Mac4Lin Project hosted on Sourceforge.net

Should Mac4Lin be applied as artwork to Sabayon?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have some other recommendation(put it in your post)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vish786

"The Gentleman"
@infra, another LeopardX Icon theme.

*www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/LeopardX+Beta+2?content=64070

Last edited:

mediator

Technomancer
infra_red_dude said:
@prakash
hehe... :D :D

@mediator
yeah, thats a nice suggestion. its not that hard i assume. coz the only things that will change are the icon theme pack, the kde theme and that the present gtk mac menu hack won't work there. other than that should be same. guess we'll soon work on that. need KDE users' help here :)

@vish
sure man, jus test some and pass on the grub splash. i'll include it in the 0.1 final release :)

@shirish
nothing is hard buddy. but you'll need loads of time and patience :)
Thats great! U'll be a legend~!
INclude themes like
*Default => VISTA home BASic
Choices :
*) HOME premium
*) Starter
*) Teacher/Father/Mother/Kids/* Edition
*) Student edition
*) Professional
*) Ultimate
*) 95/98/Me

...... [SIZE=-1][size=-1]Including Randomly set rate of some jpg,terminal/Freddy Vs Jason flash video acting as BSoDs and killing of apps to mimick crashes[/SIZE].[/size]
Mac... haven't seen much themes from their fanboys, so urs will do!

desai_amogh

In the zone
off topic: one of my frnd caught me reading this thread in office.. & is asking what is it all abt..
i explained him what is mac4lin all abt..
u know what he said... "lekin linux to sirf command se chalta hai na??? usme mouse kahan hota hai??"

OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
@vish
yeah buddy, downloading that.. will check it out.

@mediator
rotfl!! lolz... thats why i'm working only on the mac look! so many versions!!! hehe...

on a serious note, we can work on that. i haf almost all the resources to transform the default look to an XP, Vista basic, Vista Aero look. lets see, if time permits...

@desai_amogh
show him the screenshots. he'll be happy and realise what he said was a thing of past :)

edit: vish, other than the folders its the same theme. checked it out bit by bit!!

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
desai_amogh said:
off topic: one of my frnd caught me reading this thread in office.. & is asking what is it all abt..
i explained him what is mac4lin all abt..
u know what he said... "lekin linux to sirf command se chalta hai na??? usme mouse kahan hota hai??"
Let him read *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_server

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
how come i missied this thread??
anyways
@infra
can you tell how install?
i download it & now what to do?

vish786

"The Gentleman"
9 Wallpas coverted 2 Mac splash images.

Download Link:
*rapidshare.com/files/55313741/macgrubsplash.tar.gz.html

Manually applying Mac4lin.
==================

For Mac Sounds
Copy Leopard_pack_1-> Alternate sounds folder to /usr/share/sounds for easily applying Mac Sounds.

System->Preferences->sound->sounds Tab... Now choose any sounds u wish.
Applying Cursors
Extract Cursors->OSX_Cursors.tar.gz & copy folder to
/usr/share/icons/mac4lin/ OR ~/.icons/

It should look like /usr/share/icons/mac4lin/OSX_Cursors/ OR ~/.icons/OSX_Cursors/<all files>

Goto->System->preferences->mouse->pointer tab->OSX_Cursors.... Apply

Restart X.
Emerald Theme For Beryl & Compiz.
Extract OSX_Emerald.tar.gz & Copy d " Leopard OSX " to ~/.emerald/themes/

After copying, Open Emerald Theme Manager -> Apply OSX theme.
Exaile AWN Plugin
Copy awn.py & awn.pyc file 2 ~/.exaile/plugins/

Create exaile shortcut on AWN -> start exaile player -> tools->plugins->Check AWN plugin.

Played File status wil b shown on AWN.
GDM/Login Window Theme
Goto System->Admin->Login Window->Local Tab->.... add all 3 themes.

after adding them, a preview of theme wil b shown, to apply specific theme click on radio button next to preview.
Grub Splash
To change ur Grub Screen while booting.

Add this line in /boot/grub/menu.lst file
splashimage=(hd1,2)/boot/grub/macgrub/image.xpm.gz
ur partition will be diff along with file name.
Applying Metacity Icon Theme
Goto System->Pref->theme->Click Install theme.... Choose /GTK and Metacity Theme/OSX_GTK.tar.gz
GTK Splash
2 use this u first got to install GnomeTweakui

In terminal,
sudo apt-get install gtweakui
Copy all splash files from /GTK Splash/<files> to /usr/share/pixmaps/splash/

Now Goto System->Pref->gtweakui-session->Click on image.... Select Macsplash & ur done.
Mozilla/Firefox Theme
Open Firefox->tools->add-on->Themes... Drag & Drop /Mozilla Themes/Firefox_OSX.jar on Theme... Click " Install ", Apply Mac Theme... Restart Firefox.
ThunderBird Theme
Its Similar to adding Firefor Theme, Drag and Drop Jar file in.....

Thunderbird Main Client->Tools->Themes............ Restart Client.
Xmms & Bmp Theme
Extract Xmms_osx.tar.gz -> Copy iTunes_Leopard folder to

For Xmms

~/.xmms/Skins/
or
~/usr/share/xmms/skins/

For Bmp
~/usr/share/bmp/skins/

Pidgin Theme
AWN Plugin for Pidgin
Copy AWN plugin from /Leopard_Pack_1/Pidgin/Plugin/pidgin_awn.so TO /usr/lib/pidgin/pidgin_awn.so

Theme
B4 applyin this theme backup ur pidgin folder from /usr/share/pixmaps/pidgin/

Now replace the same /usr/share/pixmaps/pidgin/ folder with Leopard_pack_2/Pidgin/ contents !!!
... Enable AWN plugin in Pidgin.

Important Notice!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rest things like GTK_MacMenu, Font Config, etc Should not be applied as yet they r under development stage. ;)

We r not responsible for any crash/damange done 2 system after applying Mac4lin & Backup ur data b4 using it. :D
@End Users, plz do report us bugs and ur suggestions, after applying.... and mention ur Distro. :)

@infra, Thx for all... if u find any error correct them/inform... will change it.

Last edited:
OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
thanks a lot for posting the procedure vish! you've saved me a lot of time :) i'm checking out those splash screens now. btw, is exaile/pidgin awn plugin working fine for you?

folks, the gtk mac menu works fine. however, there are some uninstall issues. regarding font config, it enhances the display of fonts. however, many users haf not liked it and cudn't properly uninstall it. hence i'm working on it.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
These are the system paths that I've figured out so far. They differ a bit from what vish has given as some of the paths given by him only pertain to per user settings and not system wide.

Sound files - /usr/share/sounds
cursors - /usr/share/icons/mac4lin/cursors
grub splash - /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz(move the previous file)
grub GDM theme - /usr/share/gdm/themes/mac4lin
GTK and Metacity themes - /usr/share/themes/mac4lin
Icons - /usr/share/icons/mac4lin
GTK MacMenu - /usr/share/pixmaps/splash/
pidgin theme - /usr/share/pixmaps/pidgin.png
gnome applets - /usr/share/gnome-applets

I would need someone to figure out system wide paths for dock themes, beryl and compiz themes, exaile AWN plugin, xmms and bmp themes.
There are a few others I have to figure out. Hopefully by this weekend.

vish786

"The Gentleman"
@mehul,

required changes done & already paths for xmms/bmp is given.
use find command... its much easier.

Last edited:
OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
mehulved said:
I would need someone to figure out system wide paths for dock themes, beryl and compiz themes, exaile AWN plugin, xmms and bmp themes.
system wide paths:

1) emerald (for beryl/compiz): /usr/share/emerald/themes
2) exaile awn plugin: /usr/share/exaile/plugins
3) xmms bmp: /usr/share/xmms/skins and /usr/share/bmp/skins

regarding the font config. haf a look at this:

I tweaked the fontconfig XML files so that fonts look like on Windows. This code is borrowed from PC-BSD. First, let's install the Microsoft fonts. You have 2 ways of doing so:

Either download the fonts into your home directory and install them on your system:

Code:
sudo tar xvjpf msfonts.tbz -C /usr/share/fonts/truetype/
Or, enable non-free, universe and multiverse repositories and install the Microsoft fonts:

Code:
sudo apt-get install msttcorefonts
You now have the Microsoft fonts installed. Let's configure your system now.

Download the xml files and extract the file into /etc/fonts/ as root:

Code:
sudo tar xvjpf fontconfig.tbz -C /etc/fonts/
Log out from Ubuntu and relog in. Here's how your desktop will look like:

*img412.imageshack.us/img412/6972/ubuntu5ui.th.png

It's a lot more complex than disabling antialiasing at small font sizes *ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif
Take a backup of /etc/fonts folder and whatever you modify here first, in case you may want to revert.
taken from ubuntuforums.org

ps: i'd been working on icons all day today. so there will be a lot of changes in the upcoming updates. i'm studying the OS X icon theme to the tiniest details. so it may take some time for the update to come up.

hurray, mac4lin downloads haf crosses 4.4GB! :)

praka123

left this forum longback
dear infradude,i really want to test ur project in my system.but mine is used by a moron most of the times and he dont want any customization.but am pessimistic.
I hope sometime soon i can test ya themes. best of Lux dear.

praka123

left this forum longback
btwn i came across a blog while digg-ing reg AWN
*njpatel.blogspot.com/2007/09/howd-you-like-me-now.html

OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Mac4Lin version 0.2 Released!

17th September 2007

I am happy to announce the version 0.2 release of the Mac4Lin Project. Version 0.1 alpha has received an overwhelming response. People have used and liked it and the downloads (as on this day) have touched about 6GB!!! Lots of comments/suggestions/bugs were received and I have tried to iron out all the bugs known till this day. This update also brings a whole lot of new things. See the changelog for changes.

Special thanks to Victor of vsdigital for provding the Firefox Safari Skin and thanks to everyone who tested the version 0.1 alpha. Because of all this I'm giving version 0.2 stable to this release. Keep visiting the project website for more updates.

Apply it, flaunt it, enjoy it! :)

Anirudh (a.k.a ANi, infra_red_dude)

For any suggestions/comments/complaints/feedback/bug tracking please drop by my blog or send a mail:

My Blog: *phoenix-ani.blogspot.com/
My E-Mail id: infra_red_dude<AT>users<DOT>sourceforge<DOT>net
Project Website: *sourceforge.net/projects/mac4lin
Screenshots: *sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=204373

Folks, got my GRE on 8th October. I gotta prep for it and also go thru all the universities' websites. Will be a bit busy. So, I may not be regular at the forums for the next one month. You may post ur feedback either on my blog/project website/this thread or mail it to me. I'll look into it as soon as possible :)

changelog:
Mac4Lin version 0.2, 17/09/2007

Icon updates
New firefox skin by Victor of vsdigital
Mac OS System Sounds
New Grub Screens
More Leopardish Emerald theme
Simdock source tarball included
Leopard Dock AWN theme updated
OS X Fonts and font enhancing guide
More Leopardish GTK Metacity theme
One GTK Splash screen added
Updated Pidgin OSX Theme
Four new wallpapers added
Documentation (README) added for every component
GTK Mac Menu is not included in this pack as some users have reported some issues. If anybody wants to install this, it can be Downloaded from the ver.0.1alpha pack. The GTK Mac Menu package remains unchanged.

edit: woopsie!!! some problem wid SF.net site again. plz wait for sometime. its not showing the new release files. the download take you to the ver.0.1alpha.

i'll wait and watch. if it doesn't refresh then i'll upload again. i'll get back to you guys! :)

edit2: everything is in place and works perfectly!! just tested. you guys may now download Mac4Lin version 0.2!

the approx file sizes are: Mac4Lin_v0.2.tar.gz ~12.9MiB
GTK_Icon_Theme_Mac4Lin_v0.2.tar.gz ~9.1Mib
Wallpapers_Mac4Lin_v0.2.tar.gz ~5.9Mib

Last edited:
Top Bottom