Is cost of internet resonable in India?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkin

Back to school!!
I'll mention my question again assuming it was left in the dust -

Are ISPs charged on the basis of bandwidth usage or are they charged on the basis of the speed allotted as well?
Bandwidth and speed, both. With emphasis on speed.

rajnusker

Sage of the Six Paths
I'll mention my question again assuming it was left in the dust -

Are ISPs charged on the basis of bandwidth usage or are they charged on the basis of the speed allotted as well?

Bandwidth only, speed means nothing to them. It is only a tool to regulate bandwidth flow.

ratul

█████████████████
My plan is @Rs.600 for a 800kbps connection, unlimited from a local ISP (ANI Network)..
Earlier he was using Airtel line, which he now changed to Sify..
Last month, i thought my usage was 100gb+, but when i checked from ISP login page, it was almost 180gb..
Also, he uses local peering for torrents for which i get around 4mbps, on IDM i get 100kBps speed...

Youtube still buffers even for most 360p's, so i think we atleast need 2mbps @ rs.800 unlimited, that should be decent enough price.. :wink:

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Forget 10, I'll be happy to get 1MBps True unlimited for 1k(BSNL).

The bolder word 'Unlimited' is the cause of the problem related to internet speed in India. :p

@All_who_is_concerned: Why don't you guys be satisfied with limited data connection? like 100GB for 1200/- or something like that.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
As long as I get 1 mbps/no bandwidth shaping/no FUP/and decent up time, I am happy. Sadly our ISPs cannot even do this.

drajeshkumar201

Right off the assembly line
come to hyderabad, broadband connection cost is very low, Beam Fiber is the leading ISP providers across Hyderabad city. Beam fiber offering unlimited internet plans at affordable price.

amjath

Human Spambot
come to hyderabad, broadband connection cost is very low, Beam Fiber is the leading ISP providers across Hyderabad city. Beam fiber offering unlimited internet plans at affordable price.

seriously bro u didnt find any thread to reply rather than bumping ~1 and half year old thread :facepalm:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Airtel 2g :10p/10kb
Airtel 3g (unavailable at my place): 3p/10kb :facepalm:

Data pack charges 251 Rs for 1 GB 3g data :banghead:

Tata photon plus: 2 Mbps max speed till 6 GB data, unlimited data @ 156 kbps post 6 GB :mad:. Charges rs 950 plus taxes.

They need to either make the plan true unlimited without FUP or increase the limit to atleast 30 GB.

rish1

Cyborg Agent
600 rs - 2 mbps till 30gb .. 512 afterwords
700 rs - 2 mbps till 50 gb 512 afterwords

ping - 30ms to Indian servers
70ms to Singapore/Asia
170-180ms to USA

fair to user and company both..

Last edited:

deb-poplin

Broken In
One word answer to your title - No.
I have 512kbps and I still download 800GB+ in a month. Need cheaper net :|

I don't get it. How. In an average month let's say there are 30 days. i.e 30*24*60*60=2592000 secs. Now if u r actually using a broadband connection of 512kbps, your effective download is limited to 65-70 kbps (1/8th of the bandwidth). Even if you keep your machine switched on for the whole month you'll still be able to download only 2592000*70=181440000 kb=181.44 GB.

So it appears that you Sir have just lied.. :p

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
600 rs - 2 mbps till 30gb .. 512 afterwords
700 rs - 2 mbps till 50 gb 512 afterwords

ping - 30ms to Indian servers
70ms to Singapore/Asia
170-180ms to USA

fair to user and company both..

Who's your ISP? I'll be happy to get the Rs 700 plan or a higher one. I usually download 20-30 GB per day on an average (college's network).

Last edited:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I don't get it. How. In an average month let's say there are 30 days. i.e 30*24*60*60=2592000 secs. Now if u r actually using a broadband connection of 512kbps, your effective download is limited to 65-70 kbps (1/8th of the bandwidth). Even if you keep your machine switched on for the whole month you'll still be able to download only 2592000*70/8= 22,680,000. kb= 21.629 GB.

So it appears that you Sir have just lied.. :p

Fixed that. You forgot to convert 70 kilobits per second to kilobytes per second.

rish1

Cyborg Agent
Who's your ISP? I'll be happy to get the Rs 700 plan or a higher one. I usually download 20-30 GB per day on an average (college's network).

that's not my isp.. I was replying to thread title.. that no current plans are not fair. this should be the ideal plan for 2014 and should be adopted by every isp airtel/bsnl..
this plan will be fair to both user and company... currently airtel has 2mbps till 9gb then 512 for 600-700 rs .. the fup should be raised this year to 30gb minimum

Fixed that. You forgot to convert 70 kilobits per second to kilobytes per second.

no you did it wrong the earlier calculation by deb poblin was right..

70*60*60*24*30

divide this by 1024 2 times

70*60*60*24*30/1024/1024
= 173.03 gb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom