Graphics Cards related queries here.

H

Hakimtai

Re: Graphics Cards related "general" queries here.

Hello Friends...........

I am new here...& Wanted Some advice on purchase of a graphic Card My current Config. Is
Processor: Intel Core 2 duo E 6750 2.66 Ghz
Motherboard: Intel DG 31 PR
Memory:2 Gb 1x1
Graphic card : gigabyte 512 mb DDR2 8600 gt
HD: 320 GB
power Supply: intex 420 watt
I wanted to purchase a new card with in 10k Ati or nivida should i purchase them now or wait for a while. the card should b able to run most games in present day market will good sittings......Also i wanted to ask that I am not able to overclock 8600 gt.....Default Core is at 575 If i tweak it with any utility.....the system seems to have no problem until i start a game......with in a few minute's of game play the game get hanged n i have to restart my system................please HELP !!!!

THANKS in advanced

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.

@vineet369: ur mobo has AGP slots....& AGP cards r rare to find now days...goodluck
for searching those Cards

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

Well, I may not upgrade. I kinda planning to buy a completely new rig. So I wanted to make my old one on par to fulfill at least the basic needs of today's.
My Mobo is, Mercury P1845Z. Below is the screenshot of what CPU-Z shows.
Also, I don't know, if I have AGP slot. Since I am totally n00b in h/w stuff. A pic of what AGP slot looks like, would be very useful. :oops:

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachments/software-q/4132d1298131939-new-monitor-unable-show-correct-resolution-motherboard.png

I really can't find if your mobo hass AGP slot or not and there's no opint in investing for PCI gfx cards.

BTW, how many expansion slots your mobo has - are there any single slot which is longer than the rest of the slots. See thsi pic and it should give you an clear idea :

*attachments.techguy.org/attachments/130906d1209212596/a455-1056cout.jpg

BTW, I would strongly recommend to wait for your next rig and invest the money for a gfx card for the new rig anyway.

Hello Friends...........

I am new here...& Wanted Some advice on purchase of a graphic Card My current Config. Is
Processor: Intel Core 2 duo E 6750 2.66 Ghz
Motherboard: Intel DG 31 PR
Memory:2 Gb 1x1
Graphic card : gigabyte 512 mb DDR2 8600 gt
HD: 320 GB
power Supply: intex 420 watt
I wanted to purchase a new card with in 10k Ati or nivida should i purchase them now or wait for a while. the card should b able to run most games in present day market will good sittings......

THANKS in advanced

get a HD5770 @ ~7.5k along with a FSP Saga/Corsair CX400 @ ~2.4K

ajai5777

Youngling

What would be the thickness of sapphire HD 6850 ? Will it be more than HD 5670 ?.My sound card is placed very close to my HD 5670, if HD 6850 is thicker than that, I'll have to remove that.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

^^6850 has a double slot cooler as opposed to the single slot cooler in a 5670. Ofcourse its thicker.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

I really can't find if your mobo hass AGP slot or not and there's no opint in investing for PCI gfx cards.

Oh Yeah.. looks like I DO have an AGP slot :razz:
Screenshot of my mobo:

*i56.tinypic.com/nclbuo.jpg
(btw, fan was running when I shot this. Just showing off capability of my digi-cam :p )

Yes, I can see the AGP written below the slot. Silly me. :oops:

BTW, I would strongly recommend to wait for your next rig and invest the money for a gfx card for the new rig anyway.

A new rig now would cost, >15K, while I can address my immediate issue (of watching 720p vids) in much less for now. So pls, suggest me a card, that would suit my purpose..

Thanks.

Cilus

laborare est orare

Get the cheapest one, if you ask my suggestion...Sapphire HD 6870 @ 12.6K. It is a very cool card and the default cooler is very efficient. You can overclock it without any issue to get extra performance.
I'm overclocking my reference model to 970 MHz (standard: 900) to GPU core and 1100 MHz (standard: 1000) for the memory without any issue.

Also Sapphire VaporX model is available @ 13.6K. But by paying just 1K extra you can get a HD 6950 1 GB. So better stick with the Reference Sapphire model or get a HD 6950 1 GB

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

^^ try to find AGP version of 8400GS/HD4350

After searching for 8400 in smcinternational.in, this is what I found:
Zotac GeForce 8400 GS 1GB DDR II

Would the above card will do? Since I have DDR 1 RAM, so I was thinking DDR II GFX wont do. Is that speculation true?

As far as AGP in concerned, I found this one, in the title of a card:
Zotac GeForce 6200A 512 MB AGP-Out Of Stock

Its just that this one is Out Of Stock! :(

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

Would the above card will do? Since I have DDR 1 RAM, so I was thinking DDR II GFX wont do. Is that speculation true?
If a card fits in a PCIe slot or an AGP slot. It works.

And I'd say there is no point in getting an AGP card now. It is just not worth it.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

If a card fits in a PCIe slot or an AGP slot. It works.

And I'd say there is no point in getting an AGP card now. It is just not worth it.

But I can't know beforehand, if a card "fits" into the AGP slot, now, can I?
Also, will a GFX card with DDRII memory be able to run on a system, running on DDRI ram of 1 GB?

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

But I can't know beforehand, if a card "fits" into the AGP slot, now, can I?
Also, will a GFX card with DDRII memory be able to run on a system, running on DDRI ram of 1 GB?
I said above.

If an AGP card fits into an AGP slot. It works. If a PCIe card fits into a PCIe slot. It works. Regardless of what processor, RAM, cabinet, hard disk etc. you have. The only thing which matters is the PSU.

Do current generation of Graphic cards which have GDDR5 memory work with computers with DDR2 RAM? Yes they work completely fine.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

^^ OK. Thanks for the info. But I still have my doubts over buying a "Zotac GeForce 8400 GS 1GB DDR II" of whether it will work with my Pen 4, Mercury mobo's AGP slot. Since I can't possibly know whether it will "fit" into the slot, before buying it. :(

But, thanks anyway, I will try to find other ways.

ajai5777

Youngling

Yeah..Graphic memory has nothing to do with system memory.My ram is ddr3 and Graphic memory of HD 5670 is ddr5, that doesnt matter at all.

btw, found something better for you

AGP HD 4650

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

@ vineet369 - That Zotac 8400GS you mentioned has Pci-e slot which won't work with your current mobo and there's no point in going for a 6200.

If you need some moderate gaming the card mentioned by ajaj suites your needs but that card is a bit overpriced and there's no point in spending that much for a agp card anyway IMO

if your only priority is watching HD movies and some light gaming then you should take a look at this one @ ~2k
Gecube HD2400Pro AGP GC-RX24PGA2-D3

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

@ vineet369
If you need some moderate gaming the card mentioned by ajaj suites your needs but that card is a bit overpriced and there's no point in spending that much for a agp card anyway IMO

if your only priority is watching HD movies and some light gaming then you should take a look at this one @ ~2k
Gecube HD2400Pro AGP GC-RX24PGA2-D3

Yeah, the AGP HD 4650, does seem a bit overpriced for my needs. But Gecube HD2400Pro fits the bill. So the site says, it can play Blu-ray, so does that mean, I would be able to enjoy vids upto 1080p??

Also, here are some excerpts from the website, and my apprehension for it:
1. On-board with 256MB DDR2. So is 256 MB sufficient?
2. DVI display port. So will I be able to connect VGA cable of my LCD monitor to card, or would I won't have to do so, and let that VGA be connected to onboard, like it is now.
3. Memory Bus : 64-bit. 64? Ehh.. :confused: But my OS is 32-bit!

Lastly is it safe to buy from this online at Lynxindia website. (Gecube Graphic Card Model - GC-RX24PGA2-D3 ― Lynx - The Audio , Electronics And Computer Online Store In India)

Sorry, if some of the doubts seem rudimentary. Its just that, investing on h/w always drags me to losses. And GFX, well, it's totally new territory for me.

ajai5777

Youngling

Memory Bus : 64-bit. 64? Ehh.. :confused: But my OS is 32-bit!

You are thinking too much :) first memory type and now this.Thats graphic card bus width 64bit and thats is no way related to your OS :lol:.My Gcard bit is 128 and OS is 64 new cards even have 256 bit width and they can simply run in 32 or 64bit OS :wink:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

memory bits are related to performance of a graphics card. 64 bit is way too less.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

You are thinking too much :) first memory type and now this.Thats graphic card bus width 64bit and thats is no way related to your OS :lol:.My Gcard bit is 128 and OS is 64 new cards even have 256 bit width and they can simply run in 32 or 64bit OS :wink:

Thanks for the clarification. In today's world, having first hand information, pays off. And its better to be vigilant then later-repent. :mrgreen:

memory bits are related to performance of a graphics card. 64 bit is way too less.

Way to less for even playing HD videos purpose?

Top Bottom