Graphics Cards related queries here.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

Would not believe those screen shots of GPU-Z. They are not allowed to display the adapter name till the NDA is over. Highly doubtful. Guess it just 48H more...!

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

Which one is better ?
GTX 570 or AMD 6950 ?

Again from the early benches and rumors ofcourse, gtx 570 is very close to 6970. So it should perform better than 6950. But these are early speculation. Nothing can be said until the cards see the light of day.

mohiuddin

Journeyman

gtx 580 and 6970 are closely priced or are almost the same. Now 6970 has to beat gtx 580 fair and square for getting atleast considered.

Previous rumours suggested the 6970 of having 1920sp's as suggested by forum member "mohiuddin" but according to these pics(which are legitimate imo) it only has 1600. So i guess it's goin to have a tough time beating gtx 580.

Check this

What do you say guys?

rumorz were n't from me.it was from d internet.but wait nd see...only a few hours.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

We are all waiting to see if amd really has what it takes to take down the fermi duo. Though the prices are somewhat confirmed or are very close.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

^^
Wow if that is really the pricing then they will be an instant hit. They will force nvidia to cut down their prices.
But i highly doubt this piece of news as they can't be this cheap. Its already listed in smc that 6970 will be 28.5k and 6950 somewhere near 23.5k for prebook.

LETS WAIT FOR THE RELEASE

Last edited:

aby geek

Cyborg Agent

two things

maybe smc will update to reflect this new change
or
maybe the above pricing is right but in india we will have to pay more which as you know is always the case.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

@ aby geek

I know we pay more in india but not that much more. If we analyse properly, the gtx 580 which is 500 euro's cost 29k here. So how will a 275euro card sell for 28.5k in india.

Smc must have been sure about the prices so they have posted confidently. And fudzilla has been wrong way more no. of times before.

So a perfect launch will only clear all the mist surrounding the caymans.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

I've moved the HD 6950 and 6970 discussion here: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/technology-news/135044-amd-hd-6950-6970-released.html

Please continue over there.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

Guys I am in a conundrum as to what should I buy for 24k. Assume that I'll have to buy something from 14k and rest 10k I may not divest.

Here are the choices which are tempting me:
1. GTX460 Talon Attack for ~14k and an Intel SSD 80GB for ~12k

or

1. GTX 570 for ~22k

Any other suggestions keeping in mind that I will upgrade my system later in 2011.

My rig:
C2D E6300
DG965RY
3GB RAM DDR2 667MHz
Corsair VX 550
2x1TB WD green, 1x160GB Seagate for OS

Cilus

laborare est orare

@ 14K, getting GTX 460 is not a good idea. Get a HD 6870 from Sapphire @ 14.5K. It is better than GTX460.

damngoodman999

damnbadman666

Guys I am in a conundrum as to what should I buy for 24k. Assume that I'll have to buy something from 14k and rest 10k I may not divest.

Here are the choices which are tempting me:
1. GTX460 Talon Attack for ~14k and an Intel SSD 80GB for ~12k

or

1. GTX 570 for ~22k

Any other suggestions keeping in mind that I will upgrade my system later in 2011.

My rig:
C2D E6300
DG965RY
3GB RAM DDR2 667MHz
Corsair VX 550
2x1TB WD green, 1x160GB Seagate for OS

Even HD 6870 bottlenecks ur CPU so try to Overclock more than 3.2Ghz !

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

^^The point is that my current rig will be a bottleneck for any latest hardware but I am considering the purchase for a longer term. So that when I upgrade other components (which I definitely will) then I won't have to upgrade the one purchased now.

Why I am a little hesitant over AMD is because of their nonchalance towards linux users. I bear no other qualms apart from that.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

^^

Get gtx 570. Future proof and performs close to amd 6970. Later you can upgrade the other components and sandybridge would also make its presence felt by jan end.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

Even HD 6870 bottlenecks ur CPU so try to Overclock more than 3.2Ghz !

How can Faun OC on a DG965RY...?

^^The point is that my current rig will be a bottleneck for any latest hardware but I am considering the purchase for a longer term. So that when I upgrade other components (which I definitely will) then I won't have to upgrade the one purchased now.

Why I am a little hesitant over AMD is because of their nonchalance towards linux users. I bear no other qualms apart from that.

Get the fastest GPU currently available if you want it to last long. That is what I did..and am still able to play anything on it.

clear_lot

Journeyman

How can Faun OC on a DG965RY...?

by the "tape mod". i did it for my c2d e7300 and got it to 3.33ghz from 2.6ghz.
my mobo is intel dg35ec.

personally speaking, i would buy an ssd over a card as it will boost overall subjective experience of my PC.
but if you plan to buy a ssd, i recommend waiting till January when new ssd tech is coming (die shrink and new controllers).

your current rig will definitely bottleneck a new gpu.
OC will help though.

price of gtx570 will probably fall quickly now that amd has released 69xx. so wait.

if you plan to invest whole 24k on gpu, how about 2x6850/ 2x460 ?
they will COMPREHENSIBLY beat 570 (assuming you dont game in 2500x1600 / 3x 1920x1080)

if planning on complete system upgrade, wait till january. SB is releasing. THAT you cant miss.

HELL!!! all i have been really telling you is to wait! :)):)):)):)):)):))

Last edited:

damngoodman999

damnbadman666

@asigh

Actually i shud have mentioned that first the upgrade shud be CPU Then GPU !!

As for OCing i dint see the Mobo spec clearly !

@ faun

Try to upgrade the CPU first better get Corei7 950 much sufficient as the gaming Computer !

Yes ,, U r right AMD's GPU fails with Linux , i too suffered long back time with ati cards for linux !!

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

Guys, then I will wait a little longer (probably till Feb end for upgrade).

I have decided to get NZXT Phantom for 8.2k (out of 14k) and apart from that I am left with 5k. What should I get then for 5k ?

by the "tape mod". i did it for my c2d e7300 and got it to 3.33ghz from 2.6ghz.
my mobo is intel dg35ec.

personally speaking, i would buy an ssd over a card as it will boost overall subjective experience of my PC.
but if you plan to buy a ssd, i recommend waiting till January when new ssd tech is coming (die shrink and new controllers).
Yeah, guess I should wait for better SSD controllers and that TRIM thingy.

price of gtx570 will probably fall quickly now that amd has released 69xx. so wait.
Yeah, I should wait for prices to fall down as I won't be gaming too frequently till feb end.

if you plan to invest whole 24k on gpu, how about 2x6850/ 2x460 ?
they will COMPREHENSIBLY beat 570 (assuming you dont game in 2500x1600 / 3x 1920x1080)
I am not sure if I will like 2 cards setup but will see.

if planning on complete system upgrade, wait till january. SB is releasing. THAT you cant miss.

HELL!!! all i have been really telling you is to wait! :)):)):)):)):)):))
Amen.

@ faun

Try to upgrade the CPU first better get Corei7 950 much sufficient as the gaming Computer !

Yes ,, U r right AMD's GPU fails with Linux , i too suffered long back time with ati cards for linux !!
I was thinking about CPU upgrade but tabled that to the advent of SandyBridge.

It's stupid on AMD's part to ignore linux drivers that potentially detracts the prospecting buyers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom