movies showcased this. Really excited for this.

rajatGod512

N00B Troller
In the trailer when Kevin Costner says ,"You are my son" that part gives me chills .

As much as I love Iron Man ,this thing is pretty hilarious :

*oi47.tinypic.com/11ujek4.jpg

Last edited:

rajatGod512

N00B Troller
^^ Good Movies arent always the ones with big box office numbers , Box office isnt a good way to look if a movie is good or not , it is a good way to look at how successful the movie is . IMO Iron Man will have better numbers close to a billion or more (China will help it) - The reason is that it is coming of THE New worldwide sensation that was the avengers , so many people that earlier were not eager about Iron Man will probably see it , on the other hand people will be skeptical about Man of Steel as the last Superman movie was kind of dull and not many think of it as a good movie . Plus Iron Man 3 is getting almost 2-3 weeks room for its dominance and no big movie is coming until 17 may (Star Trek 2) whereas June is loaded up with blockbusters.

P.S. I found this on IMDB , This sums up my view : The way Kevin delivers his line with his voice cracking was more than enough for me to award him an Oscar on that scene alone JUST for it's believability.

heidi2521

Padawan
^^ Good Movies arent always the ones with big box office numbers , Box office isnt a good way to look if a movie is good or not , it is a good way to look at how successful the movie is . IMO Iron Man will have better numbers close to a billion or more (China will help it) - The reason is that it is coming of THE New worldwide sensation that was the avengers , so many people that earlier were not eager about Iron Man will probably see it , on the other hand people will be skeptical about Man of Steel as the last Superman movie was kind of dull and not many think of it as a good movie . Plus Iron Man 3 is getting almost 2-3 weeks room for its dominance and no big movie is coming until 17 may (Star Trek 2) whereas June is loaded up with blockbusters.

P.S. I found this on IMDB , This sums up my view : The way Kevin delivers his line with his voice cracking was more than enough for me to award him an Oscar on that scene alone JUST for it's believability.

Dude, that comment was in jest. Nobody thinks that box office determines which movie is better. Otherwise Transformers 2 would be considered better than Shawshank Redemption :)

rajatGod512

N00B Troller
I know , I was giving just my view on box office numbers .

P.S.(Offtopic) I dont like any of the two movies you posted tranformers 2 , shawshank redemption . Shawshank is loads better than TF2 but still I dont like that movie.

OP
cyborg47

cyborg47

Technomancer
somehow i am not digging zimmer's score this time around..hoping for better ones in the movie...

I thought the same initially, but listening to it multiple times made it better. Set up the speakers properly, the sound track is pure genius, so much superman in it :D

Terabyte

In the zone
Me too...Initially Trailer 3 disappointed me(both the soundtrack and the trailer in general) cause I felt it lacked the "epicness" but after multiple views it just kept on getting better :D

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
no the trailer was always good..infact i am glad because it looks like a well written movie but i had higher expectations from zimmer...perhaps i should give it more listens...

OP
cyborg47

cyborg47

Technomancer
no the trailer was always good..infact i am glad because it looks like a well written movie but i had higher expectations from zimmer...perhaps i should give it more listens...

Well, Zimmer's music has never been just about nice tunes. They always add something to the story rather than running in the background just for the sake of it. The Batman theme for example, sometimes the score defines the characters, same goes to Gladiator's music as well. I think the music in the MoS trailer does add a lot to superman character, you know, uplifting and heroic. Lets see how it turns out in the full movie.

Top Bottom