HDD Crisis Was Fake: Seagate and Western Digital Post Big Profits

Terabyte

In the zone
Hard drive manufacturers Seagate Technology and Western Digital have reported great financial results after such a prolonged hard disk drive “crisis.”
Source -> HDD Crisis Was Fake: Seagate and Western Digital Post Big Profits

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
If true, doesnt that qualify as fraud?

I mean under some section of the law that prohibits creating artificial demand. I remember reading something like that in an economics class.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good thing is that SSD prices are coming below $1 per GB.

Regarding that report, sales figure during the last 6 months (the crisis period) vis-a-vis last year will be more helpful to get the real picture.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
No way, but much cheaper for sure. OCZ Vertex 3 120gb is now 8.8k at Amazon all inclusive. This is awesome value.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
No way, but much cheaper for sure. OCZ Vertex 3 120gb is now 8.8k at Amazon all inclusive. This is awesome value.

Impressive stuff, my OCZ Vertex 2 60GB set me back by 6.5k 7-8 months ago. Hopefully SSDs have further price drops.

ssdivisiongermany1933

Still in war with allies
it doesn't matter at all whether crisis was fake or true , the price are still 100% high and will remain at least for a year or year half

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
HDD sales dropped. SSD sales was bumped big time. SSD = really expensive and thus manufacturers get big profit from SSD. so you can't just say this HDD crisis was a big drama (in the latter stages) by just looking at their profit.

Impressive stuff, my OCZ Vertex 2 60GB set me back by 6.5k 7-8 months ago. Hopefully SSDs have further price drops.

in the CPU arena Intel is driving the price up. In the SSD market, Intel is driving the price down. strange !!!

we found out that Seagate even managed to increase its HDD shipments with around 2% when compared to the previous year. Where exactly was that “crisis?”
about this line, Seagate now adds Samsung HDD to its line of HDDs. Samsung is more famous in the laptop space than desktop. So if they are counting all sort of HDD, this figure can be true.

tkin

Back to school!!
Seagate is the fake here, compare WD's last year vs this year and do the same for seagate, you'll know what I am saying, in the flood only WD was harmed, nothing happened to seagate, but they still increased the prices anyway and dropped the warranty.

mitraark

Decrepit
Nope , i have bought a 500 GB HDD for Rs 1.75k after much bargaining.

This news , i don't know whether to be mad for the obvious reason , or be hopeful that now the price might finnaly come down to the point it was a year ago.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, it was at that level. And 1TB was 2.6k before price went northwards.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
I donot think they were ever this low. The lowest I found online with all tax at that time was 1.9k :wink:

was available at kolkata for that price. online prices were high.

Yeah, it was at that level. And 1TB was 2.6k before price went northwards.

golden days. now high price, less warranty. and we don't have an alternate. SSD are out of reach for normal peoples. and even if its price come down, its not reliable like HDD.

toad_frog09

Swimming, eh??
Golden days: I got a wd green 500gb at rs 1400. Locally.
I wish i'd bought ton of them and later sold it on ebay at profit once crysis started.
:p

Top Bottom