Intel Sandy Bridge E and LGA2011 Discussion

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Intel Core i7-3960X (Sandy Bridge-E) And X79 Platform benchmarked (Tomshardware)

Guys i7 3960x is compared with i7990x,i72600k and amd x6 1100t. Check it out asap.

Its an engineering sample and not the final product. Its nearly killing the competition in memory bandwidth and apps employing newer instruction sets for eg- AES-NI.

Expect higher performance in the actual released cpu.

Gaming performance is a big let down though. :(

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
I'm unimpressed by the entire platform and it's validity to spend so much to gain so little out of it.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like a lower priced i7 2600k is going to be the CPU to buy for the next couple of quarters, but then this was an engineering sample.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Exactly mate, it was an engineering sample. Expect the final product to be much better. Did you check the memory bandwith and AES performance? It simply demolished its predecessor i.e the 990x even in the ES mould.

Games are not yet optimized to use 6 cores yet.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Guide to SNB-E OCing, Would be handy in future:- ;)

How to Overclock Sandy Bridge E | bit-tech.net

Here's Anandtech's summary, in case you just want a quick shot:- ;)

AnandTech - A Look Into Sandy Bridge-E Overclocking

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
Intel Confirmed to Bundle Liquid Coolers with Sandy Bridge-E | Maximum-Tech
Intel Confirms Bundling LGA 2011 CPUs with Own-Brand Liquid Coolers - Softpedia
Intel Confirms Plan to Bundle LGA2011 Chips with Own-Brand Liquid Coolers - X-bit labs

tkin

Back to school!!
Intel Confirms Plan to Bundle LGA2011 Chips with Own-Brand Liquid Coolers - X-bit labs
Again with the stupid decision, a leak will be disastrous, I think intel should release 2 versions of these processors, one with cooler and one without the cooler.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
if they have to bundle a cooler why can't they bundle some good air coolers from Noctua/CM/Thermaltake or any other company which have plenty of knowledge in air coolers - the liquid coolers they will provide won't be good as compared to those available on market and there's always chance of leakage.

either they should provide some good air cooler or sell the cpus without any coolers which will be great for enthusiasts ;-)

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!

It's a very good decision made by Intel. Provided that their stock coolers are of good quality, they won't leak.

tkin

Back to school!!
It's a very good decision made by Intel. Provided that their stock coolers are of good quality, they won't leak.
The coolers are from coolit Asetek used by corsair earlier and they DO leak on occasions, want to take the risk?

Last edited:

gameranand

Living to Play
Way too bad decision by intel. Better provide nice air cooler rather than WC.

max_snyper

Maximum Effort!!!!!!
a better air cooling is more than enough....may be that 980x stock cooler will do.
WC is a risk.....you never know when it will start raining inside your cabinet!!!!!!
And in India we dont have replacement policies like the ones in America for damage due to water cooling kits.
Badmove both by Intel & AMD to include WC for their new proccys.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
The coolers are from coolit, used by corsair earlier and they DO leak on occasions, want to take the risk?

thanks for the real manufacturer info of those liquid coolers

but still I don't believe in quality of such products as the risk is just too much and they have not clearly said what will they do if those coolers leak inside of the cabby - only corsair has good warranty policy regarding such incident but still it's too costly.

How about they bundle coolers like NOCTUA NH-D14 with cpus ;-)

I know it won't ( most of the chances ) compatible with SB-E sockets but Noctua ( and many others ) will release some High end product for that platform for sure - so instead of $100 Liquid cooling kit they should provide high end $100 air coolers ;-)

gameranand

Living to Play
Exactly. Air cooling is better because if WC leaks and damage other parts and intel don't replace that then they are just ruining their reputation also not to mention would the local "assempler" be comfortable with that ??

tkin

Back to school!!
thanks for the real manufacturer info of those liquid coolers

but still I don't believe in quality of such products as the risk is just too much and they have not clearly said what will they do if those coolers leak inside of the cabby - only corsair has good warranty policy regarding such incident but still it's too costly.

How about they bundle coolers like NOCTUA NH-D14 with cpus ;-)

I know it won't ( most of the chances ) compatible with SB-E sockets but Noctua ( and many others ) will release some High end product for that platform for sure - so instead of $100 Liquid cooling kit they should provide high end $100 air coolers ;-)
I agree, and companies like Noctua and Corsair have good support policy, when socket 1156 came out Noctua developed a new mounting system for it and shipped it free of cost to Noctua owners worldwide, so people owning older Noctua coolers(Noctua U12P /not SE2) could use it with the new system, so I can bet when Sandy-E comes out Noctua will again do the same for old generation cooler owners and ship mounting systems to us for free.

Noctua.at - sound-optimised premium components "Designed in Austria"!
We provide mounting upgrades for Noctua CPU coolers free of charge, so if you would like to continue using your Noctua cooler on a new socket, we will send you a new mounting kit at no additional cost. For ordering our mounting kits, a proof of purchase (photo, scan or screenshot of the invoice) of both a Noctua CPU cooler and hardware components corresponding to the specific kit are required.

The following kits are currently available:

NM-I3 Mounting-Kit: Upgrades older Noctua CPU coolers to LGA1156/1155 & LGA1366.
NM-A90 Upgrade-Kit: Makes it possible to install NH-U12P SE2 and NH-U9B SE2 CPU coolers turned by 90° on AMD motherboards.

Update: I fumbled up, the coolers from Intel are cooled by Asetek, but they are also used by Corsair and they also Leak, so my stance on this still holds.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
good move by Noctua for providing mounting upgrades for free - if they do the same for SB-E buyers then it will be really great.

Thanks for the info on Intel Liquid cooler - even AMD Liquid Cooling Kits ( comes with some FX cpus ) is made by Asetek ;-)

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
Check this

Intel's Ivy Bridge Processors to Reduce Power Consumption to 77W - X-bit labs