Intel Sandy Bridge discussion

Piyush

Lanaya
lets have a look..
will comment after a while

---------- Post added at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

different sites
different results almost

utkarsh009

In the zone
afaik phenom II X6 1100t is available for 11k and that i7-2600k available for 17k but p2 is not too far behind. its surely worth considering if spending 5k extra isnt possible. but intel has outperformed amd in every test. maybe BD will bring back amd in the game.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
^^i am comparing 2500k and phenom 1100 on cost to cost bases. 2600 is definetely better.

---------- Post added at 04:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

Intel Z68 Express Chipset Preview: SSD Caching And Quick Sync : Z68 Express Makes Its Debut

guys take a look at these benches and compare 2500k and 1100T in heavily threaded apps and give your views.

*imageupload.org/?di=10129998544116
*imageupload.org/?di=412999854427
*imageupload.org/?di=212999854421
*imageupload.org/?di=12129998544311
*imageupload.org/?di=1212999854439
*imageupload.org/?di=712999854586
*imageupload.org/?di=7129998545914
*imageupload.org/?di=1612999854594
*imageupload.org/?di=4129998545911
*imageupload.org/?di=312999854602
*imageupload.org/?di=1212999859387
*imageupload.org/?di=11129998593814

guru3d images cant be copied. so see the links -
Core i5 2500K and Core i7 2600K review

About Guru3D images...they are actually flash content and so can't be copied. :)

And i see that the 1090T and 1100T are quite the performers...seems to better the i5-2500k on all of the benches except the DhryStone Test.
Expectedly, the i7 is better than the i5.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
The above tests are based on pure synthetics and are rather old tests. Its giving the age old results. Amd cpu's were always good in wheatstone and cinebench. But sandy is turning things around a bit. Amd's are really good in crunching floating point performance.
Wheatstone does that and dhrystone on the other hand combines integer and floating point operations. Intels are strong here.

Talk about video encoding, handbrake does not support the new AVX instruction set which the newer sandybridge cpu's support. They will be much faster when encoding apps support avx. Bulldozer will also support AVX.

So from overall performance point of view, both the 2500k and 2600k are better than amd 1090t and 1100t. They will be much better once the newer instruction sets come into play.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
^u are wrong to say amd always better. 980x and 2600k are ahead of 1100t. But 2500k is behind.
Moreover those tests whatever they may be, still show cpu performance which is what i am concerned of.
They are threaded unbiased tests. and Guru3d is not mad to include them!

And i posted 12 images from anand and toms. All vanished!
They were 7zip, 3dmax, handbrake, visual studio etc.
I will post them tomorrow.

Moreover am3 will support bulldozer hopefully.

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!
The above tests are based on pure synthetics and are rather old tests. Its giving the age old results. Amd cpu's were always good in wheatstone and cinebench. But sandy is turning things around a bit. Amd's are really good in crunching floating point performance.
Wheatstone does that and dhrystone on the other hand combines integer and floating point operations. Intels are strong here.

Talk about video encoding, handbrake does not support the new AVX instruction set which the newer sandybridge cpu's support. They will be much faster when encoding apps support avx. Bulldozer will also support AVX.

So from overall performance point of view, both the 2500k and 2600k are better than amd 1090t and 1100t. They will be much better once the newer instruction sets come into play.
Handbrake is dead, try mediacoder or xilisoft.

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

PS: Intel's AVX throughput is two times more as compared to AMDs(Bulldozer).

lordirecto

In the zone
i5 2500k and phenom 1100 are closely matched. I do not think a normal user or even a performance oriented user will find a huge difference of microseconds very important.
From the price point of view, I can give you 2 cases.
1. You are impatient(for Bulldozer) but want a top end enthusiast proccy(not so future-proof), go for phenom 1100.
2. You are on string shoe budget(say 60,000 at the least), yet want a decent performance(and also a bit future proof technology), go for i5 2500k.

As for Z68 chipset, it does not make a difference to people do not mind spending a few milliseconds in waiting for an application to load. And I do not think gamers will want to utilize both the onboard GPU as well as dedicated GPU. Think about it, gamers invest in a dedicated GPU for a reason, why would they want to use something that they originally did not want to use?
Although it is unfair for people who want to use onboard GPU as well as dedicated GPU to select between H67 or P67(as of now), I do not feel it has a huge difference. But it does add a glamour quotient to Intel, as they can show off the number of diverse chipsets they have got.

tkin

Back to school!!
i5 2500k and phenom 1100 are closely matched. I do not think a normal user or even a performance oriented user will find a huge difference of microseconds very important.
1. You are impatient(for Bulldozer) but want a top end enthusiast proccy(not so future-proof), go for phenom 1100.
2. You are on string shoe budget(say 60,000 at the least), yet want a decent performance(and also a bit future proof technology), go for i5 2500k.

As for Z68 chipset, it does not make a difference to people do not mind spending a few milliseconds in waiting for an application to load. And I do not think gamers will want to utilize both the onboard GPU as well as dedicated GPU. Think about it, gamers invest in a dedicated GPU for a reason, why would they want to use something that they originally did not want to use?
Although it is unfair for people who want to use onboard GPU as well as dedicated GPU to select between H67 or P67(as of now), I do not feel it has a huge difference. But it does add a glamour quotient to Intel, as they can show off the number of diverse chipsets they have got.
Onboard GPU consume less power than dedicated, not to mention intels is faster than any dedicated gpu ever.

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
lordirecto said:
:?
1100T + 880GMA
12k + 4k = 16k

2500k + P67
11k + 8k = 19k

IMO 2500k is best in all cases unless its over your budget or you need HT of 2600k.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
here are those images that vanished from my last post!!:-D

*www.freeuploadimages.org/images/1qu289n52p9pqsvjrfnh.png
*www.freeuploadimages.org/images/4cvckidndueeyae0unf.png
*www.freeuploadimages.org/images/xfaj0id9ytjf7ap3obeg.png
*www.freeuploadimages.org/images/ibd8k37wilqtbh8o6dt.png
*www.freeuploadimages.org/images/c9hqicrcwb76yyfa2d.png
*www.freeuploadimages.org/images/2bb7ve8wz9s418e43k.png
*www.freeuploadimages.org/images/hbjfjd8vlze20q1ubs.png
*www.freeuploadimages.org/images/5de83aao2n5onz1jket3.png
*www.freeuploadimages.org/images/zxsoq9ebppfus27h7nw.png
*www.freeuploadimages.org/images/k5zv2xce4k8xji0okcb.png
*www.freeuploadimages.org/images/48flsf4ct3txgtdbb5n4.png
*www.freeuploadimages.org/images/cuhzbeiadwfost7swob.png

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
for games there's no alternative of SB 2500K and a hefty amount of OC with a beefy cooler and it consumes a lot less power compared to the performance it offers & how many games really care about encoding videos anyway !

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
for games there's no alternative of SB 2500K and a hefty amount of OC with a beefy cooler and it consumes a lot less power compared to the performance it offers & how many games really care about encoding videos anyway !

yup gamers will prefer a 2500k.

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
well, I'd still prefer to suggest Sandy Bridge alternatives over 1100T because AMD has not yet made clear whether Bulldozer processors will work in AM3 socket or not. :oops: Whereas LGA 1155 will be be supported by Intel for the time being.

tkin

Back to school!!
but 2500k is slower than 950 so blooomers should get 960 instead of that.
X58 does not have a promising future, intel will turn this into a super enthusiast platform(ie 980x and the likes), 2500k has a better future, not to mention Ivy Bridge support later, also Ivy boards have better features(UEFI Bios, USB 3.0) at a much lower price, also H67/P67 is less twitchy about high voltage memories.

utkarsh009

In the zone
look at the ranks of proccys here: PassMark - CPU Benchmarks - List of Benchmarked CPUs it lists phenom II X6 1100 to be 37 and i5-2500k to be 26 while p2 beats i5-2400.

lordirecto

In the zone
You people are overlooking AMD fanboys, who will buy 1100 even if it is not on par with SB.

---------- Post added at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 PM ----------

2500k has a better future, not to mention Ivy Bridge support later, also Ivy boards have better features(UEFI Bios, USB 3.0) at a much lower price, also H67/P67 is less twitchy about high voltage memories.

Dude, wait.. Ivybridge will support 2500k? Or am I missing that Z68 chipset is Ivybridge? Hmmm seems my knowledge is a bit messed up :duh2:

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
^^ivybridge is coming next year. its 28nm die shrink of sandybridge afaik.

@ico
they will. chances are bulldozer will be compatibnle on am3. otherwise current am3 will be compatible on am3+. one way or other its sure.

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

@ico
AMD Bulldozer to Overshadow Existing Phenoms in June > News on CPUs PCs & Laptops > Tech2.com India

amd never dissapoints :razz:

tkin

Back to school!!
You people are overlooking AMD fanboys, who will buy 1100 even if it is not on par with SB.

---------- Post added at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 PM ----------

Dude, wait.. Ivybridge will support 2500k? Or am I missing that Z68 chipset is Ivybridge? Hmmm seems my knowledge is a bit messed up :duh2:
Intel's current chipsets(H67/P67) will support Ivy Bridge(which is a processor) with a bios upgrade, i.e it will remain socket compatibility(same socket, 1155). If you buy sandy bridge now you can later get Ivy bridge without mobo upgrade as ivy bridge will run on socket 1155.

Top Bottom