Intel Sandy Bridge E and LGA2011 Discussion

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
I think if you are running particularly CPU intensive or heavily threaded apps, or if you want to show off, then this is OK, for normal desktop users and gamers, hard to justify.

Correct:) You are spot on in this comment.

It does skud.

SB-E's strong pont is multi GPU scaling.

Yes, the additional lanes will work wonders for tri-sli or tri-fire. Multhreaded performance is terrific. I mean 50% more than 2600k. The gap will rise even more as the future is multithreading. Due to intels clock per clock IPC, we are seeing such a performance boost in the multithreaded scenario.

Had bulldozer's IPC would have been anywhere close, we would have definitely seen tremendous performance from the fx8150.

But AMD totally neglected IPC and only stressed on multicore performance. A big reason for bulldozer's failure.

Guys how does this config sound??

* Intel® Core™ i7-3960X Processor
* Ultimate Overclock 30% or more
* 16GB DDR3/1600MHz RAM
* 2 x NVIDIA GTX590 3GB Video
* Gigabyte X79 G1 Assassin 2 USB3 & SATA3 Motherboard
* 60GB x 2 Raid 0 OCZ SSD
* 2TB SATA3 7200 RPM HD
* LG 12X Blu-Ray Rewriter
* Corsair Obsidian Case

Its $5065:wink:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I gave a damn about i7-990X. But can't give the same damn for i7-3960X. :)

Power consumption is off and Bulldozeresque. IPC remains the same as SB and multi-score performance scaling is linear which is excellent unlike Bulldozer. With 50% more threads you see 50% more performance.

But can't see the point of anyone needing this when you have i7-2600k unless you feel short of PCIe lanes.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Ico the additional lanes are worth it.

PCIE 3.0 lanes means excellent future proofing.

But no one should deny it being a lower binned server chip rather than a cream of crop desktop chip that the previous models were.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
HARDOCP - What's Inside - Intel Core i7-3960X - Sandy Bridge E Processor Review - hilarious and the best review out there. Straight to the point.

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
one point worth mentioning that they are not providing native SATA 3.0 support. this means mobo makers have to use third party chips == increase cost :x

@vickybat you forgot the cpu cooler

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
I gave a damn about i7-990X. But can't give the same damn for i7-3960X. :)

Power consumption is off and Bulldozeresque. IPC remains the same as SB and multi-score performance scaling is linear which is excellent unlike Bulldozer. With 50% more threads you see 50% more performance.

But can't see the point of anyone needing this when you have i7-2600k unless you feel short of PCIe lanes.

This. Sometimes AMD's platform seems better option to me rather than SB, although the CPUs tell a different story.

HARDOCP - What's Inside - Intel Core i7-3960X - Sandy Bridge E Processor Review - hilarious and the best review out there. Straight to the point.

Intel debuts its $1000+ Extreme Edition 3960X processor parroting how great it is for the gamer and enthusiast. With 6 cores and 12 threads, a new motherboard and chipset platform, and quad channel DDR3, Intel has done the impossible, given us everything we don't want, and nothing we do want.

Just the intro is enough. :rofl:

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
In one of the reviews the intel mobo was sent and exact instructions for 4.8Ghz was given by the intel techies.

The reviewers were not even able to POST :rofl:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
The 3930k is the hottest in the sandybridge-E lineup. It will provide atleast some value as one can buy a better motherboard or gpu with the money saved. Its unlocked and will have similar performance as 3960x albeit a wee bit lower.

Another thing worth mentioning is the memory bandwidth. Its a whooping 37.0gbps in sandra memory bench up from 21.2gbps of 2600k and 19.9gbps of 990x.

The quad core i7 3820 will come next year and will deserve more attention from budget buyers those are willing to invest in the sandy-E platform. But still 2600k and 2700k are the processors of choice currently even for enthusiasts.

ssb1551

Technomancer
Intel has done the impossible, given us everything we don't want, and nothing we do want

Nice find Skud!!:rofl:..Hyterical!!

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
ASUS Launches the Most Complete and Innovative X79 Motherboard Lineup | techPowerUp
GIGABYTE Launches X79 Series Motherboards | techPowerUp
ASRock Unveils Superb X79 Overclock ‘KING' Motherboard Series | techPowerUp
MSI Announces All-New X79 Motherboard Series Featuring Military Class III Components | techPowerUp
Introducing the EVGA X79 Motherboards | techPowerUp

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Intel Core i7-3930K And Core i7-3820: Sandy Bridge-E, Cheaper

Looks like 3930k is the sandybridge-E to get. 3820 also offers consistent high perfromance than 2600k but overclocking is a bit tedious considering the lack of unlocked multipliers.

Top Bottom