Intel Sandy Bridge E and LGA2011 Discussion

bhushan2k

Genius in making mistakes
*i.zdnet.com/blogs/intel-x79-express-chipset.jpg

A Chinese Web site has posted a slide showing a new Intel chipset that’s designed to work with the company’s forthcoming Sandy Bridge E processors (”E” standing for “enthusiast”). The X79 Express will replace the X58 as the top desktop chipset when the new high-performance CPUs are launched in the fourth quarter of this year.

Along with the new processors and chipsets, Intel will roll out a new socket, the LGA2011. The X79 fully supports two PCIe x16 lanes, has 14 SATA ports — including 10 of the 6Gbps flavor — and possesses 8 ports that support SAS. There are 14 USB 2.0 ports, but no mention of USB 3.0 connections — or Thunderbolt ports, for that matter. PCI x1 support is eliminated.

Sandy Bridge E processors will replace the Gulftown-based Extreme six-core CPUs as the top performers in Intel’s desktop lineup. Needless to say, one of the new processors, along with an X79 Express motherboard, will set you back a pretty penny or two (or, more accurately, thousands and thousands of pennies). Start saving.

Source 1

Source 2

Last edited:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
That is one enthusiast platform with a vast range of cpu support. Ideal for multigpu setups. It will also have support for socket 2011 based ivybridge cpu's.

OP
bhushan2k

bhushan2k

^^yup...m wondering overclocking capabilities of x79...

As most of you know by now, Intel has decided to limit the overclocking potential of their Sandy Bridge based proccys by locking the base clock frequency of their chip, striking terror in the harts of enthusiasts everywhere, but the news suggest that Intel planned to release a new series of Sandy Bridge processors that'll come completely unlocked i.e. E.

According to the one website, these new processors will be based on the Sandy Bridge E core that moves the clock generator back onto the motherboard allowing base clock frequency to be changed once again.

In the current Sandy Bridge architecture, the clock generator is placed inside the CPU, Intel locking it so that it limits the overclocking potential of their chips, in order not to cannibalize Nehalem sales, this core remaining Intel's top of the line offering even after Sandy Bridge launches.

Thanks to the locked clock generator, overclocking is severely limited on Intel's Sandy Bridge CPUs, only K models being more overclocking friendly since they come with an unlocked multiplier.

This latest development regarding Sandy Bridge comes just a few days after we reported about a chipset called Intel Z68 that came with what was referred as “Performance Over Clocking” support.

Since the Sandy Bridge E processor is destined to come as a replacement for current Nehelem based chips, enabling full overclocking support would make sense, since Nehalem would probably be phased out as soon as Sandy Bridge E comes to market.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Yes the bclk can be altered in x79 chipset. Sandybridge-e when overclocked are going to be scorchers.

OP
bhushan2k

bhushan2k

A recently leaked Intel roadmp has come to detail the company's upcoming high-performance Sandy Bridge-E processors. The first CPU batch will be comprised of three models which pack four or six cores and work at speeds ranging from 3.2GHz to 3.6GHz.

The fastest Sandy Bridge-E chip in Intel's lineup is destined to replace the current Core i7-990X, as well as the future iterations of this processor (Core i7-995X), and packs six processing cores seconded by 15MB of L3 cache memory.

The yet unnamed processor will be clocked at 3.3GHz and Intel's roadmap stated that it would feature a fully unlocked design.

Right below this CPU, in the so-called premium performance category, Intel will release another six-core chip that also packs a fully unlocked design, but, this time, the processor has to make do with 12MB of L3 cache and with a slightly reduced core frequency (3.2GHz).

Finally, the slowest Sandy Bridge-E CPU, uses a quad-core design, 10MB of Level 3 cache memory and has a clock speed of 3.6GHz.

*i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/Intel-Sandy-Bridge-E-Desktop-Processors-Get-Detailed-Reach-Speeds-Up-to-3-6GHz-3.jpg

Source

OP
bhushan2k

bhushan2k

lacking of 2 cores doesn't affect the extreme performance which intel has been keeping since couple of years...intel still leads..

@gaurav how did u undertand that translated english too?? Lol

max_snyper

Maximum Effort!!!!!!
IMO...any home *enthusiast pc having more than 4 cores is just a marketing gimmick....what the comapnies like intel &amd are doing is they are supposedly creating the need for it, so then they could sell their products....for example take any game on this* platform having a good gpu. At higher resolution there is minimal impact from the cpu side as gpu takes in charge.
a good quad core with good frequency say about 3.1~3.6ghz is sufficient for enthusiast platform. IMO
And if we are thinking of the future it will be helpful then think again till that time these companies will have more better architecture in place....these comapnies sell you the gear ment for todays use not for the future keep that in mind
Think of it.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Pc's are not meant for gaming only. There are lot of apps that will support superscalar architecture and take advantage of it. Technology should and always will have room for improvement and that's how it is.

Yes good quadcores will suffice for current applications but things change rather quickly and soon multicore computing will see more than quadcores as standard. Parallelism is the advent of next gen computing and will go in that direction.

max_snyper

Maximum Effort!!!!!!
^^ you tell me on this forum how many people buy pc any budget...did mention that he/she doesnt want gaming (high-mid-low)...very less man.
when u want overall computaion power u need to think of gaming as well
see example quads intel vs hex amd (not taking any company's side just an example)
And i gave gaming as an example,would you buy hex-core intel that cost for rs.50k just to support raw computing power(as i think u are a end user as me).
all companies have been projecting that more cores better performance...but still they are far still their goal.
we'll see that next year but now-a-days its just fooling their customers....half baked rice
BTW came around comparision between hex 990x VS 2600k...SB had a quite good edge on the review......and majority reviewers stress on win rar test,video playback,and gaming to test the product now a days...it has become a norm.
Bro.

OP
bhushan2k

bhushan2k

even i don't understand..extreme edition i7 and sandy bridge i7 perform same or little bit less or more when we see the benchmarks..still extreme edition costs thrice of sandy bridge..who will dare to buy 50k proccy if u r getting same performance in 1/3rd price..lol..i previously thought it is totally based on the technology and the material used for implementations..but question still arises..now sandy bridge enthusiast proccy will also be costlier than current sandy bridge and may be ivy bridge will be in budget like SNBs

Last edited:
OP
bhushan2k

bhushan2k

Intel Sandy Bridge-E CPUs Can Turbo Up to 3.9GHz

Latest information available confirms the fact that the CPUs can reach speeds up to 3.9GHz when Turbo Boost is enabled.

The Sandy Bridge-E processors are targeting enthusiast users who demand the best from the systems and are destined to replace the current 900-series Core i7 CPUs.

Initially, Intel will launch only three models, an Extreme Edition chip that packs six processing cores, 15MB of Level 3 cache and has a stock frequency of 3.3GHz, a second six-core model with 12MB of L3 cache and 3.2GHz base clock and a quad-core model that features 10MB of L3 cache and a 3.6GHz clock speed.

The latter will also feature a “limited unlocked” design, which means that it has a partially locked multiplier that goes only six bins higher than the maximum Turbo frequencies.

Speaking of Turbo, the Extreme Edition CPU and the quad-core model both can reach speeds up to 3.9GHz when a single processor core is loaded, while the 3.2GHz six-core chip is limited at 3.8GHz in Turbo mode.

Softpedia

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
looks like speed competition is once again going to heat up between two rivals ;-)

Here we got 3.9 GHz and there amd has 4.9 Ghz in TB mode ut one thing is very clear - these will the top of the line cpu from these manufacturers and will have premium price tag for sure.

BTW, take a look at this link as it has more details ;-)
Additional Details on Sandy Bridge-E Processors, X79, and LGA2011 - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some update:-

Intel Sandy Bridge-E Will Not Receive Tangible Clock-Speed Boost - Documents - X-bit labs

OP
bhushan2k

bhushan2k

Intel Could Still Launch Sandy Bridge-E in 2011

Not so long ago, we reported that Intel decided to postpone the launch of it upcoming Sandy Bridge-E processors to the start of 2012, but recent information has come to suggest there is still a possibility that the LGA-2011 platform will be released by the end of the year.

Softpedia

macho84

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi guys i had a quick question. Though technology keep on improving architecture. Why the base frequency itself be over 4ghz. As all lying in less than 4. Is that shrinking the die size making the processor limiting to frequency multiplier. Intel has to work on frequency. Though the architecture do the need full. Why people risk and invest a lot on coolers while the internal and base design itself host a power full clocked one. Overclockable processor means it can handle the frequency but we need to invest a good cooler. Instead if the design support that speed enhancement. then it would be better. Even turbo boost is just 500mhz jump not much. Its fine but future design of 22 nm and so on with 3d diode design still going to limit the frequency allowing 3rd party manufactures to earn money but just adding an accessory to cpu.

if intel very well handle this instead of just keep on changing the architecture and increasing the cores in it. it need to find a way to maximize the clock.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some not so good news:-

Sandy Bridge-E launching with reduced platform feature set? - TechSpot News

And some good:-

First Sandy Bridge-E models detailed

The guys from Donanimhaber.com managed to score some details regarding first three Sandy Bridge-E models, the Core i7-3960X, Core i7-3930X and the Core i7-3820.

The first one, Core i7-3960X will feature six cores clocked at 3.30GHz with Turbo set at 3.9GHz. It will have 15MB of cache and since this one bears Intel's Extreme Edition badge, the multiplier will be unlocked.
The second one, Core i7-3930 is also part of the Extreme Edition lineup and will also have an unlocked multiplier. This hexa-core works at 3.2GHz with Turbo set at 3.8GHz. It has 12MB of cache while the TDP should be rated at 130W, same as the Core i7-3960X.

The final one detailed is the non-EE quad-core Core i7-3820. Clocked at 3.6GHz (Turbo at 3.9GHz) this one will not feature unlocked multiplier, will have 10MB of cache and should have the same 130W TDP. According to the same post, all three models should feature support for quad-channel memory.

But don't believe these Donanimhaber guys, apparently they are also claiming BD would perform on par with SNB. ;)

Last edited:
OP
bhushan2k

bhushan2k

hmm...apart from believing, the news is great for enthusiasts...even quad core is enough..

Top Bottom