Intel Haswell

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^ I think that is the issue with Ivy Bridge, don't think same issue is present with Haswell Processors.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
^^ I think that is the issue with Ivy Bridge, don't think same issue is present with Haswell Processors.
the article says , the same issue persists with haswell too.
The latest reports show that Intel’s latest chip, Haswell, also includes TIM instead of fluxless solder
that article seems scary. people purchases pc to make sure that no upgrade is required for the cpu and to last it 6-7 years without any problem(excluding gamers and enthusiasts). If the new cpu can not be even used for 3-5 years, WTH intel is doing? Their CPUs are SUPER COSTLY compared to amd counterparts and now comes with low quality. although it is to be proved that intel ivy /haswell will survive more than 3-5 years, I need amd to wake up on performance.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know this is from IB and with such over heating there's no wonder HW is plagued with same issue ... shame on Intel ! Those who got their hands on 2nd gen i5 and i7 cpus has one of the best chips in possession and as for AMD hope AMD is not going to take the same route and performance wise FX 8350 / FX 6300 performs well in their own price range.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^yup, Sandy Bridge overall is better. I don't see any reason of "upgrading" (downgrading).

ramakanta

Ambassador of Buzz
Intel Haswell-Unlocked & Unleashed

*s27.postimg.org/f2re2cw3j/unlocked.jpg

I am confusing about Unlocked & Unleashed . what does it Means .. :-(

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
let's keep it simple : most of the intel cpus have a locked multiplier ... it's needed to determine cpu speed for eg. i5 4570 has clock speed of 3.6 Ghz. The cpu has 36 multiplier and 100 FSB [ bclk ]. Now on a locked cpu such as i5 4570 you can't increase the multiplier to increase the cpu clock speed and Intel has mostly abandoned bclk oc on it's cpus [ unlike the older C2D and C2Qs ] due to several reasons. So if you want to oc an current gen Intel cpu to a good extent you need to buy a K variant cpu such as i5 4670K which has unlocked multiplier.

i5 4670k has 3.8Ghz clock speed but let's say this speed is not enough for you . So you can OC [ OC means overclocking the cpus clock speed ] it to say 4.5 Ghz just by increasing the multiplier just upto 45 from the default 38. With 4.5 Ghz clock speed the cpu will definetly perform much better than before. Of-course you'll need to have supporting motherboard, enough cooling and good PSu for OC.

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
i don't think Haswell is that bad, its a proven fact that it really is a bad Overclock-er than ivy and sandy and for obvious reasons.

ET--"Every process node shrink, and the accompanying die shrink, reduces overclock ability. This is just a fundamental restriction of physics: As components get smaller, not only does transistor density increase (consuming more power) but there is also less surface area to radiate heat...

If you take two theoretical 3.5GHz chips, the one with the larger die size is going to be easier to cool, and thus capable of reaching higher overclocks"

For Ivy Bridge and Haswell are both based on Intel’s 22nm FinFET process, but the integrated voltage regulator exacerbates the issue. It also seems that Haswell’s built-in thermal throttling is much more aggressive than Ivy Bridge:

Where the Core i7-3770K is happy to sit at 3.7GHz under full load at 90C, the Core i7-4770K throttles back to 3.5GHz within moments of starting Prime95"

said that, Its still undeniable Haswell is still the fastest processor that Intel has ever produced. For the same price as an Ivy Bridge chip, you get around 10% more performance.

The overclocking proposition might not be quite as enticing, but in reality Haswell’s 10% clock-for-clock advantage over Ivy Bridge means that a Haswell-based system at 4.5GHz should still beat out IVB at 4.9GHz which is also enthralling for mobile computing as it assures overall low system power consumption.

Innocent Lies

Broken In
So does this TIM pose a huge problem for overclocking or is it just a minor issue relating to the last bit of performance that can be eeked out of these CPUs?

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
So does this TIM pose a huge problem for overclocking or is it just a minor issue relating to the last bit of performance that can be eeked out of these CPUs?

Mate, its not like a "thin line" difference issue, there is a big fat line between OC'blity and otherwise. Simply at Clock to clock haswell performs better than ivy, ivy overclocks better and haswell sucks. Given this, u can see a whole line of unlocked and locked series of processors are there from Intel 4th Gen, let alone notebook CPUs, so obviously Intel is giving choice to OC'er do go ahead and do what they intend to, its just that they wont be as happy as with Ivy. So if oc'ing is your enthusiasm then you know what to choose, if not, there is no reason not to buy a Haswell.

Top Bottom