Intel Haswell

Cilus

laborare est orare
It consumes less power than Ivy Bridge but the heating issue isn't related to power consumption. From Haswell, the Voltage Regulation Module or VRM is integrated inside the Processor package from Motherboard. This is the 1st implementation of the process and probably has some minor glitches. Because of that the CPU runs hotter and overclocking beyond 4.5 GHz is very tough. Anandtech was able to pull it to 4.7 GHz but they also said it isn't recommended.

ankush28

Bazinga
hmm not much improvement.
My question is after the launch of Haswell which is expected in 20-30 days, the price of ivybridge and sandybridge will affect(will be cheaper?) in INDIA.

@ Cilus check my PM

guru_urug

iGoogle
I've been following Haswell reviews and leaks too. The most improvement is in idle power consumption. Even though the IPC improvement is not huge, new buyers should consider it to ensure an upgrade path. LGA1155 is dead now. I myself will probably upgrade to haswell once the prices settle down by the end of the year.

@Cilus: Could you shed some light on which current PSUs will be able to handle Haswell's C6,C7 low power states? Most people buy PSU's so that they can reuse them across builds. I dont want to spend 5k more on a compatible PSU.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
game benchmarks :

*www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-4770k_8.html#sect0
*www.hardocp.com/article/2013/06/01/intel_haswell_i74770k_ipc_overclocking_review/5#.UavMy9tQsUY

/Mod Edit/
Thread Merged

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Re: Intel Haswell Discussion Thread

^^ No need. By default the motherboard manufacturers will have that setting turned off in the bios.

This is the MSRP for Intel Z87 chipset motherboards for Haswell Processors from Asus:
Product Price Z87 Deluxe/ Dual : Rs.26,300/- (Including Taxes)
Product Price Z87 Deluxe: Rs. 21,950/-(Including Taxes)
Product Price Z87 Expert: Rs. 19,300/- (Including Taxes)
Product Price Z87 Pro: Rs. 16,700/- (Including Taxes)
Product Price Z87 Plus: Rs. 14,950/- (Including Taxes)
Product Price Z87 A: Rs. 13,150/- (Including Taxes)

Last edited:

rock2702

Padawan

^^ No need. By default the motherboard manufacturers will have that setting turned off in the bios.

This is the MSRP for Intel Z87 chipset motherboards for Haswell Processors from Asus:

Where did you get the prices from?

Cilus

laborare est orare

Thanks for the information. So we can use our existing PSU with a Haswell setup.

flyingcow

Shibe

It would be great if someone could post the estimated prices for the i5 series of haswell :)

Last edited:

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!

Intel India's PR at rare times flaunt their colourful attitude and silence treatment when I ask them about desktop processors.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

@topgear time to start a "haswell supported PSU list" thread?? :lol:

there should be one but wait a little for PSU manufacturers to make their own list first and I'm sure that all reputed PSU manufacturer's will list all the Haswell Ready, Haswell Compatible psus on their website .. as of now here goes the list for corsair and seasonic PSU's :

Blog - Haswell compatibility with Corsair power supplies
*www.anandtech.com/show/6953/sea-sonic-and-corsair-power-supplies-certified-for-haswell

Intel's next-generation quad-core processors benchmarked

Intel's next-generation quad-core processors benchmarked - Feature - Notebooks - CNET Asia

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Putting Intel Iris Graphics aside as they will only be seen in expensive mobile laptop... isn't this disappointing?

New socket and hardly 7% bump? lol.. Doesn't even overclock that well.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Battery life is important for laptops where haswell can win. At the price of iris pro graphics, i think one can get nvidia 750m occupied laptop. I dont find any improvement for desktop as the load power consumption is 11% more not much performance improvement.

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
IPC of core architecture is kind of reaching a saturation. Design wise, it does not differ that much from sandy bridge ,which was again a nehalem derivative.
Apps which will use, newer instruction sets like AVX2 and FMA3 will have a greater advantage. In existing apps, its within 7%. Open-cl performance has also increased a lot than before.

Its disappointing from a new launch point of view, but this what a lack of competition does. AMD is very much responsible for this.
Haswell will shine in a more multicore avatar with 6 cores or more. Only a serious competition from AMD's upcoming steamroller might force Intel to build such SKU, to counter AMD.
Without competition, we are just stuck with quadcores.

The performance of i7 3930k is an indication, how devastating an intel 6 core can be, if launched in the mainstream market. But the need hasn't arisen.

Top Bottom