Graphics Cards related queries here.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

GF110 fermi a.k.a gtx 580 has launched. Reviews say its the fastest single gpu card out there and is thermally cooler and consumes less power than its predecessor the gtx 480 and is some 30% faster. Having full 512 cuda and polymorph engines built in shadercores with improved tesselation , it sure is a performance leader and is close to 5970 and even beats it in some benchmarks considering its dual gpu. Even sli scales extremely well than cfx and the performance gap is more than double and that is a testament to team green.

Now nvidia can think of a dual gpu based on gf110 considering its lower power consumption and lesser heat to take on the amd's upcoming Antilles or 6990 and considering nvidia's tesselation prowess it would have an upper hand in upcoming games which use this technique to achieve realism.

Check these out

GeForce GTX 580 And GF110: The Way Nvidia Meant It To Be Played : GeForce GTX 580 Goes To Eleven

GeForce GTX 580 review

But amd is not goin to sit quiet and its cayman and antilles will sure up the ante with improved tesselation and is going surely be VFM which is better for consumers like us.

ssb1551

Technomancer

^^Must say!!Ver Well written!!:doublethumb:
Any idea when will it hit d Indian market?

hdknitro

bringing the world down

Why so much buzz about 580, It ain't be in Indian markets till next year. And by that time AMD would be their with a VFM card with 69XX and 7XXX series. Just wait and see.
By the way I think I would be buying Sapphire HD6870. Will let everybody know when I get it

6xxx aint all bad.

*h-2.abload.de/img/unti3tl3e27zkf.gif

here's a link to my earlier post of 6870 benchmarks - *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-components-configurations/5193-all-graphics-cards-related-queries-here-417.html#post1295402

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

well Antilles is delayed: AMD delays Antilles dual-GPU board. this maybe true as i hard speculations regarding low yield on the GPUs to be used on Antilles.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

Why so much buzz about 580, It ain't be in Indian markets till next year. And by that time AMD would be their with a VFM card with 69XX and 7XXX series. Just wait and see.
By the way I think I would be buying Sapphire HD6870. Will let everybody know when I get it

Well nvidia's dual gpu will compete with 69XX and talk about future nvidia's keppler and maxwell gpu's will pave way into realism along with amd's 7 series or whatever at that time.

6870 is a great card to buy and is of course VFM.

hdknitro

bringing the world down

The market is all about getting the VFM card in India, and if that remains the majority case than AMD will always have the upper hand. And Amd cards are more silent and cooler too. And if anyone want to buy a BIG card i.e on everthing big like performance, memory, speed and money than they would still buy an AMD. Check out the HD5970 4 GB

Sapphire Toxic HD 5970 4GB Review Page 3 - Specifications & Features - Overclockers Club

Sapphire Toxic HD 5970 4GB Review Page 6 - Testing: Metro 2033 - Overclockers Club

Even the 2GB version is good. And what if crossfire it?

pranav_p60

Broken In

I'm planing to buy a graphics card for my system.

Specs:
ASUS M2N-SLI
AMD X2 4200
2GB DDR2 RAM

Which is the best card ill get around 5k?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

HD5670 512MB from sapphire.

Another good one to look for is 9800GT 512MB though you will need a good psu for this.

BTW, what PSu do you have - brand name and wattage ?

super64

Broken In

for around 5k, you can get a nvidia gt430.
ati card - radeon hd 5570.
if you can spend 7k, get a nvidia gts450 or ati radeon hd5750.

tkin

Back to school!!

The market is all about getting the VFM card in India, and if that remains the majority case than AMD will always have the upper hand. And Amd cards are more silent and cooler too. And if anyone want to buy a BIG card i.e on everthing big like performance, memory, speed and money than they would still buy an AMD. Check out the HD5970 4 GB

Sapphire Toxic HD 5970 4GB Review Page 3 - Specifications & Features - Overclockers Club

Sapphire Toxic HD 5970 4GB Review Page 6 - Testing: Metro 2033 - Overclockers Club

Crossfiring a HD5970 would be bad idea because, beyond 2 gpus crossfire(and sli) scales poorly, with 2 5970s you would not get more than 250-300% performance over HD5870, i.e even when you have a powerful cpu like i79x(any other cpu like i5 does not have qpi) to scale properly.

Also note that crossfire(and sli) is a hassle, when new games come out sometimes you may have to wait for weeks before application profiles are released for it to enable crossfire, also for ati disabling catalyst ai disables crossfire, a bummer cause some games have issues with cat ai(like borderlands), so people pay extra to buy single gpu setups.

PS: HD5970 4GB is priced at 1k$, while HD5970 2G sells for below 500$(at new egg website).

Well nvidia's dual gpu will compete with 69XX and talk about future nvidia's keppler and maxwell gpu's will pave way into realism along with amd's 7 series or whatever at that time.

6870 is a great card to buy and is of course VFM.
6870 is not good to buy, specially now, not unless they fix that tessellation unit, i don't care whether high levels of tessellation is not useful for games, amd touted their 5xxx lineup with tessellation and now when nVidia takes the lead they say tessellation is not needed, unless amd cards perform equally in terms of tessellation with nVidia(which are standard dx11 code, not junk like physx) amd is not worth buying, now lets see what HD69xx brings to the table.

Last edited:

ajeeshys

Journeyman

*uploadphotos.co.in/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Untitled.png

hi guys my doubt is (pl see my image)
i ve oly 2 gb ram
512 mb graphics
it shows total available graphics as 1279mb!
dedicated system memory as 0 mb.
is 1279mb available from my RAM? If so will it use this memory always or only wen it s needed?
can someone clear my doubts!

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

SLI is superior to CFX thanks to better driver support.
By the way there is nothin like only amd is VFM. Nvidia's gtx 460 is great vfm now than radeon 5850 and two gtx 460 in sli can perform on par or beat the 5970 in several benchmarks. Thats the beauty of SLI.

Nvidia's dual gpu solution will take care of 69xx series which will be a refined 5970 with improved tesselation and stereoscopic 3d support.

Talk about 5970 4gb, its not at all value for money as one can sli two Gtx 580's which will decimate 5970 4gb at the same pricepoint.

tkin

Back to school!!

SLI is superior to CFX thanks to better driver support.
By the way there is nothin like only amd is VFM. Nvidia's gtx 460 is great vfm now than radeon 5850 and two gtx 460 in sli can perform on par or beat the 5970 in several benchmarks. Thats the beauty of SLI.

Nvidia's dual gpu solution will take care of 69xx series which will be a refined 5970 with improved tesselation and stereoscopic 3d support.

Talk about 5970 4gb, its not at all value for money as one can sli two Gtx 580's which will decimate 5970 4gb at the same pricepoint.
SLI is not more superior to crossfire, specially now that crossfire scales pretty well, only advantage of sli is that it has out of the box support for most games, ati on the other hand requires application profile updates, which suck by the way.

HD6970 will most likely be beat by GTX580 by 5-10%, I wonder how nVidia will counter HD6990, if they put two HD6950 gpus in them(I think HD6970x2 is not possible due to pcie power limit of 300w, HD5870 draws 188w at load, so it was possible for HD5970 to be built, but HD6970 has tdp of 225w at least).

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist

@vickybat

the pricing of 5970 2GB and GTX580 is same..1.e..499$.
therefore 5970 2GB is more vfm as compared to GTX580.
but 5970 4GB will cost 1000$ making it utter waste. 2 * GTX580 is a nice option there.
but SLI and CF value of these high end cards becomes useful only at very high resolutions.

moreover HD6850 performs better than GTX460.

but there is nothing that can beat the value of 6870 CF as it outperforms 580 and 5970 at lower price..

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!

hi guys my doubt is (pl see my image)
i ve oly 2 gb ram
512 mb graphics
it shows total available graphics as 1279mb!
dedicated system memory as 0 mb.
is 1279mb available from my RAM? If so will it use this memory always or only wen it s needed?
can someone clear my doubts!
Because of WDDM.

Basically, from wikipedia:

Virtualized video memory:

In the context of graphics, virtualization means that individual processes (in userland) cannot see the memory of adjacent processes even by means of insertion of forged commands in the command stream. WDDM drivers allow video memory to be virtualized , and video data to be paged out of video memory into system RAM. In case the video memory available turns out to be insufficient to store all the video data and textures, currently unused data is moved out to system RAM or to the disk. When the swapped out data is needed, it is fetched back. Virtualization could be supported on previous driver models (such as the XP Driver Model) to some extent, but was the responsibility of the driver, instead of being handled at the runtime level.

Just like your virtual memory(pagefile) is shown in windows as say 5GB+ while you have say 2gb ram, in windows vista and 7 graphics memory is also virtualized.

Think of this as pagefile for gpu, and don't worry, not much of your system ram is used in this process and when you run demanding tasks ths memory is freed, that limit shown is the max amount of ram to be used as a gpu pagefile, but usually not more than 200-300mb is used.

Top Bottom