Graphics Cards related queries here.

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

Well to me all it means is the cards in "MY BUDGET" are going to get price cuts. :D

clear_lot

Journeyman

^ lol
yeah. :grin::grin:

cards in "my" budget will hopefully get cheaper.
btw, what are the cards you have set eyes on?

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United

HD6850 And HD6870.

They are not getting cheaper. Hopefully something else will and force me to buy that. :D

Piyush

Lanaya

hmm....570 on the shelves now....
benchmark results were quite good....
but power consumption is still an issue for nvidia

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

Gtx 570 is one hell of a performer. It actually what the gtx 480 should have been. In benchmarks, well it even challenges a 6850cf and overtakes it in some cases.

Highly recommended for a fast single gpu setup.
Amd cayman has to be very good to topple nvidia's applecart. Only time will tell & the competition will definitely force price cuts which is good for us.:grin:

For antilles nvidia is preparing the gtx 595 which will be out at the same time here and there.

Team green is back in business

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United

^
460 is slightly better in performance than 570, but 570 would be better as it is single.

As 570 looks like a optimized rebranded 480.

@ clear_lot

Got a link
Introduction - Performance - GeForce GTX 580 vs. GeForce GTX 460 1GB SLI | [H]ard|OCP

460 SLI is competing quite well with 580. So should be better than 570.

clear_lot

Journeyman

^ yeah. though i myself prefer benches at 1920x1080 with no aa and 16xaf as i consider this setting to be the most common out there. but to each his own i guess.

gtx570vs 2x460 also available at NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 570: Filling In The Gaps - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

damngoodman999

damnbadman666

^ yeah. though i myself prefer benches at 1920x1080 with no aa and 16xaf as i consider this setting to be the most common out there. but to each his own i guess.

gtx570vs 2x460 also available at NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 570: Filling In The Gaps - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Those Price On GTX 480 is wrong still its $450 , GTX 570 should be more than 20K in INDIA i hope so ??

Still HD 6870 wins the Best Midrange card for 14K !

clear_lot

Journeyman

^ i am VERY confused between MSI 6870 @15.5K and zotac gtx470 @ 15.2k. SMC prices.

i expect 570 to be around 20~21k in india, the same price at which 470 was launched.

Cilus

laborare est orare

There are lots of hype regarding GTX 570. but really is that card so much revolutionary? Forget about the G110 architecture, then it is just a GTX480 with better heat design and smaller TDP. It has more SPs to perform better. But look at HD 6870. It has SMs of a HD 5830, i.e. 1120 but with better TDP and performance over HD 5850 with 1440 SP. So there are some optimization.
I think AMD's new 69XX series is going to be something interesting.

In fact just think of a HD 6870 with 1600 Stream processor, surely it will challenge even GTX580, no new architecture required.

damngoodman999

damnbadman666

^ i am VERY confused between MSI 6870 @15.5K and zotac gtx470 @ 15.2k. SMC prices.

i expect 570 to be around 20~21k in india, the same price at which 470 was launched.

even more than 21K will be around 23K , HD 6950 approx price listed on FUDZILLA is $320 also its par with GTX 570 . always Nvidia doing major mistakes on their price is too high compared ATI Gpu's

Wait for HD 69XX :)

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

There are lots of hype regarding GTX 570. but really is that card so much revolutionary? Forget about the G110 architecture, then it is just a GTX480 with better heat design and smaller TDP. It has more SPs to perform better. But look at HD 6870. It has SMs of a HD 5830, i.e. 1120 but with better TDP and performance over HD 5850 with 1440 SP. So there are some optimization.
I think AMD's new 69XX series is going to be something interesting.

In fact just think of a HD 6870 with 1600 Stream processor, surely it will challenge even GTX580, no new architecture required.

I think that hype is true afterall. The gf110 has got a few tricks in its sleeve to ensure its graphical prowess.

Firstly there are transistor level changes in the gf110 die for improved tdp and efficiency. Secondly gf110 dies incorporates some more architectural changes like FP16 filtering happening in one clock cycle rather than two in gf100. Ofcourse we have seen it gtx460 and boy what an improvement it was.

Talking about efficiency, gf110 incorporates Z-culling efficiency which allows the core to discard pixels which are not required to be rendered in a scene and goes for others.

We all know the tesselation power of gf110 so its also a consideration. Thats why the 570 trumps the 480 in many cases despite having lower ROP partitions , memory bus and video memory.

The above things make the gtx570 so sweet and prepares it for the upcoming cayman parts a.k.a 6970 & 6950.

Tachyon1986

In the zone

The GTX 570 looks interesting , except for it's power consumption (typical Nvidia :p ) which really puts me off as I don't want to buy a new PSU (my VX450W still has a few years left in it) . Think I'll go for the HD6870..assuming it gets a minor price drop.

Last edited:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

Can vx450 power a 6870 safely. I am asking cause i have that same rock solid psu:grin:

vishalg

AMD Fanboy

hey guys
has anyone bought stuff from smc international??
plz share your experiences, good or bad

it only offers msi and sapphire gpus
am considering to buy msi r6850 from them

Cilus

laborare est orare

I think that hype is true afterall. The gf110 has got a few tricks in its sleeve to ensure its graphical prowess.

Firstly there are transistor level changes in the gf110 die for improved tdp and efficiency. Secondly gf110 dies incorporates some more architectural changes like FP16 filtering happening in one clock cycle rather than two in gf100. Ofcourse we have seen it gtx460 and boy what an improvement it was.

Talking about efficiency, gf110 incorporates Z-culling efficiency which allows the core to discard pixels which are not required to be rendered in a scene and goes for others.

We all know the tesselation power of gf110 so its also a consideration. Thats why the 570 trumps the 480 in many cases despite having lower ROP partitions , memory bus and video memory.

The above things make the gtx570 so sweet and prepares it for the upcoming cayman parts a.k.a 6970 & 6950.

Whatever you mentioned is the architecture change from GF100 to GF110 and already present in GTX 460 right? That is my doubt over here that leaving the architecture inside, is there a major performance increase from GTX 480? The answer is no. There are definitely other improvements like cooling, power consumption, but nothing in performance.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

The gtx 570 performs on par or even a bit better than 480 and that too its not a flagship part. Isn't that enough to stand its ground over its competitors. It has everything we would have wanted fermi to be like and more . Gf100 was a major architecture change from nvidia since the g80(8800gtx).

This time it is just being fine tuned and the results are very promising. More parts will follow including the dual gpu based gtx595. Only the launch of cayman and antilles will prove whether they have enough muscle to oust gf110.

clear_lot

Journeyman

most of the reviews are not recommending the 570.
not because its bad BUT because it would be wiser to wait for 69xx and then buy whichever is the faster/cheaper/bang for buck product.

and really, third world countries like India arent the market Nvidia/ati have in mind when designing/pricing/marketing their products.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

hey guys
has anyone bought stuff from smc international??
plz share your experiences, good or bad

it only offers msi and sapphire gpus
am considering to buy msi r6850 from them
I ordered Dell monitor from SMC. Just ask for a sealed box cuz my monitor was not sealed with original dell tapes.

You may be charged octroi (in maharshtra) or other value added taxes, just get it confirmed before.

Top Bottom