Graphics Cards related queries here.

vizkid2005

In the zone
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

To use tessellation properly game engines must be re written from scratch, like unreal engine 4, and since consoles are stuck @ dx9 era that won't happen till 2012 at least, so dx11 will end up another halo product like dx10 was(if microsoft stick to schedule and releases win 8 with DX12 on 2012).

NO point ...
The world is ENDING in 2012 .... :grin:

God damn those Lamington road dealers !!!
They still haven`t got the 6870 !!!
Say it`ll take 10 more days to come ....
My build get delayed some way or the other !! aargh !!!

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!

^^
You telling me that there is hardly any significant image quality difference between Dx9 vs. Dx11. It causes quite a bit of depth and angular adjustments. Not saying your friend was lying, but it depends on resolution and attention to detail.

The reason Crysis is still the best champion (and runner up) in the graphics department because the engine renders everything in real time. Plus way back when launched it had occlusion mapping and DoF, RToD built in in.

Check out the difference here. Polygon count goes up vastly when rendered on Dx11.
I was talking about metro 2033, not dirt 2, my issue with dx11 is mostly with tessellation, and it may look good on still screenshots as you are focusing on a particular image for a long time but in game when screens are rendered at say 30fps you see absolutely minimal visual difference, I can guarantee you that if you play metro on DX11 and DX9(or 10) you won't see any benifits from tessellation, maybe a little IQ difference due to AO(ambient occlusion).

If you look at the images in your link you'll see that in dirt 2 the dx9 shots are a bit blurred out, that's due to ao, not tessellation, tess was originally designed to improve the performance on console games, not increase quality.

A recent example is lost planet 2, it uses tess for water but the water quality nowhere matches that of crysis, direct3d 9 was a massive increment for the directx api but direct3d 10 and 11 are just minimum upgrades, we are done with image quality improvements, rasterization has met its end, unless real time ray tracing comes iq will not improve.

And you said dx11 increases angular adjustments and depth, it was already available for dx9 and 10, 11 does not add any new feature that increases those features.

Now I won't argue about this anymore but here I have an excellent article related to the USEFULNESS of DirectX 11:
The State of DirectX 11 - Image Quality & Performance - HotHardware

If you want a quick rundown of the article:
In terms of image quality, the new effects and graphical tricks we saw with DX11 added some extra realism not available in DirectX 9. Effects like screen-space ambient occlusion, depth of field, and tessellation really brought the graphics up a notch, adding extra atmosphere and realism to games like Aliens vs Predator, Bad Company 2 and Dirt 2. However, these effects were generally quite subtle and are nothing as dramatic as the image quality changes brought on by DirectX 8 or 9 in the past, which both offered major milestones in shader technology. It's also worth noting that, except for tessellation, these effects are all technically possible without DirectX 11 and compute shaders, as proven by Crysis.

DirectX 11's hardware tessellation and DirectCompute API have great potential, but currently they're being used to implement effects we've seen before since Crysis was introduced. While that certainly doesn't sound very impressive, keep in mind that although the graphical effects are nothing new, DirectCompute now makes them much more efficient

PS: SSAO which is touted as a DX11 feature was used by crysis with dx9, so its old tech, dx11 makes the coding easier. DX11 is all about efficiency and not image quality, sadly developers are screwing this up, all DX11 games till date(except BFBC2) have their performance lowered(metro 2033) when run in dx11, that's NOT supposed to happen.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

NO point ...

God damn those Lamington road dealers !!!

jsut go and get GTX480 :)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

To use tessellation properly game engines must be re written from scratch, like unreal engine 4, and since consoles are stuck @ dx9 era that won't happen till 2012 at least, so dx11 will end up another halo product like dx10 was(if microsoft stick to schedule and releases win 8 with DX12 on 2012).

^^
Tessellation is available on PC versions. I think METRO was doing it. Provided you run it on Dx11 codepath.

i think tkin mentioned one important point. will games be made with 2 different engines? like PC version have a DX11 engine so they can use tessellation whereas PS/XBOX based on some old engine like Quake III engine or the Unreal Engine? if game developers start doing this, well think yourself what maybe the outcome....

so i not sure in which direction this discussion goes but tessellation will take time before mass adoption. whole console gaming community as well as DX9/10 gamers will be against it.

Metro 2033 tessellation does absolutely nothing, more over it only applies tess to the characters

maybe cause its first game to use tessellation. maybe.

NO point ...

:lol: still 2yrs+ left (if world ends on 31st dec 2012 @ 11:59).

^^Patience is the key to success!!

looks good only in 19th century books :evil: not saying just WAIT. but more you wait, more you'll be forced to wait.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

I was talking about metro 2033, not dirt 2, my issue with dx11 is mostly with tessellation, and it may look good on still screenshots as you are focusing on a particular image for a long time but in game when screens are rendered at say 30fps you see absolutely minimal visual difference, I can guarantee you that if you play metro on DX11 and DX9(or 10) you won't see any benifits from tessellation, maybe a little IQ difference due to AO(ambient occlusion).

If you look at the images in your link you'll see that in dirt 2 the dx9 shots are a bit blurred out, that's due to ao, not tessellation, tess was originally designed to improve the performance on console games, not increase quality.

A recent example is lost planet 2, it uses tess for water but the water quality nowhere matches that of crysis, direct3d 9 was a massive increment for the directx api but direct3d 10 and 11 are just minimum upgrades, we are done with image quality improvements, rasterization has met its end, unless real time ray tracing comes iq will not improve.

And you said dx11 increases angular adjustments and depth, it was already available for dx9 and 10, 11 does not add any new feature that increases those features.

Now I won't argue about this anymore but here I have an excellent article related to the USEFULNESS of DirectX 11:
The State of DirectX 11 - Image Quality & Performance - HotHardware

If you want a quick rundown of the article:

PS: SSAO which is touted as a DX11 feature was used by crysis with dx9, so its old tech, dx11 makes the coding easier. DX11 is all about efficiency and not image quality, sadly developers are screwing this up, all DX11 games till date(except BFBC2) have their performance lowered(metro 2033) when run in dx11, that's NOT supposed to happen.

Crysis stresses on open world environments but metro is kind of doom 3 like.
But tesselation is really gonna notch up realism. I dont know if battlefield bad company 2 uses tesselation or not but its characters look better than crysis. They are say Uncharted 2 like.

I guess crysis 2 will use this codepath and will surpass crysis.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

@Tkin,
Its not that I want to have the last say here, but I have gamed on Dx11 and for sure found the affects better. It is not too fair to compare Crysis to a Dx11. Totally different era [in gaming terms]. Dx11 (tessellation) might not have seen the clear light of day yet, but I think it will come. Even the article you quoted mentions the same in the last paragraph...!
:)

super64

Broken In

HD 6850 and GTX 460 1G are almost on par. But HD 6850 has a slight edge in Specifications.

And yes, CUDA will help encoding your videos, but ATI has their own Avivo under the sleeve for media encoding. .

ati radeon 6850 consumes less power than gtx 460. 460 needs 2 pcie connectors, while 6850 needs only one.
avivo is a joke. its the ati equivalent of nvidia's purevideo tech, which no one uses anyway...

why dont u buy it online?

Last edited:

vizkid2005

In the zone

dude buying online will also take 5 -6 days for shipping ....
Rather I wuld just wait n see .........

mohiuddin

Journeyman

@Tkin,
Its not that I want to have the last say here, but I have gamed on Dx11 and for sure found the affects better. It is not too fair to compare Crysis to a Dx11. Totally different era [in gaming terms]. Dx11 (tessellation) might not have seen the clear light of day yet, but I think it will come. Even the article you quoted mentions the same in the last paragraph...!
:)

i agree.besides dx11 have d.o.f.In metro2033 with advanced DOF it looks more clear & detailed up2 more distance.

GF110 fermi a.k.a gtx 580 has launched. Reviews say its the fastest single gpu card out there and is thermally cooler and consumes less power than its predecessor the gtx 480 and is some 30% faster. Having full 512 cuda and polymorph engines built in shadercores with improved tesselation , it sure is a performance leader and is close to 5970 and even beats it in some benchmarks considering its dual gpu. Even sli scales extremely well than cfx and the performance gap is more than double and that is a testament to team green.

Now nvidia can think of a dual gpu based on gf110 considering its lower power consumption and lesser heat to take on the amd's upcoming Antilles or 6990 and considering nvidia's tesselation prowess it would have an upper hand in upcoming games which use this technique to achieve realism.

Check these out

GeForce GTX 580 And GF110: The Way Nvidia Meant It To Be Played : GeForce GTX 580 Goes To Eleven

GeForce GTX 580 review

But amd is not goin to sit quiet and its cayman and antilles will sure up the ante with improved tesselation and is going surely be VFM which is better for consumers like us.

it will be 15~30% not 30%.n,d card is cooler not bcoz of effeciant gpu but of vapor cooler.though,it hit 100c with older furmark version.in newer furmark its power consumption is checked by both hardware&software.and its die size shrinked 9mmsq. only being 520mmsq.it is not comparable with hd5870 bcoz it is 40% faster than d later but,5870 sizes 331mmsq.with giant size die amd would be able 2 produce more effeciant gpu even with their 5000series.but, for d time being 580 is a good card with better tesselation along z-cull technique,adaptive fan control etc.

Last edited:

ssb1551

Technomancer

^^Dude same post in "Post ur latest purchase" thread!!Anyways congrats here too:D..

hdknitro

bringing the world down

Thanks SSB again, i asked in the thread earlier about 6870, that is why I posted it here too.

ssb1551

Technomancer

I think clear_lot meant both d stuffs!!
@ clear_lot - hdk bot both d products frm SMC n let him reply d pricin part!!

kaudey

Journeyman

Had a q. Can anyone tell me wht is the improvement gone in the 6xxx series card over the 5xxx series?

ssb1551

Technomancer

^^No improvements frm gamin point of view of 6850 n 6870 over their predecessors.But they consume less power than their correspondin 5xxx series cards!!5850 better thn 6850 n d same for 5870!!

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United

Actually 6850 is not supposed to replace 5850. ATI have a new naming/numbering scheme.

Top Bottom