Intel Sandy Bridge discussion

lordirecto

In the zone
Intel's current chipsets(H67/P67) will support Ivy Bridge(which is a processor) with a bios upgrade, i.e it will remain socket compatibility(same socket, 1155). If you buy sandy bridge now you can later get Ivy bridge without mobo upgrade as ivy bridge will run on socket 1155.

Oh... .So I can buy a better proccy with the same mobo?? That will be awesome :D

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
But here it reads 22nm.

^^ivybridge is coming next year. its 28nm die shrink of sandybridge afaik.

@ico
they will. chances are bulldozer will be compatibnle on am3. otherwise current am3 will be compatible on am3+. one way or other its sure.

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

@ico
AMD Bulldozer to Overshadow Existing Phenoms in June > News on CPUs PCs & Laptops > Tech2.com India

amd never dissapoints :razz:

I thought it was 22nm ;-)

ivy has two possibilities :

1. It will remain compatible with LGA 1155
or
2. Intel will release a entirely new chipset ( x78 anyone ? ) and socket based on socket 2011

now acc to this Intel has completed designing Ivy Bridge processors and is planning to showcase them during Computex Taiwan 2011 in June - so most of the chances it will use the existing LGA 1155 but you can never be sure what intel has to offer anyway ;-)

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ico
they will. chances are bulldozer will be compatibnle on am3. otherwise current am3 will be compatible on am3+. one way or other its sure.

@ico
AMD Bulldozer to Overshadow Existing Phenoms in June > News on CPUs PCs & Laptops > Tech2.com India

amd never dissapoints :razz:
No confirmation from AMD yet. :)

btw, AM3+ motherboards supporting AM3 processors is confirmed.

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Intel's current chipsets(H67/P67) will support Ivy Bridge(which is a processor) with a bios upgrade, i.e it will remain socket compatibility(same socket, 1155). If you buy sandy bridge now you can later get Ivy bridge without mobo upgrade as ivy bridge will run on socket 1155.
Only the quad-cores will be supported by 1155. Maybe hexa-cores without HT.

8 cores and ahead are reserved for 2011.

Thats what I heard.

masterkd

Padawan
yup gamers will prefer a 2500k.

You people are overlooking AMD fanboys, who will buy 1100 even if it is not on par with SB.

obviously games will prefer 2500K..but after a bit of study i don't think there is too much difference in processing power between 1100T and 2500K..for gamers and allrounders 2500k is better..1100T is for enthusiast professionals..with CUDA 1100T performs better..on the other hand 2500K have quicksync which seems promising but i need to digg a bit more to comment on that!!

---------- Post added at 08:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 AM ----------

@Jas, even if AM3+ is not backward compatible none can blame AMD..they are keeping their sockets backward compatible for quite a while..now if they think loosing backward compatibility will help them to win over intel then they should do it!!

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
^^agreed. 1100t for professionals etc. and quick sync is fast and does quality transcoding while cuda is crap. even amd APP is much better in transcoding than cuda.

---------- Post added at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 AM ----------

masterkd it will be backward compatible with some features turned off.

tkin

Back to school!!
obviously games will prefer 2500K..but after a bit of study i don't think there is too much difference in processing power between 1100T and 2500K..for gamers and allrounders 2500k is better..1100T is for enthusiast professionals..with CUDA 1100T performs better..on the other hand 2500K have quicksync which seems promising but i need to digg a bit more to comment on that!!

---------- Post added at 08:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 AM ----------

@Jas, even if AM3+ is not backward compatible none can blame AMD..they are keeping their sockets backward compatible for quite a while..now if they think loosing backward compatibility will help them to win over intel then they should do it!!
Why 1100t is for enthusiasts? it does not support AVX(incase you are a video editing professional), can't win in memory benchmarks(incase you are a HPC programmer) so what good does it do?? Parallel workloads?? Single core throughput of 1100t is worse than 2500k, so even with 6 cores it can't win, and hence better stick with later one, 1100T is so last gen.

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

But here it reads 22nm.

I thought it was 22nm ;-)

ivy has two possibilities :

1. It will remain compatible with LGA 1155
or
2. Intel will release a entirely new chipset ( x78 anyone ? ) and socket based on socket 2011

now acc to this Intel has completed designing Ivy Bridge processors and is planning to showcase them during Computex Taiwan 2011 in June - so most of the chances it will use the existing LGA 1155 but you can never be sure what intel has to offer anyway ;-)
Yes, 22nm, and Ivy Bridge Quad cores will come to 1155, maybe the hexacores/octacores with ht will get a new chipset but they are meant for enthusiasts(or a rich guy with lot of cash around) and will cost 1000$, anyone that can afford those can get new mobos, we on the other hand do not have to change mobos.

lordirecto

In the zone
We need either Intel or AMD to start a processor production plant in India, because computing as of now in India is sky-rocketing(read performance computing). Any news about this?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Guys great news ;-)

Sandy bridge i7 2600k-16.200/-
Sandy bridge i7 2600-14900/-
sandy bridge i5 2500k-11250/-
sandy bridge i5 2500-10250/-
sandy bridge i5 2400-9700/-
sandy bridge i5 2300-9200/-
sandy bridge i3 2100-6000/-

Msi P67A-GD55 (B3)-STEPPING -9800/-
Intel Orignal Motherboard DH67BL-B3 STEPPING -5600/-

All are available at SMC

lordirecto

In the zone
^ Why are they decreasing the prices of the proccys? I thought all prices will be hiked as Japan has shut down its chip manufacturing companies!

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
The above tests are based on pure synthetics and are rather old tests. Its giving the age old results. Amd cpu's were always good in wheatstone and cinebench. But sandy is turning things around a bit. Amd's are really good in crunching floating point performance.
Wheatstone does that and dhrystone on the other hand combines integer and floating point operations. Intels are strong here.

Talk about video encoding, handbrake does not support the new AVX instruction set which the newer sandybridge cpu's support. They will be much faster when encoding apps support avx. Bulldozer will also support AVX.

So from overall performance point of view, both the 2500k and 2600k are better than amd 1090t and 1100t. They will be much better once the newer instruction sets come into play.

@ tkin

Buddy, if you read my above post, you will come to know that i posted exactly the same thing you wanted to say.Thanks for the hpc part buddy and that clearly explains terraflop computing(clearly in the enthusiast level).

But i guess they fell on deaf ears. People tend to blindly follow benchmarks here without drawing conclusions. For eg- "1100t better in cinebench so its good" and so on.

This is very very wrong imo. I am not pointing anybody but this tends to be a trend in this forum.

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Honestly, why would one go for an AM3 processor at the moment? No confirmation from AMD regarding whether AM3+ processors will work AM3 motherboards or not.

Sandy Bridge is the thing to go for till Bulldozer comes out.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Most of the chances AM3+ cpus will support AM3 mobos

However, far more interesting is that an MSI official has said, during the presentation, that by pairing together a Bulldozer processor with an 800-series motherboard users won't have to give up on any of the processor's newly introduced features.

Besides MSI, ASRock has also showcased two AM3+ board models that are based on 800-series AMD chipsets. These were called 890FX Deluxe5 and 890GX Extreme4 R2.0 and used the same black CPU socket design as MSI.

MSI and ASRock Present AM3 Bulldozer Motherboards Powered by AMD 800-series Chipsets - Softpedia

Indeed SB is the winner till bulldozer comes out but once it hit the market it will make some serious competiotion which will result in price reduction of some SB cpus ;-)

Top Bottom