heatsink at 4000+ RPM on 40-45c

clmlbx

Technomancer
my processor is listed in my signature running at stock speed with stock cooler .

my processor temp is 45c with just 10-15% load but fan runs at 4200+ RPM and it is very noisy....even at best it runs at 3200+ RPM ...

what might be the problem ?

dibya_kol

In the zone
it's summer !! Maintain good airflow, clean dusts from case and hitsink, re-apply TIM, if oced run at stock speed and check the result.

OP
clmlbx

clmlbx

Technomancer
^^ you didn't read my post clearly ..am running it on stock speed ..it dose not matter if its summer or not if processor temperature is low then fan should not run at so high rpm .

I have already cleaned it.

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
amd stock cooler(pared with athlon II & phenom II) uses a small fan, so less area. to properly remove heat the fan had to run faster.

if u want to go silent then buy sumthing like a 212evo or tx3

i have a 955BE @ stock @37C fan runs @ 4700+ rpm

but most of the time i have my headphone on so the noise from cpu fan doesn't bother me

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^ That's a misleading info buddy. I don't know about the Athlon II X4 but Phenom II does come with a great stock cooler, having 3 copper heat pipes.

I'm pretty sure the issue OP is facing is because of high amount of dust stored into the heat sink. clmlbx, remove the heatsink and clear it from dust with a blower. You can use a brush and spirit (available in medical shops) to clear the dust present in the corners. Use a good thermal paste from cooler master or other brands like Artic. Make sure you apply it properly over the CPU and it should create an uniform layer over the CPU top. Don't use too much, small amount will do fine.
I had the same issue couple of months back and used the same method described above. My Thermal pase is CM Ice Fusion. Now the idle temp is around 28 degree to 30 degree.

OP
clmlbx

clmlbx

Technomancer
I have cleaned heat sink a many times.. but I am using generic thermal paste.. but if processor temp is 45c with just 10-15% load so fan should not run at so high RPM..and it goes to 68-70c at full load..

OP
clmlbx

clmlbx

Technomancer
well I was thinking of changing thermal paste to some branded one.. so which to buy? I am running my comp with no ac room and always my load is on 100% as I use photoshop and other editing apps.

There should be an option of auto fan control in the BIOS. Make sure its enabled.

I already checked it is enabled.. Fan decides it RPM with Temp or what so ever and it does not run on full speed at all times

guys any solutions

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
^^ That's a misleading info buddy. I don't know about the Athlon II X4 but Phenom II does come with a great stock cooler, having 3 copper heat pipes.

well cilus the heatsink is great but the fan is puny compared to that.
if it had mislead sumbody, i am sorry for that :oops:
heatsink is quite great BTW but not the fan, only if they have provided sum way to put a 120mm fan there

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
undervolt the processor. Turn on Cool&Quite. Turn on Q fan.

i too have Athlon II X4 635 and it runs at 3k speed. all i get is a low humming sound even with side panels removed. else grab Cooler Master TX3.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
well I was thinking of changing thermal paste to some branded one.. so which to buy? I am running my comp with no ac room and always my load is on 100% as I use photoshop and other editing apps.

I already checked it is enabled.. Fan decides it RPM with Temp or what so ever and it does not run on full speed at all times

guys any solutions

get CM thermal Fusion 400 - price should be around 400-500 bucks.

OP
clmlbx

clmlbx

Technomancer
undervolt the processor. Turn on Cool&Quite. Turn on Q fan.

i too have Athlon II X4 635 and it runs at 3k speed. all i get is a low humming sound even with side panels removed. else grab Cooler Master TX3.

No I won't undervolt processor or so, I believe cool and quite is enabled in Bios, now what is Q Fan?

I have removed both side panels for cooling, Best it goes to 3200+ and most of time it is 4200+ also reaches 4700+ at peek

I am thinking of buying TX3, what will it cost, and hope it will be silent on 100% load and I will soon upgrade to phenom x4 so even on that it should be silent on 100% load. and other most important think it should not be push pin, I hate that locking system in Heat sink, I often break it..I love my current locking system, very easy to use,

DO I have to remove motherboard to install it(TX3)?

*www.pcstats.com/articleimages/200908/MA785GMTUD2H_4.jpg

get CM thermal Fusion 400 - price should be around 400-500 bucks.

thanks will get it ASAP

saswat23

Human Spambot
Nope, you can install Hyper TX3 without removing the mobo.
BTW wont the Antec Kuhler Box be a better choice for 1.5k? It has 8*Cu pipes and a large 120MM fan with dual heatsink.

OP
clmlbx

clmlbx

Technomancer
so first I like to know is that It is Normal for stock cooler, If I want better noise free cooling then I should buy aftermarket cooler like TX3.. I just need to confirm it will be silent on 100% load on my athlon and even on Phenom which soon I am going to upgrade to.

same 'problem' here, except im on a 955BE here, and my airflow sucks

even my airflow sucks, frankly speaking my room is in such a way as there is no direct ventilation

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Just adding my thoughts here. I had problem with over heating with Phenom II.

Major Culprit was Dust & Dead Case Fans. Also the default Thermal Compound of AMD is sucky. That thing acted like a Fevicol and glued processor to HS.

So check the above pts.

Also I am using CM Hyper EVO 212. Its noise level is WAY to low than default AMD Fan and also cools better 6-12 Deg less at lesser RPM.

Also use a 2 fan config for Push Pull Flow for Case. 2 120 mm well placed fans are enough.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ clmlbx - if you are planning to get a aftermarket cpu cooler then don't buy a TiM - just get the Hyper 212 Evo - it will perform good when you upgrade to PII X4 and you will get decent amount and quality of TiM with it for free ;-)

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
in the begining of this march my temps(Phenom II 955BE) were going 55deg c+ at idle.

so i opened & cleaned the heastsink dust , now my idle temps are 37-38 c & hardly goes above 50c at load

PS : i am on stock cooler

OP
clmlbx

clmlbx

Technomancer
I clean Heatsink every couple of months, I did cleaned heatsink, max couple of days before I started this thread..

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ check Q fan option in bios. it'll make the fan spin at less speed. undervolt is fine. i have done it and temperature reduced by 5degree.

Top Bottom