Intel Sandy Bridge E and LGA2011 Discussion

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Planning to get SB-E ;-)

coming to the topic - I'm really amazed to see the quad-channel memory support but TDP of 130W looks a bit higher - I know it's a hexa core cpu but 130W with some new tech is still higher - new cpus have to be more power saving IMO and Intel should really think about bundling some decent cpu cooler this time ;-)

tkin

Back to school!!
^^ That would be max unlocked edition(Extreme edition), something like a 950 would cost about 20k, good thing is that I am gonna get a job next year.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ By that time you might get a GTX 780 or HD8990 and some 4/8x 2100 Mhz DDR3 ( quad channel mem support ) ram modules to use with the SB-E rig ;-)

And priced the CPU at $999 with no competition. ;)

Yep, lack of competing AMD cpu and delay of Bulldozer makes Intel play monopoly with the price but no one can deny the extreme level of performance they offer and this is going to set a new example with SB-E extreme edition cpus anyway ;-)

tkin

Back to school!!
^^ By that time you might get a GTX 780 or HD8990 and some 4/8x 2100 Mhz DDR3 ( quad channel mem support ) ram modules to use with the SB-E rig ;-)

Yep, lack of competing AMD cpu and delay of Bulldozer makes Intel play monopoly with the price but no one can deny the extreme level of performance they offer and this is going to set a new example with SB-E extreme edition cpus anyway ;-)
Think about 6 cores/12 threads with the sandy architecture, it will be priced @ 400-500$ probably, the 8core/16thread will go for $1k I think.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ If a 6 core sandybridge -e will be 400-500$, then it will be an instant hit just like the previous x58 based nehalems.

Defeating this will really be something for competitors and that is highly unlikely as well. Intel's cpu performance is intense and so is their technology. I wonder their 3d trigate transisors will totally fabricate new rules and ideas in the world of microprocessor.

There is a reason why they are the no. 1 chip maker in the world.:smile:

tkin

Back to school!!
^^ If a 6 core sandybridge -e will be 400-500$, then it will be an instant hit just like the previous x58 based nehalems.

Defeating this will really be something for competitors and that is highly unlikely as well. Intel's cpu performance is intense and so is their technology. I wonder their 3d trigate transisors will totally fabricate new rules and ideas in the world of microprocessor.

There is a reason why they are the no. 1 chip maker in the world.:smile:
Just like 870 was, but this will only materialize if BD is a significant threat, if not then it won't come, its actually AMD that's holding us back :-?

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
SNB-E expected to come before Christmas in November, and Intel is apparently cutting corners to push it out early. Read more:

Exclusive: Sandy Bridge-E now expected to launch in November, X79 chipset getting further feature cuts by VR-Zone.com

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
looks like intel know something about the performance of upcoming rival cpu from AMD and that's why they are releasing it a bit earlier IMO ;-)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ yep, it's pure competition in marketing but some time manufacturers do take the unfair route ;-)

btw, check these out :
Intel’s Sandy Bridge-E said to slip again | SemiAccurate

*news.softpedia.com/news/Intel-Sandy-Bridge-E-Performance-Unveiled-212946.shtml

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
A "not so cool" update:-

Exclusive: Sandy Bridge-E to ship without cooler by VR-Zone.com

On top of this, we're hearing that although the rated TDP is 130W these beasts are consuming closer to 180W and that's without even overclocking them. In fact, according to PSU design guidance we've seen, Intel is telling power supply makers to make sure their Sandy Bridge-E PSUs can cope with a peak current of 23A on the 12V2 rail and based on an 80 percent or better efficiency rating of the PSU.

As such it might be a very good idea to invest in a water cooling kit if you're planning on going Sandy Bridge-E, especially if you're planning on pushing the boat out and overclock. The bad news for LN2 crowd is that at least early samples of Sandy Bridge-E is suffering from the dreaded cold bug, although this might have been fixed in later revisions of the processor.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ nice find.

take a look at here ;-)

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/1476147-post20.html

Intel is going to sell their own cooler to start their cpu cooling business I guess.

Now if Intel is going to ship SB-E cpus without coolers it's great in one way as Enthusiast PC user don't care about the stock HSF comes with cpu and always buy a aftermarket cooler - so they don't have to pay a penny more for which they don't use.

But I'm really surprised to see the gigantic power TDP of and power consumption requirements of SB-E cpus - what will be their efficiency level with such high requirements ?

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
checked. prices of the SNB-E CPUs revealed, an exact replacement of Socket 1366 i7 price points.

Source:
AnandTech - Info on Sandy Bridge-E Pricing

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
i7-2600K will be better as it has unlocked multiplier. I still can't see any point of getting i7-3820 with X79. If you want to get X79, then better get i7-3930K.

Read the comments in that page. ^ They share the same view.

Top Bottom